• admjwt - August 2, 2010 4:45 p.m.

i rly dont want DQX to be on the wii. it should be on the ps3. and DQ9 is kicking ass rite now. i love that game
  • Millikin - July 20, 2010 11:02 p.m.

and by FFV I mean DQ5 (Heavenly Bride). Curse your easily confused RPG games, Square! This is the second time I've written FF instead of DQ.
  • Millikin - July 20, 2010 11 p.m.

Never gave DQ any thought before this article was published. Since reading it I have bought FFV on DS and absolutely loved it. Finished the game yesterday. Genuinely fantastic game. Would recommend to any RPG fan. Cheers for the heads up, guys!
  • philipshaw - July 13, 2010 10:22 a.m.

This was a really great read,the only DQ game I have played is DQVIII and that is like you say in the article is because it's the only that has been brought out in the UK
  • Evil_AppleJuice - July 13, 2010 9:33 a.m.

Dragon Quest VIII. I still tell all my friends to get it, or ill loan it to them. Greatest. Game. Ever. It just never ends. When you think its over, hell no, you just started, and it will only get more and more amazing. Plus the map/game is HUUUUUUUUUGGGGEEEEE.
  • Cyberninja - July 12, 2010 8:14 p.m.

@tenfey something tells me your not a fan of the games.
  • Tenfey - July 12, 2010 5:34 p.m.

A new Dragon Quest draws near! Command? >Run
  • Ravenbom - July 12, 2010 11:50 a.m.

Puff puff! I just got DQ9 and I'm excited!
  • JayBeat - July 12, 2010 6:46 a.m.

Never played a DQ game, but thats a interesting history.
  • 510BrotherPanda - July 12, 2010 2:53 a.m.

I thought the Monster combining in Monsters Joker was fun. Thanks on the history lesson, Hen!
  • 8bitBaby - July 12, 2010 2:23 a.m.

PAFU PAFU! @ U @ ~yeeeeeeeeee hee heeeee this is a good run through of the history. awesome. i came in at DQ3, it was the tv show that got me interested. i still play DQ games (tho i never finished 7) and i still go back and watch the episodes of the show.
  • HotCyder - July 12, 2010 2:18 a.m.

Don't forget! Akira Toriyama also did the artwork for another popular RPG from SquareEnix: Chrono Trigger! His artwork was even turned into fully animated cutscenes for the playstation reissue.
  • Vagrant - July 12, 2010 2:11 a.m.

That was a pretty interesting article, I wish it included some screenshots though. Just to see the evolution of the series' graphics.
  • Giinjii - July 12, 2010 1:43 a.m.

Although Dragon Quest 8 was my first intro to the series, I loved the slimes right away and was jealous of my cousin that somehow obtained a PS2 slime controller. Also Mr. Gilbert, when will you be back on TalkRadar?
  • Batman - July 12, 2010 1:37 a.m.

Dragon Quest VIII was/is pure win.It was the last epic RPG IMO all rpgs since have been average at best.
  • Chardan - July 11, 2010 10:28 p.m.

I am definatley getting the new one now. I always stayed away from turn based RPG's due to the random encounter system, and favoured ones like Mario and Luigi where Enemies can be seen in the overworld, which makes all the difference for me, Cant wait.
  • EDfromRED - July 11, 2010 10:19 p.m.

I didn't realize the wealth of RPGs on the Nintendo DS untill I looked up info on Dragon Quest V & IX. I might have to pick one up--might as well wait till 3DS arrives to get it or a Price cut DS. Any suggestions of other DS RPG's of note?
  • 2dboy - July 11, 2010 9:10 p.m.

Nice reading, should get me ready to play DQ9.
  • CH3BURASHKA - July 11, 2010 8:55 p.m.

I love these history articles. Can you guys make it a monthly feature, a retrospective of sorts?
  • Cleanser247 - July 11, 2010 8:54 p.m.

The biggest slime on the railcar looks like he's got his mouth full of something... Good stuff Henry!