We Recommend

• CanadianBeaverHunter - November 11, 2010 3:40 p.m.

Nice work. Thanks for the reminder that the Scott Pilgrim game is half price this week, I go buy now.
  • tailsjacks - November 11, 2010 9:27 a.m.

the only reason i did not watch this movie was becouse off that movie he did with super heros &such i knew i was going to miss out onsomething really good a gem i mist out on but i think i was close to watching it just wish i can traval back in time just a lil bet to watch this movie
  • Spybreak8 - November 11, 2010 8:14 a.m.

Just read a good article about the movies that inspired Scott Pilgrim! http://io9.com/5686693/10-must+watch-movies-that-influenced-scott-pilgrim Man I loved that Shaolin Soccer movie lol.
  • Haikufrenzy - November 11, 2010 5:57 a.m.

@Bass88 That is very true, not to mention Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a fantastic example. Also I do still think though that while Cera may have similarities in the characters he plays, there are much bigger fish to fry when it comes to that accusation (Again Jonah Hill, or Will Ferrell) Also BTW to all those who get the Blu Ray, defiantly watch the movie with the trivia track on. Not only does it point a lot of the video game references out, but it also points out really great small touches like the Katayanagi Twins promotional plushies hanging from the ceiling of the record store.
  • JohnnyApplesperm - November 11, 2010 5:49 a.m.

Awesome feature Chris! What a great freaking movie (and book series)!
  • MrM0n0p01y - November 11, 2010 3:38 a.m.

I have a, perhaps, more accurate guess for the ape/yeti counter summon. My thought is that it is referring to Darunia/Darmani from The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of time/Majora's Mask. Just a thought...
  • batmanboy11 - November 11, 2010 2:40 a.m.

I bought the blu-ray dvd combo pack today. I'll pay attention to these things when I watch it again.
  • Crabhand - November 11, 2010 2:08 a.m.

@Snowyotter That article was specifically for the comics. And any article that gets people interested in Scott Pilgrim is worthwhile.
  • snowyotter - November 11, 2010 1:55 a.m.

good job on already doing the same article in august.
  • bass88 - November 11, 2010 1:15 a.m.

@Haikufrenzy Also, I just can't agree with you about Cera. I'm with you on Jonah Hill but I really find Cera to be a one-trick pony. But hey, it's only my opinion. And Scott Pilgrim may change that opinion. Now Jesse Eisenberg, that's an actor if you ask me :)
  • bass88 - November 11, 2010 1:13 a.m.

@Haikufrenzy My point was that the Coen's films are properly advertised. You know when one of their films is coming out as it's advertised everwhere. The same with The Expendables. There was no mistaking when that film was coming out. Whereas Scott Pilgrim was treated poorly by Universal. My two sisters are as about as "mainstream" as you get. If there is a fad they're following it. I once asked them if they had any interest in seeing the film and they responded with "What's Scott Pilgrim?" I told them what it was and they asked when is it coming out. I told them it's been out for over a week. They, nor their friends had never heard of it. It's a damn shame when that happens. I loved Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (if you haven't seen get it now) but that film box-office made Scott Pilgrim look like a runaway success. It was witty and clever comedy-thriller that played with genre conventions without ever falling into the trap of being pretentious. I showed it my sisters and they thought it was brilliant. Which proved to me that Warner Bros actually bothered to advertise it it could have been much more successful.
  • Haikufrenzy - November 11, 2010 12:19 a.m.

@bass88 Yeah but to me the Coen brothers are also pretty much known for being able to churn out one great movie after another, like to the point where even their worst (Ladykillers in my book) is still better than a lot of different things out there. Also I do think Chris was right in that while a lot of Michael Cera's characters have the same sort of theme to them, they're all different enough to make the films feel different. Now Jonah Hill on the other hand......
  • KaylaKaze - November 10, 2010 9:48 p.m.

Someone should point out that "bob-omb" is the proper name of the SMB enemy, not "bomb-omb" which some people apparently started calling it because they can't read.
  • philipshaw - November 10, 2010 9:31 p.m.

I seen this film in the cinema twice, so I got most of these references but there was some stuff I couldn't figure out on a 2ND viewing so thanks for this list Chris. It doesn't come out on Blu-Ray here in the UK until 27Th December so I may import the Blu-Ray
  • Cleanser247 - November 10, 2010 6:56 p.m.

Great feature Chris! Scott Pilgrim is the best!
  • Cromac - November 10, 2010 5:42 p.m.

I've been reading this site for a few years now, but I finally decide to make an Account just to say this movie is great. Oh and I couldn't even watch 45 minutes of "The Excretables". Great article Chris
  • LarzimusPrime - November 10, 2010 5:19 p.m.

Awesome Article Chris, Cant wait for UK Blu-Ray Release!!!
  • bass88 - November 10, 2010 4:46 p.m.

@haikufrenzy I see where you're coming from. I too worry about the death of smart, inventive cinema. But then I see the Coen Brothers films succeed and my faith in humanity is restored. But those films are well advertised so it's no wonder they succeed. The audience is there for everything. They just need to be encouraged. As for those questioning the Michael Cera hate I'll give you my reasoning. I liked him in Arrested Development. But when I watched him in films I found him to doing the same schtick which grew thin on me. It's like if Steve Buscimi spent his career recycling Mr. Pink (which he could have easily done). I would get wearisome of that too. However, I am going to watch his performance in Scott Pilgrim with an open mind. It is possible, I believe. P.S. I did see Paper Heart and I despised it. Absolutely hated it. I wanted to punch everyone involved in it, everyone on screen and everyone reflected on screen. However, I don't blame Cera for that though.
  • ColinKapow - November 10, 2010 3:03 p.m.

I'm a mother fucker for not seeing this in the cinema but I will redeem myself by buying it soon as its released in the uk. Loved this film to death.
  • cyclone306 - November 10, 2010 1:12 p.m.

Great article I appreciate you, Chris Antista!