• CitizenWolfie - March 26, 2012 8:34 a.m.

Sad times. My mate works in one of the longest-running stores in Birmingham City Centre (I remember it being there since it was called "Electronics Boutique") and he just announced that he was out of a job as of today. There is just one Game store and one Gamestation store in my town centre now. I preferred to buy at Game mostly because of the points rewards but also because I know the staff there actually play and care about games. It's kinda cool buying something there and the staff would be equally excited about the newest games. It's not the same buying a major day-one release from some goon behind a supermarket checkout who couldn't give a fuck about games.
  • Scuffles - March 26, 2012 9:34 a.m.

Wow, just Wow..... I don't know the ins and outs of administration ..... but not honoring gift cards for which the money has ALREADY BEEN ACCEPTED.... that's just wrong. I know that could turn around and they could start accepting them shortly but they never should have been suspended. A gift card should always be as good as cash in hand.
  • gazzc - March 26, 2012 11:39 a.m.

It is pretty standard for any administration procedure that gift cards are no longer usable sadly.
  • hoba - March 26, 2012 9:41 a.m.

People complain about places like GAME not stocking obscure stuff, but how hard will they be to get hold of at your local Tesco? Might head into Sheffield centre now and see if there's still a store there.
  • jackthemenace - March 26, 2012 1:05 p.m.

Maybe, it'll finally be the killing blow to huge video-game retail outlets, and people will go back to opening sort-of indie game stores, where you CAN buy obscure games, and stuff like imports. Although, I've never actually SEEN one of these, and it sounds an awful lot like it'd be too good to be true...
  • gazzc - March 26, 2012 2:59 p.m.

We used to have 2 such shops in my town, until game and gamestation both opened opposite each other. They had games from years back, right up to the newest imports from japan and you could always go in and try a game before you bought it. They were also always open to negotiating price on any second hand stuff or trade-ins instead of a really bad fixed price.
  • TurkeyOnRye - March 26, 2012 11:03 a.m.

I couldn't imagine going into a store armed with a gift card and credit from previous trade-ins and being told I can use neither. Mind blowing that a company can legally do that... Can a company legally do that?
  • bebl09 - March 26, 2012 11:14 a.m.

You've got credit, but you'll be a long way down the list of creditors who expect to get their money, mainly the company's lenders, so if they can pay off their other debts then people may get the value of gift certificates refunded, but obviously that's looking highly unlikely.
  • gazzc - March 26, 2012 11:47 a.m.

You get to join the administrators list of creditors, if they can't sell the business then you get your share of whats left at the end along with everyone else, although this will likely not be the full ammount, or even anywhere near considering how much debts they had.
  • SDHoneymonster - March 26, 2012 11:11 a.m.

Saw this walking through Bath this afternoon myself - it is odd that they'd close Game and not Gamestation, although they were looking pretty forlorn up there too. The selection in there wasn't always great, but the staff always seemed pretty cool and every time I bought a game to the counter they'd happily chat away with you about it. It sucks that they've lost their jobs and it's being repeated all over the the country.
  • bebl09 - March 26, 2012 11:17 a.m.

While it's sad that people will be losing their jobs and it'll mean a lot less of a presence of video games on the high street, it isn't entirely surprising. When you can get games off Amazon for often at least £5 cheaper on launch day, and then a few months later you can often find a game on Amazon that costs £15-20 more in Game cause they refuse to lower their prices, I don't know anyone except uninformed parents/relatives that would buy from Game rather than Amazon, as they need advice from people in the shop on what little Timmy might like for Christmas.
  • helloimgaydo - March 26, 2012 12:35 p.m.

While I do feel for the people who are losing their job (a few of my friends are among them), fuck Game, seriously, it has to be the worst company I have ever worked for. I don't know why I ever put up with it. The way I was made to treat customers and then the way I was treated by the company was sickening. I'm glad I got out when I did. Still, one good thing about my local store closing is the almighty piss up we'll be having in the pub afterwards.
  • ithurtstopoop - March 26, 2012 12:55 p.m.

me sad now
  • Chappy87 - March 26, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Firstly, I'd like to say I really feel for the staff losing their jobs. Yet again another big company where the average Joe suffers because of the incompetence of the people trusted (and paid big money)to make the big decisions. The irony of the situation strikes me too- can't compete with Amazon's low prices, but the less competition out there the less reason for Amazon to keep prices low...
  • robert-goose-paul - March 26, 2012 1:28 p.m.

looks like i was lucky to sell them my games friday just gone then if they can't take trade-in's for cash anymore.. sad to see them go (if they do go completely) but was kinda inevitable
  • TheLeagueOfNinjaSquirrels - March 26, 2012 2:52 p.m.

It is sad to see yet another empty shop on the high street but my Stockbroker saw this coming about a year ago. Game is always the most expensive compared to other shops such as Tesco, Morrison’s and ASDA by a good £8 to £10 and that’s before you look online. Plus I hate the pushy nature of ALL the Game shops. Countless times I go in to have a look and get bombarded with “pre order this game”. Even when I got my 3DS with Zelda, they continued to pressure me into buying game guides, screen covers and pre orders for games I don’t wont. I know that they are told to sell these products but I and many other people I know stopped shopping there ages ago. Still, sad to see yet more people lose jobs in an already hard time and with Petrol going up weeky and cost of living blowing sky high, things are only going to get worse.
  • Fruitbat - March 26, 2012 3:11 p.m.

For those saying that Gamestation isn't closing, I can confirm that my local Gamestation was the first to go under on Southampton high street.
  • Carthy25 - March 26, 2012 3:35 p.m.

Ah bugger..Oh well, the place really did smell bad. I noticed when i went in last week almost the entire pre-owned section had gone. I'll miss the older helpful guy with the glasses. Sad.
  • goggamanxp - March 26, 2012 3:48 p.m.

I live in the U.S., so this won't take any effect from me. But, I will say that Gamestop in the US will eventually go to this route. It is sad to see these stores go away, and that good people are losing their jobs.
  • Japanaman - March 26, 2012 5:53 p.m.

So GAME has STOPPED a lot of things. Yet, GameStop is just getting started when it comes to being a seller of multimedia.