Topics

E3 Nintendo

• Polarzombies - June 9, 2011 2:23 a.m.

I think that even though it does look like a powerhouse it still has the viable competitors of Sony and Microsoft. The beef I have with the new Nintendo console is that I am not sure how the controller feels in my hands because I fear it might be to big to play with traditional games.On the other hand if I was able to adjust and conform I may be drawn in. But Nintendo may be able to make a comeback if Nintendo would be able to sign on with multiplatform games that now have only been exclusive to PC,Xbox 360 and PS3. However, if Nintendo can sign on the next Call of Duty or L.A. Noire they may be able to capture back some more marketshare. Although, if they are able to do this they would need to develop a viable social service to compete with PSN and XBL. I still have high hopes for Nintendo.
  • MrSegraves - June 9, 2011 1:54 a.m.

@arguseyed When I said taking the console market, I meant games wise. Yes, they have led in console sales, but the software for the Wii just wasn't there. I'm talking about going back to the grand old days when they led in console sales as well as software for that console. That's what they've done in handhelds, whooped ass on hardware AND software. They need to catch up on consumer confidence, in other words.
  • WelcomeGhosts10 - June 9, 2011 1:21 a.m.

This may be my absolute favorite E3 article, so well done and really enjoyable to read. Personally, I am really excited about the WiiU I think it is going to be simply amazing!
  • Spybreak8 - June 9, 2011 1:13 a.m.

Nice read, I'm still up in the air about the Wii U, god horrible name, but they sold me on the 3DS. The amazing game lineup is back and this time they have release dates!
  • dsvip - June 9, 2011 1:03 a.m.

I agree, hardcore games doesnt make wiiU unique, so doesnt interest me, and as i mentioned earlier, wouldnt interest hardcore gamers who already own the PS3/ xbox. So all its left with is nintendos mainstream games, and like you said, they suck, nintendo cant good games for themsleves anymore. Zelda spirit tracks did suck, every zelda game sucked except for OoT, but the remake sucks to me, like all remakes. The wii was a piece of junk, all of its main nintendo games were bad, especially galaxy. No game really can keep you playing it. Pretty much the same for DS too, but i liked its third party exclusive games so DS doesnt count. But, unlike you, i also hate pokemon. To bits. It seems every main nintendo franchise is really just the same over again, fluctuating in how good it is, so it even gets worse sometimes. Graphics may not make these nintendo games what they are, but theyre not so good otherwise either.
  • DarkLoveWisheS - June 9, 2011 12:44 a.m.

All I can say right now, is that I still do not forgive Nintendo for creating a horrible Zelda game (Spirit Tracks, I mean really? Train tracks to seal an evil force? Zelda herself used to be at least wise and made women look at least decent in games but in Spirit Tracks she turned into a 12-year-old hitting her first signs of puberty. That's a princess?) or for it's dumb Wii games my Dad thought he'd like (A week later after he bought the Wii, it started collected dust.) I believe Sony could do a kick ass job with Zelda games and proves to be completely better than Nintendo. The only thing I was content on with Nintendo was Pokemon, but then again how hard is it to create the same game play over and over again? Big titles like Zelda, Pokemon, and Mario are the only things that keep it alive and it is a shame that Nintendo can't even use those titles to there full potential. And really? I don't want to buy another piece of junk to go with the Wii. "Oh cool, I can throw stuff... virtually." So excited for Battlefield? I can already play that on my Ps3. So what if you got some hardcore titles? How does that even make you unique? Once Nintendo makes better unique games for its self and isn't aimed towards this gen's children, then just maybe, just maybe, I'll cave in, but for now, you can forget it. "Cool" new console + horrible games = Still not a good console.
  • dsvip - June 9, 2011 12:43 a.m.

Honestly, one of the things i want to do is play my MH tri online account portable on this thing. Seems possible, but, the console cant do it. You cant transfer files from the wii of games that have online, and like i mentioned, this thing isnt even a portbable console, you have to be in range of the wiiU and it has to be on. boo. And things can get even worse, or slighlty better depending on the new information i find out, as there is still so much i dont know. Eg, is there a volume slider? Can you charge while playing or must it be docked? Can you really not press the analog sticks? Is there really no back camera, so you cant take pictures thats not of yourself? And other specs that were not told, eg memory, camera megapixels etc. So far, the more i find out, the worse it gets. I was actually quite happy with it from the start. Didnt mind the name or how the controller looked.
  • dsvip - June 9, 2011 12:31 a.m.

Also, no PS3/ xbox owner will be willing to play this instead, it really doesnt do anything more, and as far as hardcore goes, its worse. It must have the fundamentals, eg comfortable, analogs that can be pressed, better analog positioning, or it will never pass as a better hardcore console: just a console that offers some hardcore gaming and the usual nintendo games, which doesnt matter to them. For hardcore multiplatform games, the wii version will not be the better version. For hardcore exclusives, yh right lets see that happen: that any seriously good exclusive hardcore will come on the wiiU that will make ps3 and xbox gamers buy the wiiu.
  • dsvip - June 9, 2011 12:26 a.m.

The way i see it, its a huge disappointment from what i know so far. It may be a combination of many things, but its a half assed version of all of them. Want to play hardcore games? Well you cant press the analog sticks, so 2 less buttons, and the controller looks uncomfortable. So its a portable console? No, just a screen to display the game, has no other qualities of an eniter console, the non portable wiiU has to do that for it. So, it competes with ipad? No, its usless if not within range of the TV, and its touch screen isnt multitouch. Even still, you might think at worst, its just at least regular controller, save for uncomfortability. But it gets worse. You can only have one connected to the console, any form of multiplayer must use the wii remote otherwise. There goes any real multiplayer, and leaves us with gritty party style multiplayer 'fun'. At least it plays 5 players... well i dont give a damn. Its already around the same good, or worse than ps3/ xbox, but soon theyll release a new console, and it will be like the wii, not the dreamcast, it will be a generation behind, imo the dreamcast wasnt behind at all, i liked it more. Halo 5 will come in 5 years in a new xbox console if its to release on it? Doesnt mean thats when the new xbox comes, halo isnt the only game on it. And when it comes down to it, the psp2 can do what the wiiU can. No, it does not have a small screen, the difference in sizes cannot mean the difference between can do what wiiu can do and cant do what wiiu can do. And the screen is actually better for that stuff, because its 1080p, and multitouch, the wiiU isnt. So far, wiiU calls for a major failure.
  • ollyn - June 9, 2011 12:17 a.m.

For this to be popular with 3rd party it needs to ship units to "game buyers", something the Wii didn't really manage it was great for Nintendo but it was terrible for 3rd party. They might love the opportunity to create innovative ways to play on it but if the numbers aren't there the big wigs will say no. The thing that worries me about this more than anything is 'Who is going to buy it?' The Yays - Fan Boys obviously - Hard Core Gamers with enough disposable income to warrant a 2nd or third system - Tech fans (Ones who are semi interested in games though as Ipad reiterations each year sap a lot of these guys cash). The Nays - Current casual wii owners are unlikely to trade in. - One console owners aren't going to bother as they can play battlefield and batman on their current console (at this point in the generation thats a lot of people). PS3 fans won't trade a blu-ray and media centre for a semi ipad, likewise for 360 owners. Is this enough to form a base that 3rd party are interested in? Is an amalgamation of secondary console, fan boy and tech fans enough to warrant making a game for this? I also kind of expect Microsoft to try and steal the thunder with some DX11 Samaritan+ capable machine at next years e3 just to steal focus.
  • Taxtm - June 9, 2011 12:03 a.m.

Ain't gonna lie, this article, in all it's psyco-schizophrenia, just made my day.
  • Jellyjiggler2 - June 8, 2011 11:59 p.m.

Awesome article, pretty much describes how I feel too. WiiU looks like it will be one of two things: 1.The Wii again (BAAAAAAAAAAAAAADDDDD) 2.The absolutely gorgeous baby had by an iPad and a PS3 Hard to say which at this point, but I'm trying to stay open to either outcome. This is Nintendo, they're never neutral. There is no "Meh" for them. It's a massive success, or a complete disaster. The Wii U will be no different
  • Crimmy - June 8, 2011 11:35 p.m.

New series: David's Mind Weekly. Make it happen.
  • WarWasp - June 8, 2011 11:21 p.m.

@Metroidhunter32: I agree.I hope they make it a little more ergonomic.I looks like a paver...
  • WarWasp - June 8, 2011 11:20 p.m.

Once again,great article David.You're one of the best writers on staff.I actually agree with BOTH Davids to varying degrees.I love Nintendo,they are essentially the pioneers of "modern" gaming (fuck Pong,I don't care what anyone says about Pong being the "original") and they have had some major hits through the years (anyone heard of Mario?Zelda?Metroid?).That said,they have had some epic fails too (*cough*Wii*cough*).I don't think anybody can say anything definite until we have more to play off of,but I hope that this won't be just another step lower on the console food chain for Ninty.We all just have to watch and wait until they release more info.Oh,that and pray to God that they change the name.
  • Rapids16 - June 8, 2011 10:40 p.m.

This article makes me question Dave Houghton's sanity
  • batouyukinawa - June 8, 2011 10:39 p.m.

I think we're all quickly forgetting Nintendo's past. Sure, the Wii was a blatant slap in the face to any core gamer, but Nintendo used to be a toy company people. Nintendo has always been about true innovation. I think Nintendo has failed enough in the past (Virtual Boy, Power Glove ect.) to know what they are doing. I'm sorry, but seeing some of the aspects of this controller in action has inspired me in so many ways. When I saw that demo where the controller acts as a window into the game I about flipped. Could you imagine strapping that onto a Wii zapper, and actually looking through the iron sights/scope of a digital gun? How accurate and responsive you would be? Think about the immersion you would feel. And this is something you don't have to do all the time, which is the systems main strength. I think Wii was a decent idea, but the problem was, it was incorporated to much into the entire concept of the Wii. All games had to use this motion crap. Like the DS/3DS the WiiU doesn't force it's gimmick onto the game. I think that's why DS was more functional then the Wii. It still allowed us to play it like a handheld, but it also had a little something extra. and brought many innovative ideas to how a game plays. We can't forget that.
  • IceHawk79 - June 8, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Eh, I dont know if I will be buying this. =(
  • Metroidhunter32 - June 8, 2011 9:53 p.m.

I despise how the controler looks, and my hands cramp when I even imagine how it feels. But the tech is good enough to make that irrelevent. Besides, anyone remember the bannana shaped PS3 controller? It might change.
  • DrRock - June 8, 2011 8:47 p.m.

Nintendo might still be selling a ton of consoles but look at the actual numbers of games being sold. The million sellers are years old. What everyone even the author has failed to touch on is the online service. Right now Nintendo's service is abysmal. Are you gonna want to play Battlefield and other MP titles with friend codes and a speaker built in on the controller? Nintendo needs to address their online service as well when they debut this new system. I for one am not looking forward to a new Nintendo console. I want a list of top AAA launch games, price points and online service connectivity. Once they've done that I might consider a Wii U