• threadspool - June 26, 2010 1:26 p.m.

When I lost a game I would shrug it off, join a lower ranking server to dominate it to increase morale, and then I would go back to the higher ranking servers to try again. XD
  • Mexiflan - June 26, 2010 6:56 a.m.

This is an amazing article,and it actually helped me. Some of the things mentioned i knew,some i didn't,but they were all really useful. I'm going to bookmark this,and give it a read every now and then. reCAPTCHA: the cocoa
  • Sickooo - June 26, 2010 5:51 a.m.

how very deep... lol
  • secretsearcher - June 25, 2010 9:03 p.m.

great article. very insightful. I have been on both ends of the spectrum for your "cheap" scenario. I have been called cheap (for doing things people don't like) and I have called people cheap (because they did stuff I didn't like). I completely agree with your rejection of the cheap concept. no matter how "cheap" something might seem, a loss is a loss. Also, I found that video of the grenade spammer really interesting. ACtually, instead of thinking he was annoying, I thought "it's cool that he knows exactly where to aim to do that, he must have spent a lot of time perfecting that technique". Just like you said, what is "cheap" and what is "skillful" depends entirely on point of view and opinion.
  • NightCrawler_358 - June 25, 2010 6:28 p.m.

These are great tips! and I'm so glad you guys got a new video player!
  • flare149 - June 25, 2010 4:55 p.m.

Amazing article, I love reading about Psychology and Philosophy. One thing that really stood out for me was about learning something other players call bad because they don't like it and want you to play their game. For example, I pride myself on switching around weapons in shooters so that if I run out of ammo I can be pretty confident that whenever I pick up a gun I can use it, knowing it's strengths and weakness. However there are still a few weapons I avoid (the blast shield and TMP in MW2 for instance) that I don't use because others specifially tell me they are bad, much as you said in the article. While trying to use them I did get frustrated and gave up using them, much as your article says, and determined that they are not good for my playstyle, which is silly since my play style is based around team work and being able to pick up any gun and know how to use it. That said, after reading this I think I will give them another shot, partially because I recently played a game with grenade spammers recently and I completely forgot about the blast shield, which is really unhealthy for my play as a whole because you should always know what options you have, even if it's just limited to different weapons or loadouts, and secondly because I remember hearing someone say "Learn the weapons that no one uses. It will confuse your opponents and make you a stronger player because they won't be used to what they're now facing. In all honesty, this article has not only convinced me to go back to learning those weapons, but also to go rent Street Fighter, which I have long believed to be a random button masher with no depth because I got frustrated with it. Once again, great article. I definitely saved in in my bookmarks
  • EDfromRED - June 25, 2010 3 p.m.

Magnificent article. It contained alot of stunningly insightful suggestions. Some I recognized and already implemented, but more I haven't thought of before, to augment my gameing skills. This is going to be forwared to my friends...and hopefully avoided by my foes! : )
  • MayorMcCheese - June 25, 2010 1:49 p.m.

Should there be a second page to this?
  • mjemirzian - June 25, 2010 6:52 a.m.

Too bad reviewers rarely apply any of that to single player games. Look at the embarrassingly bad Resonance of Fate review right on your own web site. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. Anyway I have written a similar article that deals with turn based tactical games. http://www.tbstactics.com/2010/04/srpgtbs-101.html http://www.tbstactics.com/2010/06/strategic-insights-review-methodology.html
  • redman530 - June 25, 2010 6:39 a.m.

You, my good sir, have helped me exponentially with my gaming. I feel like a light has switched on for me. Thank you.
  • unholychazer - June 25, 2010 4:35 a.m.

I used to fear using cheap weapons or classes, now I just realized that I literally have no reason to care what those other players call me, I've got a 2.0 k/d in modern warfare 2 and I've never even had a nuke, maybe cause I use weapons people can't call me cheap for... Thanks for waking me up! And seriously, you should write a book, if halo people can write successful books then you sure as hell can.
  • jeffhansen - June 25, 2010 4:08 a.m.

lightning52, I think he meant to turn it off until you get so good at aiming, you don't need it, but it gives you the choice between auto-aim, or just aiming by yourself.
  • animeman - June 25, 2010 1:04 a.m.

This has changed the way I will think about games forever. I already do the hard mode on all games so I have a start. But I really need to show this artilce to my friend when ever I play him in MW2 I always use the "noob tube" statagy and he calls me everything, cheap, noobish, and a little bitch but after reading this I now realize that it is just because he is jealus that I won and he lost.
  • D0CCON - June 24, 2010 11:16 p.m.

After reading this, I went to MW2 and changed my callsign to Noobtuber and my emblem to the martyrdom grenade symbol. If it makes people treat me like a noob, then I can use that against them. Very good article.
  • SmilingCat - June 24, 2010 9:53 p.m.

Also one thing that I have noticed is if you know how a game is made from a technical standpoint and know what can and can't be done it helps. From that knowledge you get even more insight even from a game you just started as to how to be a better player. It is actually a huge thing in video games I think to know the inner workings of what the developers were thinking and what is possible and what isn't.
  • Crabhand - June 24, 2010 9:27 p.m.

On the note of turning off auto aim, it is important to note in many console shooters you can't turn off auto aim. For example, I've searched the menus of Modern Warfare 2 for a way to turn off auto aim, but every time a clueless enemy runs across my field of view right as I throw my knife my aim subtly follows and throws my knife into a wall. Until game developers realized that console gamers don't need a handicap and the joystick really can be used effectively, I think we'll always be plagued with that annoying bitch, auto aim.
  • Spooge10 - June 24, 2010 9:25 p.m.

You won't suck horribly if you have under 150 APM. Good players will have high APM, but players with high APM won't always be good.
  • GamesRadarMatthewKeast - June 24, 2010 7:28 p.m.

For people getting the weird spacing, what browswers are you using? I've checked IE and Firefox and it looks fine here. Also, regarding tournaments: if a certain weapon or character is banned from a tournament, that isn't calling something cheap. All kinds of tournaments, not just in videogames, have custom rules that participants agree on. If you join a tournament, you have agreed to certain rules - but if you tried to call something cheap that wasn't banned from the tourney, then you'd look silly. Outside of a tournament, the agreed upon rules are those of the game itself. The main point about avoiding crying cheap is not whether something is unfairly designed, but whether you blame the player or the game. It's not the player's fault for using what the developers gave him. So in the case of Modern Warfare, it's a design flaw that grenades are so good and easy to use. They should probably be nerfed. The funny thing is, why haven't they been nerfed? The devs look at the game and say, "well it's not a huge problem so why bother?" Now, imagine if everyone abused the hell out of grenades, just like exploiters abused the javelin and care package glitches. The devs would actually be motivated to nerf grenades, and quickly. In a continually developed game, playing to win actually gets devs to balance their game more quickly, because the "abusers" show the devs what needs nerfing. Of course, once devs have told everyone they're fixing something, it's kind of being a douche to keep abusing it.
  • InsertChrisAntistaJokeHere - June 24, 2010 6:52 p.m.

Great Read! Thanks for pointing out Dave he's a genius!
  • Darkshine34 - June 24, 2010 5:38 p.m.

This article is awesome. I am inspired...thanks.