• Canova - November 21, 2012 4:15 a.m.

Considering how fast GR dropped those shitty meme articles after everyone complained I think Mr Wells might be projecting a little to much. Biowares response to the DA2 debacle shows that they stick by their games no matter how terrible the game may be. Oh and finally fanbases aren't a hivemind, they're comprised of lots of individuals all of whom want something different from a game or show or whatever, so naturally when you ask them what they want from a product they all suggest adding more of their favorite part which leads to suggestions like a realistic down-to-earth shows that is completely off the wall and filled with magic robots.
  • pimlicosound - November 21, 2012 3:31 a.m.

"a jumbled mess of out-of-place puzzle pieces that are all present and accounted for, but don’t join together in any coherent way" That's not a bad description of the final act of Mass Effect 3. Even when a game developer gets to create a game according to their vision, it doesn't necessarily mean it will be coherent. Many games have stories that fall apart, and the fans are not the ones to blame. Unfortunately, this article shows that the games press by and large still doesn't understand the problem with the Mass Effect 3 affair. It wasn't that gamers felt "entitled", it wasn't that the ending was sad, and it wasn't even that the story wasn't all that good. Let me spell it out for the benefit of any Games Radar editors reading this. 1. BioWare promised that the end of ME3 would not be a simple choice of 3 endings, and that we would have our questions answered to our satisfaction. 2. What they delivered was an end that gave players a simple choice of 3 endings, and then presented that choice and the possible endings in such a confusing way that everyone was left with more questions than answers. 3. None of the major games websites called BioWare on their failure to deliver what they promised. Instead, they blamed the fans when they complained. BioWare and the games press have shown contempt for gamers. If BioWare is reaching out to gamers on Twitter because they have decided to treat them a little better, then that can only be a good thing.
  • dawko - November 22, 2012 6:36 p.m.

Couldn't agree more!!! The failing started with Bioware promising that players will get rewarded for their time they spend in the game. The biggest problem are the saved files, which made the fans believe that their decisions, collaboration within the game matters. And we get to that sad moment, the ending of ME3. The whole game was great so far, everyone is ready for epic conclusion, everyone expects to get an ending based on their previous decisions, and, very crucial fact - IT DOESN'T MATTER IF SHEPARD DIES as long as the ending is satisfying. However, the players get some 5 minutes which are like from a completely different game. Reminded me the ME2 ending which didn't fit to the story neither. Let's say it, ME1 is the jewel that gave us everything we want from a great RPG. It's all Bioware's fault. I don't want to imagine AC being build on the same model - decision making, save files and then asking the players for feedback. If you make a game with decision making and promise them that they will be rewarded, don't be surprised when they get pissed if you fail to deliver!!!
  • jacobus - November 21, 2012 1:05 a.m.

I'm just going to come right out and say it, you of the interwebs can criticize me all you want: I freaking love Mass Effect, and thoroughly enjoyed the ending, even pre-extended cut. It was good, honest, engaging story telling. The fact that the gaming community at large is still up in arms over the supposed tragedy of an ending is proof that Hudson and the rest of Bioware succeeded. They told a story that we all felt like we were apart of, so much so that we're still talking about. Now gtfo your pathetic disagreements on how their story should've ended according to you, cuz I'm sure they care that you would've conceived something different int THEIR. Universe. Go write your own story that engages millions of gamers and you can save the whole galaxy if you want. You can have Garrus and Liara at the same for all I care. As far as Hudson asking gamers what we'd like to see, I feel it's incredibly far-fetched to say this means they've lost direction. They've created an entire universe for us to explore, what's wrong with asking gamers where they wanna go next? It's not like they're asking us to create characters and story arcs. I mean seriously, no one criticizes Michelangelo for painting the Sistine Chapel instead of the fucking sidewalk because that's where he was told toso paint.
  • SerWind - November 21, 2012 4:29 a.m.

Wow no one could have missed the point more than you. You're allowed to like me3 but saying they accomplished something because people are still discussing it is absurd. People are still discussing it because of how monstrously they botched it. And its not just the story that falls flat. People are so upset with mass effect 3 because it completely failed to deliver on the promise that your playthrough would be unique and contribute and change the ending. This is what people who shout down Bioware criticizers completely fail to realize. Much like the article writer did. Its not the fans fault bioware renegged on promises they made up until and right through the release. They flat out lied. This is why people are upset, not just the story, not gay characters.
  • shawksta - November 21, 2012 12:13 a.m.

So would you rank this near Megaman Legends 3 level of concern? Considering Capcom was taking Consumer inputs and pretty much blame the lack of activeness on us on why it got canceled?
  • RebornKusabi - November 20, 2012 11:18 p.m.

I could really care less if the next Mass Effect was a prequel or sequel, gave me a blowjob all night long or cured me of my illnesses, after that fucking utter trash they gave me that carried the title Mass Effect 3, I won't be playing the next one. And I am a man of my word, unlike most gamers. I have yet to play a Treyarch developed Call of Duty and that will never change, the same as I will never play another Mass Effect. As far as this article is concerned, you might have a point but this wouldn't have been the case if the fucks who made Mass Effect 3 actually made an adequate game, because what I played wasn't a AAA game. It was buggy, glitchy, border-line canon-disrupting garbage that game journalists ate each others hype from because of... I don't know, maybe because the first two were so great. Oh and the ending didn't bother me because Shepard lost like a loser and died like someones trash. I love The Mist, I consider Silent Hill 2's In Water ending canon and I enjoy endings that are not happy or even in the realm of "Good" when written properly. The key ending statement here, and where Mass Effect 3 failed at, was WHEN WRITTEN PROPERLY.
  • SentientSquidMachine - November 20, 2012 11:14 p.m.

What happened with ME3 never happened before. The claim that game designers are now afraid is B.S. Bioware does not represent the entire gaming development community. And EVERY developer forum, including Bioware's has always looked for community feedback. Now twitter exist, so they are doing the same thing through a new medium. Beta testing, and focus groups have in around for a long time. What is more likely the case with Bioare is there are disparities in the creative direction.If some of the team wants to take a step back, but the others want to make a sequel, everyone know they can't make 2 games. so hey, let's ask our fans. I'm sure this too has always happened in some capacity.
  • FOZ - November 20, 2012 9:20 p.m.

It's not as though Mass Effect 3 suddenly had questionable writing at the ending. The first game had some awkward space-religion mumbo-jumbo (EMBRACE ETERNITY). Mass Effect 2 retconned huge parts of the first game, had one of the most painful hard resets to force Shepard into the role they wanted, and a completely nonsensical story (how did the Collectors carry hundreds of thousands of humans away one by one before anyone could respond? And apparently scorching the area for miles when their ship lands and takes off doesn't count as leaving a trace). And Mass Effect 3 completely removed the neutral option, as well as numerous scenes where Shepard would act like Paragon even if you were Renegade. Should we blame the media for not catching this sooner? How was literally killing and resurrecting the main character in the first half hour of the game so that everything you worked for in the first game acceptable? Yet critics heaped the awards on Mass Effect 2. They're going to keep calling it one of the best stories this generation even though it makes no sense and the writing is inconsistent. Likewise, critics didn't slam MW2's shitty, hole-filled story, in spite of the praise they gave to CoD4's story. Why do games get away scot-free, but when the people who pay for the games come with criticism, they're "scaring" the developers or "entitled?" I know "give us a better ending or else" is entitlement, but that's one instance. In general, being critical is not the same as being entitled.
  • Lurkero - November 20, 2012 8:02 p.m.

Developers can barely afford to make the games they want to make. Publishers want to fund the games that everybody wants. The end result is that we get developers mashing together ideas from what consumers say they want. I would much rather have a market where developers are free to produce products using their own inspiration and feel comfortable enough that they will be able to profit from said products because consumers like them, not because consumers demanded them. Let's not stifle creativity.
  • Letter11 - November 21, 2012 12:41 a.m.

I agree, but I hope that KickStarter and the Indie scene are the answer. Big publishers like EA and Activision are lost causes. In my opinion, the thought that deeply invested gamers like us buying Okami, and boycotting mass market trends will make a difference is naive.
  • Letter11 - November 20, 2012 7:56 p.m.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to blame the community at large for expressing their opinions about a poorly conceived ending. People who are going to spend their hard earned money on something, be it a game or anything else, have a right to articulate their views. It's unfortunate that Casey seems to have lost his confidence, but that's no ones fault. I find it funny that you brought up Indiana Jones, because although Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was lambasted by the fans, I rather doubt that Steven Spielberg is scared to make another movie the way he deems fit. But in this case the fact that another game is being made out of the series is in my opinion most likely a business decision. It doesn't come across as a burning passion to tell another story in this universe. And since they are treating the property more like a simple consumer product in that regard, it makes sense to do some consumer research. Don't fret though, there are plenty of auteurs like Jonathan Blow (Braid), Brendon Chung (Thirty Flights of Loving), and Kan Gao (To The Moon) who don't care what any of us think.
  • AlbVega - November 20, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Lol @ THE FANS getting already offended by this article. Gamers are the whiningest, most entitled pieces of meat in all entertainment. The vast majority don't deserve good things.
  • brazmanoqk - November 20, 2012 7:19 p.m.

How about this: if they promise something, do it. They promised our choices would matter and it wouldn't be an "A,B or C" ending and didn't come through. So I think the feedback they got was necessary, they didn't come through on what they said they were going to do and now if you promise something to a dedicated fan base, you're going to have to do it or you know what will happen. Don't write cheques that your arse can't cash.
  • LordZarlon - November 20, 2012 7:10 p.m.

I'm sick and tired of you guys, GR and the rest of the gaming media, criticizing us, the gamers, for voicing our opinion on the ending of Mass Effect 3! BioWare has been on the top of the food chain for years and then they get some criticism for their creative choices for once and all the sudden they can't handle it. Their bosses leave and they are rudderless. Did it ever occur to you, Mr. Wells, that they're asking for thoughts because their leadership left them, they finished one story in the Mass Effect universe, and they are just trying to get a feel for where to go next. EA wants to continue the franchise and maybe BioWare isn't really interested in doing that. Maybe there was no plan for after number 3. If you work for EA then you know what your getting into. Mass Effect 3 was a fantastic game by the way.
  • Viron - November 20, 2012 7:35 p.m.

I like how you phrase it as if it was unanimous that the ending was bad. And the opinions that you find yourself defending were, in my opinion, a giant mess of vague and lacking in anyways to improve it other than "make it better". I'm not saying the ending was great, what I am saying is that people seem to keep allowing their hopes to get pumped up and then find out that the hype was just that, hype. And then they seem to blame the developer for not blowing their damn minds. Cynicism isn't good for practically anything but people should never let hype determine their mood for a game or any release. And you know what? I do blame gamer's for their opinions. Gamer's asked for more of what they loved and we got it. We got yearly releases of Call of Duty and Battlefield. We have sequels pouring into our vast maws because we kept repeating how these games are good and how awesome it would be if there were more like them. Shit, one of the biggest gaming companies entire business model is selling the same game for over 20 years. Developers and publishers didn't ruin gaming, the gamers did when we kept buying things and cussing at them under our breath. Opinions are powerful things, never voice one without taking responsibility.
  • Sinosaur - November 20, 2012 6:57 p.m.

Considering I was really disappointed by the original ending and still was able to consider the game an overall personal rating of 'great' the next day, I kind of agree that I'd like to see where they can take things. It's an incredible universe and I want to explore it, but I want that exploration to feel like it fits with the universe I knew even as it, hopefully, explores new parts. So... pretty much, I just want a good Mass Effect game.
  • scottneve - November 20, 2012 6:52 p.m.

When Casey Hudson asked the question on Twitter, I didn't think he was pandering to the fans. I think he was reaching out because BioWare honestly has no vision for the future of the series. BioWare announced months ago it was doing another Mass Effect game and now they're telling us they don't even know if it should be a prequel or a sequel? Darren, it is my fault that I invested so much in the series. I did overreact at the ending. But it's time to move on. To answer BioWare's question: Make up your own mind where you want to go with your stuff. It's not my call.
  • CUFCfan616 - November 20, 2012 6:42 p.m.

"We're talking the original dog from hell" "You mean Cerberus?"