• bass88 - January 3, 2013 11:18 a.m.

Just a thought, America. There are mone guns in your country than dildos. You don't read stories about dildo-related deaths often now, do you? Seriously, if you really, really need to blame the media - target PG-13 films. According to those films there are no lasting, brutal consequences to violence. Not the message I want a child learning. RoboCop may have been as gory as fuck but I don't see kids wanting to emualate it.
  • Edias - January 3, 2013 12:09 p.m.

Sex related deaths are usually glossed over by the media, if they're even mentioned at all, unless they involve a celebrity. Brustal massacres, however, receive lots of attention. As usual, our society would rather pretend that sex doesn't exist.
  • AqueousBoy - January 3, 2013 12:46 p.m.

I don't think sex exists for most gamers, too. Heyo! Zing! Am I right, or what?
  • bass88 - January 3, 2013 4:04 p.m.

*crickets chirping*
  • BladedFalcon - January 3, 2013 11:08 a.m.

..Why the hell would you destroy it? that's a waste of everyone's time and effort. You could just simply it give it away to the town/city you hate the most, and hope they will get corrupted and kill each other due to the corrupt influence of such media ;)
  • alex-roy-bristol - January 3, 2013 11:05 a.m.

I live here, and an contemplating buying cheap crappy violent games and getting money for them... :| But I also really hate that we as a state would do this...
  • alex-roy-bristol - January 3, 2013 11:08 a.m.

Shoot, never mind, I was honestly going to just buy moar videogames, but they're only vouchers for food and family entertainment (bowling) and shit... WHO NEEDS THAT!?!? :O
  • bass88 - January 3, 2013 11:21 a.m.

Can you use the vouchers to purchase weapon related items?
  • UD Jester - January 3, 2013 11:05 a.m.

So media unsuitable for children doesn't deserve to exist at all? That seems really wrong to me. Man, if only there was some sort of rating system or something to help differentiate between what games are appropriate for children, and which are not... It frustrates me how some parents are blind to certain things regarding video games. I can understand that they believe it is for the safety of their children, given recent circumstances, but that doesn't change the fact that this is practically just like burning books.
  • EAC73 - January 3, 2013 11:28 a.m.

couldn't of said it better my friend
  • Sinosaur - January 3, 2013 12:08 p.m.

The point they seem to be trying to get across is that some media isn't appropriate for children, and parents should become more involved in determining what they truly believe is suitable for their kids, and if they find that they've given something for their kids that they no longer feel is appropriate, they can turn it in at this event.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - January 3, 2013 2:22 p.m.

So that gives them the right to destroy it? Just like other people in the comments have said, this is the exact same thing as book burning. Instead of destroying games, parents should instead be smart enough to look at the rating before buying an M rated game for their child.
  • Sinosaur - January 3, 2013 5:11 p.m.

I don't think they're going about this the right way at all, I was just stating that their intention was to get parents to think more about what sort of media they let their kids consume, not that the media shouldn't be allowed to exist if it wasn't appropriate for kids. This isn't exactly like book burning in that book burning is about spectacle: they pile up the books and set them ablaze in front of a crowd to send a message. This event is going to involve people handing over media that will, from what I read in the article, be destroyed later. I'm not saying that I agree with the event, just hoping to keep objections to it in line with what they're actually doing instead of hyperbole.
  • sxh967 - January 7, 2013 11:35 a.m.

I see what you're trying to say but this was all voluntary, wasn't it? If I buy a video game today (or a toaster or a television or any of a number of different items), I have every right to destroy using any method I choose (as long as it doesn't harm others). Buying the games (or other media) in the first place gave them the right to destroy them, but whether it is a good thing to do? That's another story.
  • GraphicRogue - January 3, 2013 12:29 p.m.

Censorship is saying a man can't have a steak because a baby can't chew it. Look at the hate they threw at Mass Effect on its Facebook page when they thought Ryan was the shooter and his facebook liked Mass Effect. People calling it a filthy murder trainer and corrupting and leading people to shootings and loads of dumbshit. The Mass Effect series has more on morality and long term consequences than any other form of media. Games aren't commonly referenced in general media so it remains the mysterious subculture to some people so its easy to pin sins on something people know nothing about.