Topics

E3 E3 2012

• vadorsoul - June 6, 2012 9:11 a.m.

The biggest mystery of E3: the price of the Wii U.
  • Squander - June 6, 2012 9:30 a.m.

haha, we may not know the Wii U price but take a look at GameStop - u can pre-order your Wii U-games for nothing less than 99,- USD
  • ParagonT - June 6, 2012 12:08 p.m.

WTF.
  • bboyd - June 6, 2012 9:05 a.m.

Nintendo just left such a bad taste in my mouth this year, right after they killed all my hype Old Yeller style. Firstly, it just looks like they truly have no idea what they're doing. Even the hardcore crowd left this E3 knowing fuck-all about the WiiU. We know it has a screen in the controler, and that. . . there are games for it? We knew that LAST year! What have they been doing to prepare in the meantime? Secondly, how are they trying to sell this machine? Most of the games that have been announced are haphazard ports with WiiU control pad features shoehorned in, accompanied by the laziest Mario game possible. . . oh, and let's not forget another Wii Fit, alongside their sure-to-be-packed-in minigame collection. This thing really is a "Wii 2", aimed at the casual crowd as evident by the focus on Nintendoland, as well as their innovative creation of a karaoke machine (Sing). Casuals sure as hell won't know what to think of this thing. Is it a second Wii? Is it an add on? Is it just a controller? Nintendo is being absurdly vague about this. And how do they expect anyone to buy it without a price and release date? If it is launching this holiday, we need to know so we can begin saving money. Nintendo has a tendency to just hide information if there's the chance it's something we don't want to hear, and we have heard NOTHING concerning specs, dates, or prices. Lastly, and this is what pisses me off the most, they assume Wii ownership. What's that, I need multiple Wii motes to fully enjoy most of your games? Guess what Nintendo? I sold the Wii because it had nothing I wanted to play on it after I bought it at launch. This should be a fresh start, and you begin by showing your largest core game (Pikmin 3) played with a normal Wiimote-nunchuck combo? That doesn't bode well. How much will this thing cost? You said it won't launch under $300, controllers are sure to be well over the typical $50 tag, Wiimotes and nunchuks come up to about $60 a pair. . . and then the games. . . Oh nevermind, there are no games. I was genuinely excited for Nintendo and the WiiU, it's such a cool idea, and one that could easily be sold to the core crowd, but of course that didn't happen. I thought Nintendo learned a lesson, or maybe that they would reaize that lightning may not strike twice, but all they apparetly learned is where the money is at. I was ready to throw money at Nintendo, but after that press conference I want to see the WiiU crash and burn, if only because THAT migh bring back the Nintendo everyone loves. Sorry, I'm done. Just had to get that off of my chest. /Rant OVER
  • TristanPR77 - June 6, 2012 10:28 a.m.

Exactly how I feel about Nintendo, I was hoping this E3 they gave me reasons to buy Wii U but I left with the conviction that Wii U is simply a Wii (HD) with a secondary screen.
  • ParagonT - June 6, 2012 12:11 p.m.

I understand that sentiment, its difficult to comprehend how much Nintendo has taken a liking to the casual crowd. Oh, and how horrible they are doing things.
  • amagasakiseb - June 6, 2012 10:43 p.m.

The only thing I like about the Wii U is that you can play the game on the gamepad screen even when your TV is doing something else. Even then, it's not enough to make me want to buy one. If I could buy one without the big gamepad (and save some money) and just buy the regular "pro" pad thing, I might consider it. Even then, I'd be more inclined to wait for the next-gen.
  • taokaka - June 6, 2012 8:54 a.m.

My mysteries are what happened to that ratchet and clank game that was announced like two days before e3? and why haven't I burst up in tears yet about how boring this years e3 conferences were?
  • Clovin64 - June 6, 2012 8:39 a.m.

I will f***ing cry oceans if The Last Guardian gets taken out behind the shed and unceremoniously shot through the brainbox. Creul, creul Sony! Say it 'aint so!
  • WinkedUp Lozza - June 6, 2012 8:32 a.m.

You guys given up on Half-Life 3?
  • JMarsella09 - June 6, 2012 8:32 a.m.

I want the Vita to do well so bad. It has so much potential but Sony is squandering it. It has been shown to work. Gravity Rush, Uncharted, Blazblue, Rayman, Katamari, but the price and the fact that Sony is just letting it sit in the corner will kill it.
  • WinkedUp Lozza - June 6, 2012 8:41 a.m.

It needs a price drop. Especially in Australia, but nonetheless, it needs a global price drop.
  • Redeater - June 6, 2012 9:45 a.m.

Or at the very least a mem card price drop and a PS3 type Uncharted console bundle.
  • Travia220 - June 6, 2012 8:28 a.m.

The Tech Demo from Square-Enix is just that.. A tech demo. I think people forget this little aspect. Many Engines have Tech Demo's. Unreal 3 has had multiple ones over the years and nobody has ever attempted to push that engine to it's fullest. The tip of the iceberg on CryEngine 3 hasn't even been hit. The fact is these tech demos are in no way a representation of what you'll see in games. Also, stop dismissing PC's. Oh nos! Developers are putting effort into a PC Port, it just can't be true! It has to be because of the nextgen. This is just history repeating itself. PC's will get love until the PS4/next Xbox pick up pace and then it will be the same shit all over again. PC's being held back, then towards the end of the next cycle they will pretend PC gamers are their best friends by giving us the better looking game. (This is in reference to Watch Dogs and Star Wars 1313.)
  • GR_DavidHoughton - June 6, 2012 8:48 a.m.

I'm in no way dismissing the PC. In fact I'm one of the biggest advocates of the PC and PC gaming on Radar, for a whole lot of reasons. But the fact is that in terms of mass-market hype, the consoles are where the publishers are aiming these days (though yes I know, the PC gaming market is more than healthy, whatever the uninformed naysayers might say). For at least two big console-focused devs to make PC demos their focal point is just culturally weird given the current state of things. They're definitely using them as a tease for the whole future of gaming, next-gen consoles included.
  • jmcgrotty - June 7, 2012 2:45 a.m.

Hypothetical: Maybe the "Tech Demo" from Square-Enix wasn't always a "Tech Demo". Maybe it is a rebranded "Game Demo" after being told they can't mention that it is a real game from the next gen.