• ParagonT - April 3, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Most of these "reasons" are pretty repetitive and not logically biased and more based on your "what you want the game to be." I will address a few of the problem I see and differ on: The art is too fruity (like DMC4), the DMC series is supposed to be a more dark series with a dark tone, not a bowl of fruit loops. I doubt having most creatures out in the middle of the day in these bright worlds are very scary or have a "threat" factor. It's almost like having -Left 4 Dead- becoming -Left 4 Dead 2- for me, they just got ridiculous and removed the "threat" and scare factor. Also, DMC's have always been about the typical "superhero" protagonist with extraordinary powers, to try and break away from the series and shell out a "different game" is a bit.... stupid. Why don't they make a new IP if they're trying to be "different"? Why tie yourself to an existing franchise and try and change it? It's obviously going to have this reaction to it. Some may like it, hell, I may like it, but so far I'm not even close to being compelled to put down money for this. In all, I'm not impressed.
  • BladedFalcon - April 3, 2012 4:46 p.m.

"The art is too fruity (like DMC4), the DMC series is supposed to be a more dark series with a dark tone, not a bowl of fruit loops." I am sorry, but i heavily disagree. I don't ever recall the games being about that at all. While the series has always been about demons and demon hunters, it never really tried to be scary or all that threatening. To me, it's always been about being stylish and over the top. From the very first game this was evident with the gameplay: It's not a survival horror game, it's an action game that rewards you from pulling crazy combo chains and dealing with ridiculously over the top bosses. And if anything, dmc3 the most universally beloved game of the franchise drives that point further: Everything that happens is even more ridiculous and over the top, hell, the game even gives you an electrical guitar for a weapon, how is that in any way supposed to be dark? I love both DMC1 and DMC3 for these reasons, but I would never really consider them dark
  • ParagonT - April 4, 2012 12:39 p.m.

I agree that it's definitely supposed to be an over the top kind of game, but the whole feel really is a gothic, puzzle-solving, "Watch out! The damned of hell are chasing after you!" kind of feel to me (Especially with the Coal Chamber music going on). As someone that replied to you said, its pretty messed up when they are giving you a style rating for ripping apart the damned and cracking jokes when the world is obviously about to go to crap. Also, the scare factor personally comes when your playing on the higher difficulty modes. Such as when the Reaper is almost able to pretty much one/two hit you. That's freaking terrifying. Alas, this is all really a personal opinion, to each their own.
  • CombatWombat101 - April 3, 2012 6:43 p.m.

Uhh, what? When has Devil May Cry ever been "dark"? Seriously, did you miss the pizza / dance / disco fight at the beginning of DMC3? Yeah man, I think the mark of a truly dark game is when it rates how "stylish" my combos are. Shit's dark as hell.
  • Beartoe - April 4, 2012 3:55 p.m.

props^^
  • shawksta - April 3, 2012 8:13 p.m.

"dark series with a dark tone" Pffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft Are you sure your looking at the right game? The point of the series as BladedFalcon says was to be an action game thats just stylish in many ways. and honestly, they shouldnt keep a darker tone, an action packed ridiculous game like DMC needs more colors to show the mood, the only "dark tone" was the villains when their not being ridiculous, like Virgil.
  • ParagonT - April 4, 2012 12:28 p.m.

Have you played DMC3? The whole feel is about the damned chasing after your rocker/punk ass while he casually spins off jokes when it seems that the whole damned (see what I did there?) world is about to be destroyed. I'd say that's dark, but hey, to each their own.
  • Claymore65 - April 3, 2012 3:39 p.m.

I don't know, I really liked "ninja turtle" Dante. I truly doubt that an emo version of Dante. Sure, Dante is extremely cocky and kind of a jerk, but he's extremely entertaining. To be honest, I'm not sure why they redesigned him. I did love Heavenly Sword though, so I'll be watching this game.
  • Redeater - April 3, 2012 3:28 p.m.

We only need one reason. Because the series couldn't have been more boring and was threatened by games like Bayonetta. Plain and simple. (Wow what is going on when I'm one of the more positive posters on here?)
  • stitchjones - April 3, 2012 3:17 p.m.

Nice try to promote the game Hollander. But the answer is no.
  • ParagonT - April 3, 2012 3:28 p.m.

Agreed.
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 3, 2012 4:10 p.m.

Disagreed. I don't think this list was particularly great, but I believe NT can make a great DMC game. The combat is being co-designed by NT and Hideaki Itsuno (the guy behind DMC 3 and 4 which regardless of what anyone says were BOTH great games in terms of combat), and Capcom is making constant visits to NT to make sure the game doesn't get completely away from the soul of DMC. As far as the Bayonetta is better argument, I didn't like it as much as DMC. It was a little too over the top. I didn't think it was bad because it would be ridiculous to say so. The game was just a tad to silly for me. I think that NT will make a good or even great game here with a coherent story which as the article said is something that's been lacking in DMC. The first game's story was pretty rote, but 3's was good. I don't like that people are writing off the game before trying or even bothering to look up facts about the game. It's unfair to Capcom or NT who will both lose money if this game isn't good. Tameem Antoniades (NT's creative director) even said that Capcom told them that their first redesigns for Dante were too much like the original. I'm confident that this game will be good, and now I just want a release date.
  • ParagonT - April 4, 2012 12:23 p.m.

Fair? Does it seem like I care about fairness of a multi-million dollar company? I'm a consumer, I'm more interested in what is best for us, and what we like, not what will make a specialized company make millions. People treat these companies like saints. Frankly I don't care if you think that I have to put money down and try every game or have to look up "facts" which are quite subjective. I just said one word. Please, quit generalizing everyone who doesn't align with your view.
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 4, 2012 12:34 p.m.

Developers aren't multi-million dollar companies; Capcom is, but if you like Capcom games then you have to buy from them if you want Capcom to continue publishing games. Ninja Theory has one successful game, and they're just coming off of a critically acclaimed but poor selling game, so it isn't likely that they have much money. Their money comes from publishers, so I'm sure that if this game doesn't do well for them, they could very well close. That's not to say you should buy the game if it's not good, but from the looks of things, I don't think it will be. So, when I said that it isn't fair to them, I meant it's not fair to write off an experience before playing it. I'm open to the possibility that this game may not be good, but I like what NT has done in the past, and I like DMC, so I'll probably like this. And I wasn't just reading your one word. I read your previous comment which was more in depth (on page 2 of these comments I believe). Don't get bent out of shape. I just want to have a conversation about our opposing views, and I don't mind if you don't align with my view. There's no reason we can't be civil even though we're on the internet.
  • AlbVega - April 3, 2012 3:16 p.m.

You guys are idiots. Devil May Cry is about COMBAT, and Ninja Theory has NEVER done combat well. Who cares about another "alternative" take on Journey to the West? How much is Ninja Theory paying you guys?
  • Redeater - April 3, 2012 3:30 p.m.

Enslaved was a damned great game. I'll ask you to kindly keep your filthy mouth shut. :)
  • ultimatepunchrod - April 3, 2012 4:12 p.m.

Did you play Enslaved? There are legitimate complaints to be leveled at that game, but the game as a whole was fantastic, and the combat in DmC is being co-designed by Ninja Theory and Hideaki Itsuno (the guy behind DMC 3 and 4 which regardless of what anyone says were BOTH great games in terms of combat).
  • n00b - April 3, 2012 4:44 p.m.

this been saying this forever