KNOCKOUT KINGS MOVE LIST / TIPS FAQ v. 1.0
By: Gino Caparas (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Last Modified: Jan. 21, 1999
Copyright G. Caparas 1999
TABLE of CONTENTS
II. What's New
IV. Tips During Gameplay
V. Move List
VII. Other FAQs
Hello! This is my Knockout Kings move list / tips FAQ. Are you one of those
poor, battered souls who always lose? Ever had this type of dialouge?
TV: "The winner by TKO....... Chip the Champeen!!"
Player: "Crap! This is my 3rd time I lost! I need to do the cheap shots!"
(played again, but lost)
TV: "The winner by disqualification........ Chip the Champeen!!"
Player: "GRRRR... useless game! I shouldn't have bought you!!! (sob)"
The next day...
Player: "I'll try again."
(tried again, but failed...)
TV: "The winner by....
Player: "Gahh!!! This is useless!!!"
What's the solution to these sleepless nights? An FAQ! Yep! This FAQ contains
moves, tips and combos that may be helpful to your game. Now, what are you
waiting for? I quote: "Let's get it ON!"
II. WHAT'S NEW
Want a list of the newest I've put? Here...
Only the letter "K" is present.
The things you see now. Surprising, isn't it?
Here are the default controls for this wonderful game:
D-Pad: SELECT: n/a Triangle: Uppercut L1: Block High
Move around START: pause Square: Left Punch L2: Block Low
Circle: Right Punch R1: Penalty shot toggle
X: Body Shot R2: Powershot toggle
L2 + R2: Change Stance R1 + R2 + X: Taunt
L1 + R1: Clinch (hold your opponent) L1 + forward: shove opponent
L1 + L2: Bob and Weave (dodge, actually)
IV. TIPS DURING GAMEPLAY
Need help when fighting the computer guys? Always counted out by that big
lights-out punch? Drooling for the Championship Belt? Want to be the pro and
sweep the floor with your opponent's face? Want to kick your friend's BIG,
FAT............ CONTROLLER??? DO YA WANNA WIN????? Then read these:
- Career mode always gets progressively hard. It takes a lot of practice, and
it's OK if you lose.
- In carrer mode, try to fight your opponents one by one. It may take longer,
but it allows you to train more.
- If you lose, keep your hopes up: this also enables you to use the Power Bag
and the Speed Bag more.
- Frequently switch between Right-handed and Southpaw stances by pressing
L1 + L2 to confuse your opponent.
- Use your powershots sparingly: your energy will drop down, leave you tired
and open for a big shot.
- Use cheap shots as soon as the match starts. Just be careful and don't get
- Whenever the opponent punches, grab the opportunity and smack him while
- Try to cut the opponent's face. When blood comes spurting out, use that cut
as a target to deal more damage. Best seen with first-person view.
- Shove the opponent to the corner then smack him with a powershot. This is a
great life-drainer. You'll be disqualified if you shove too much.
- Never use a Penalty shot to knockout someone unless you're playing Slugfest
mode. If your opponent falls when doing this, you may get disqualified.
V. MOVE LIST
There aren't actually any moves like in wrestling games here, but these may
help even one bit.
Square: Left punch
Circle: Right punch
X: Body shot
i. POWER SHOTS: Hold the Power Shot button and press these:
Triangle: Multiple shots
Square: Multiple shots
Circle: Right Hook
X: Multiple shots to jaw
ii. SPECIAL POWERSHOT MOVES:
forward + X: big body shot (doesn't work for Butterbean)
(as Sugar Ray Leonard) Powershot button + Circle: right hand wind-up fake
Powershot + Tri./ Square / X, then immediately press forward:
flying hook / uppercut (doesn't work for Butterbean)
(as Butterbean) Powershot + Tri/square/X, then forward: forward jab thrust
iii. PENALTY SHOTS: Hold the Penalty button and press these:
Square: Left Kidney Punch
Circle: Right Kidney Punch
X: Low Blow (at last!!!)
iv. CLINCHED POSITION: While hugging your opponent by pressing L1+R1, press
Directional pad: move opponent
Triangle: Head Butt, automatic desqualification
Square: jab to face
Circle: body shot
X: break up
No buttons pressed: regain lost energy (not life!)
(Clinching won't work all the time since you'll have to break up later on when
the referee notices.)
v. OTHER USEFUL COMBOS / MOVES:
- Shove in corner then powershot = med-high damage
- hold up to move around opponent, keep pressing Square/Circle = low damage
- Square, X, Circle, Triangle = med damage
- Square / Circle alternately = med damage
- Circle, Square, right hook, low blow = high damage, VERY hard to pull off
- (in Southpaw stance) Square, Square, Circle = med damage
(in right-handed stance) Circle, Circle, Square = med damage
Here's my very small list of creditable people:
- EA Sports for making this GREAT game. Love it!!
- My folks for buying the PSX and the games... including Knockout Kings!
- All the boxers in this game. Without them, this game's just a dream!
VII. OTHER FAQS
Please check these other FAQs!
-Xenogears walkthrough / FAQ part 1
-Xenogears walkthrough / FAQ part 2