• CountRichtertoffen - January 29, 2013 1:50 p.m.

There was a thing called the "Sega Activator" for the Sega Genesis, which was essentially an octagon that was put on the floor within which the player stood. Moving arms and legs would activate buttons. Apparently, it was like an inaccurate version of the XBox Kinect, except it came 15 years earlier. Also, good to see Mikel writing an article for GamesRadar again!
  • interasteral7 - January 30, 2013 12:38 p.m.

Do not forget about the EyeToy for the Playstation 2. Sony tried to use the EyeToy as a hands free tool to play their video games on the Playstation 2 and it was pretty accurate to detect the players' movement. I think that is where Microsoft got the main part of the idea for Kinect.
  • richard-morgan - January 29, 2013 1:13 p.m.

Well the problem with any of these idea is that they were "forced" ideas. In other words instead of waiting say ten years even before attempting some of these their makers go ahead and decide it's time to release them instead of perfect them and you end up with failed ideas because they didn't just wait and let things happen as they should have, therefore thats why they are almost forgotten. Does anyone remember the crappy Nintendo VR? You had to sit with this google looking set of eye pieces uncomfortably while you used a controller to navigate around. Now let's jump forward to modern day. What in the crap are Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft thinking making cheesy motion controlled games that suck?! The only real reason I have any use for the Wii is that it allows me to download older games like Zelda a Link to the Past. Now I will admit the newer Zelda games have been extremely awesome to say the least! I tried the Kinect and it was horrid, I hated it. PS Move fun for a minute and then your bored. Wii?? hmmmm ok anyone for Zumba class? Thats all it really is , is a hyped up exercise machine! Id rather go to a real Zumba Class or for a real walk or trip to the bowling alley! Let's face it these toys are way ahead of their time too by at least 10-15 years. The concept is good but having to have tons of space to move around and perform the actions you need to sucks for many! Here's an idea. How bout someone come up with an actual VR system or accessory that is fully functional and works! One where you can enter into a real life combat simulation and actually run around and slide under barricades and debris! One where you can actually sneak up behind and enemy and launch your stealth attack! This would require something along the lines of a treadmill type device and probably would require a single room dedicated to it, but the experience would be well worth it!
  • tiemaisis - January 29, 2013 12:57 p.m.

The Sega channel was way ahead of it's time...and it still kinda is. Considering I have to pay for downloadable games.
  • jackthemenace - January 29, 2013 12:45 p.m.

Whoa- I wasn't even born before most of these things got killed off, but it's weird to think that some of the awful ideas of today are just as bad as the awful ideas of twenty or thirty years ago. That said, the Satellaview system does sound bloody awesome; I'd be more than happy if Xbox Live controlled more like that.
  • profile0000 - January 29, 2013 12:12 p.m.

Great read. I'd never heard of I, Robot before, but holy crap was that thing remarkably ahead of its time.
  • MyCoolWhiteLies - January 29, 2013 11:55 a.m.

Oh man, even as a small child I knew the LaserScope would be about as effective as me punching the screen to kill bad guys.
  • Fuzunga - January 29, 2013 11:55 a.m.

"And aside from possibly being the inspiration for PlayStation Home..." DAMN IT, SONY!
  • ninjaemperor - January 29, 2013 11:14 a.m.

Oh hell yeah! Mikel!