We Recommend

• Fox_Mulder - March 19, 2012 12:46 p.m.

Please no. The ending had nothing wrong with it, and even though all of player's decisions didn't directly affect the ending, most of them decide your military strength which therefore changes whether or not Earth survives the final battle. What Bioware has done with the Mass Effect series with the decisions carrying over from game to game and imported saves has never been done before. I think most people don't take that into consideration. Nothing is wrong with lack of closure, in fact that is what makes the ending so great because fans can speculate what happened and also it gives Bioware opportunity for DLC and even a brand new game. Please don't back down Bioware! I love Mass Effect and am even playing through 2 again to get a save where all of my crew survives the suicide mission. I think people who want the ending changed should think about all the movies they've seen in which they didn't like the ending. I didn't like I Am Legend's ending, but I also didn't create a petition to have it changed. Granted, the Mass Effect situation IS different, but for Bioware to change the ending just because some people weren't happy with it is ridiculous. They made the ending what it was, and I'm fine with that. However, if they were to add more options into the final decision, that would be fine, but when people say "change the ending" I'm worried that I'll receive an update for the game and the next time I beat it, I will see a completely different scene than what was there before, and I am NOT fine with that. Also, that lawsuit about false advertising is just plain bullshit. False advertising is all over this country, and to call out Mass Effect 3, of all things, is just insane. The guy who filed that thing needs to be bled of all his money for trying such a ridiculous stunt. That case is in the same boat as the McDonald's hot apple pie and a load of other BS court cases people file to exploit our court system and get some free cash from companies over some grade A bullshit.
  • BladedFalcon - March 19, 2012 1:36 p.m.

"What Bioware has done with the Mass Effect series with the decisions carrying over from game to game and imported saves has never been done before. I think most people don't take that into consideration. " Actually... infamous2 did exactly this. Granted, not nearly as in dept and varied as in the Mass Effect series... but you know what's the funny thing? infamous 2's ending actually VARIES depending on which spectrum your actions were, sure, it was only two endings, but at least they were starkly different from one another... Not just a matter of what color the explosion that destroyed the relays was in. "Nothing is wrong with lack of closure, in fact that is what makes the ending so great because fans can speculate what happened and also it gives Bioware opportunity for DLC and even a brand new game." Except Bioware has repeatedly chanted that Shepard's story was always meant to be a trilogy, and have a definite end. So falling back on a new game is kind of a poor excuse... And you realize that whatever they change or expand for the ending is most likely gonna come as DLC, right? "Please don't back down Bioware! I love Mass Effect and am even playing through 2 again to get a save where all of my crew survives the suicide mission. I think people who want the ending changed should think about all the movies they've seen in which they didn't like the ending. I didn't like I Am Legend's ending, but I also didn't create a petition to have it changed. " Funny you mentioned I am legend... A movie that actually had another different ending entirely. Heck, even a completely linear movie such as that one had two different endings that varied more than a series that has been defined to be all about CHOICE. "Granted, the Mass Effect situation IS different, but for Bioware to change the ending just because some people weren't happy with it is ridiculous. They made the ending what it was, and I'm fine with that. However, if they were to add more options into the final decision, that would be fine, but when people say "change the ending" I'm worried that I'll receive an update for the game and the next time I beat it, I will see a completely different scene than what was there before, and I am NOT fine with that. " I respect this point. I actually just want the ending to be expanded and varied upon, not necessarily changed.
  • Sinosaur - March 19, 2012 2:01 p.m.

I agree that the lawsuit is a bit ridiculous, but the problem with Mass Effect 3's ending is that it's ultimately disjointed from the entire rest of the series, let alone the game. It's a forced ultimately non-choice that bases it's logic on facts that you are able to prove to be false in the game itself. It doesn't so much make me interested in thinking about what these changes would do to the universe as make me doubt that people who can, apparently, ignore the point of their plot are capable of taking the massive changes they forced on the universe and making them actually work. As for a lack of closure, I actually do think there's something wrong when you ultimately provide no closure at the end of a trilogy. If there was one more Mass Effect that this was specifically setting up to continue the story, that's one thing, but this felt more like what would happen if somebody came up on a deadline before they could do a real, logical ending and just threw it together at the last second. If you enjoyed the ending, then I am happy for you, but many people don't feel that way. Mass Effect 3 is still an amazing game for me, and it is one of my favorite games ever right up until I reach the ending. I have no intention of throwing fits and demanding new endings, but don't ask me to accept the ending we got as worthy of the series that Bioware made me fall in love with.
  • reach110 - March 19, 2012 12:23 p.m.

You know what? This is a game all about choices. People seem to think that we're asking for one new ending. We just want more OPTIONS. The endings of ME3 weren't all that different from each other, making us think that no matter what we did, we got slapped on the wrist with the same ending no matter what. Changing the ending doesn't necessarily mean they're retconning Mass Effect, just that we would get more options on how to conclude our stories. With a story that changes so drastically for each person, we just want the ending to be just as personalized as the rest of the games.
  • tocsin201 - March 19, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Caution possible spoilers. But the "same" endings is entirely the point the ending is trying to make. That Cycles can not be broken, that the end will always come and will always be the same and that we can only change what happens before the inevitable end. As stated by characters in the game, the only way to break the cycle is to rewrite everything within the universe the cycle and it's components live in.
  • Sinosaur - March 19, 2012 2:09 p.m.

If that's the method that they wanted this franchise to tell, then they are not very good at putting it into effect. Mass Effect went through three games, it was not just Mass Effect 3. In those first three games, there is no sign of foreshadowing, no lingering threads to pull together to show the idea that cycles can't be broken. The first two games were entirely about how much of a difference a few, or even one, dedicated person could make, and that message is mostly spread through ME3. If you write a story, and then suddenly give it a 180 degree turn at the end without any set up, that's bad writing. It's a twist for twist's sake, and everyone rightly calls out movies when they pull that sort of BS.
  • tocsin201 - March 19, 2012 6:22 p.m.

Throughout all of the ME3 the fore shadowing was there. In the first two the concept was hope that everything could be saved and that hope lasted all the way up until the Reapers touched down on their first planet. You could see that shift was apparent right after the prologue. If you were expecting more of the same predictable action story fare then yes the twist can be sudden, but if looked at slowly one plot point at a time it can be clearly seen.
  • Sinosaur - March 19, 2012 7:38 p.m.

I'm not sure I agree with you on that, but it's still not answered to the fact that if that's what they intended, it's more or less spitting in the face of the previous games and all of the time and effort I put into those. Yeah, they gave me some great moments in the third game, some homages, but Mass Effect 3 is not a standalone game. If it had just been out on its own, then having the threads of that plot in it would have been enough, but instead it's the end of a trilogy and really should answer to the rest of the story. If you give me over a hundred hours of 'if we can work together, we can triumph' and then cap it off with 'nevermind, you don't have any hope,' that's fairly offensive.
  • reach110 - March 21, 2012 1:04 p.m.

I have to completely disagree. If the whole endgame was that the cycles couldn't be broken, why even make the damn games? The games never ONCE gave me the feeling that breaking the cycles was impossible or that the Reapers were undefeatable. What they illustrated to me over the course of 200 hours was that it would be incredibly hard. Therefore it would be important throughout the course of the games to make good choices and gather allies and assets to improve your chances of winning the final battle. From game one, character after character tells you something along the lines of: "If we are to have any chance against the Reapers..." Am I completely wrong in believing that these conversations were put in the game to get me to think I should work that much harder at the game in order to secure my chances of defeating the Reapers at the end of it all? The feeling I've always gotten from Mass Effect was that the people who made it were not focused on making a game. They were focused on telling a story through the medium of games. That's why I was okay with the gameplay changing so drastically from the first game. I fell in love with the characters and story as much as I have with any movie or book, but with the added emotional hook of having an effect on that story; controlling it. Mass Effect has always been less a video game and more a choose-your-own-adventure story. This was a universe I had stake in; its fate was one I controlled. My disappointment comes when people think this was a movie where only one possible outcome was expected. I spent a lot of time forging relationships and ending conflicts and gathering assets, when all along I could have just been on the Citadel looking for fish in the Presidium. If people genuinely liked their ending, it is because for them, the end justified their means. In ME2, if you played the barebones story and didn't really invest in the side missions, people died. Characters got lost and that was okay because it was based on the work you put into it. Hell, if you REALLY botched the story, your actual character could die. You could end the story there, if that's what you put into the game. I'm sorry if, because of all the hints and plot points put into the previous games, I was led to believe I could affect the overall outcome of this story.
  • Unoriginal - March 19, 2012 12:21 p.m.

This video says everything that needs to be said: http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/03/top-10-reasons-we-hate-mass-effect-3s-ending/ Oh, Spoilers BTW
  • BladedFalcon - March 19, 2012 12:15 p.m.

To be honest, were this any other franchise, i probably would criticize the developer for not sticking to their guns and not keeping their product as they intended to... THAT being said, and as anyone that might have paid attention to previous comments here regarding the ending. I am honestly unhappy with the way the ending was done here, because, regardless of the actual quality of the ending... Well, it just feels lazy. I completely understand GR's stated concern that this might set a worrying precedent, but the way I see it, if Bioware was truly happy and sure about the way they did things, they wouldn't have backed down from their stance so quickly. That, and the fact that the Mass Effect franchise isn't really comparable to much else on the market in regards of the scope of the plot, details, and choice. The way I see it, this ending definitely felt rushed, as discussed before, the actual ending itself is not TOO terrible, but the lack of explanation, expansion and options regarding what happened certainly feels like the ending was done at the last second by the team, since pretty much most people complaining can agree that the last 5 minutes of the game differ too much to the rest of the 120+ series. And lastly... I am just speaking for myself here. But considering I enjoyed the rest of the game too damn much, and i still am, (on my second playtrough.) if bioware decided to change absolutely nothing, I would accept that. Then again, I am not gonna be an hypocrite and deny that hearing they will try to fix things pleases me a bit...
  • RedHarlow - March 19, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Bioware sure did change their tune quick.
  • Dragonflame - March 19, 2012 11:54 a.m.

One word in regards to the ending: Indoctrination