• Fiirestorm21 - February 23, 2012 7:02 p.m.

It's not a part of the main game. It was not designed to be part of the main experience. It was designed as an add-on. It was developed after the main game was developed and finished. Seems pretty straightforward and logical to me. If BioWare wants to make something separate that doesn't compromise the core experience (which this almost certainly won't, as it pretty much never does) that they're selling, then it's their goddamned right. And yes, it is your right to not buy the game because of this, but frankly that'd be pretty stupid.
  • KnowYourPokemon - February 23, 2012 7:23 p.m.

Yeah it's stupid not to want a FULL game when you put down your $60 on day one of it's release. By this logic they should announce every side mission and crew member as not part of the main experience and charge you $10 for each additional part you want added. Your brand new car doesn't need paint by the way, but if you pay an extra 1/6th of the price you already paid for your car you can have it painted, as we all know paint doesn't affect the overall experience of a car's performance.
  • chriszewski - February 24, 2012 2:56 p.m.

Your car comes with paint and clearcoat, but if you want a Metallic or Pearlescent color (optional), you pay extra. Your car comes with a stock, but adequate powerplant. You want more displacement (optional), you pay extra. These seem more appropriate analogies. The game comes with everything you need to beat it and (likely) have a complete and very enjoyable experience. If you would like to add to that experience, you pay extra.
  • benjitenji - February 23, 2012 5:17 p.m.

So that means another squad member that you cant actually talk to whilst on the normandy or have interact with other characters to a certain degree like Zaeed or Kasumi? Seriously, if theyre going to
  • benjitenji - February 23, 2012 5:28 p.m.

do that with a character THAT potentially important then I'll... complain on the internet some more. I seriously hope they take a lesson from the Dragon Age team and make the character well integrated like Sebastian or Shale
  • geeksplosion - February 23, 2012 4:59 p.m.

Frankly, I don't see a problem with this. I pre-ordered the CE, and I see it as a perk. I'm spending the extra money on a CE, and I'm thankful that I'll have some additional content to enjoy on day one. For your $60, you're guaranteed the core gameplay. For games I purchase at regular retail, that is exactly what I expect to get. Any additional content above and beyond should be included for those that purchase a special edition - that's one of the expectations and reasone to purchase a special edition. Seeing others complain that they're not getting the same extra content that I am kinda pisses me off. I shelled out extra money, so yeah, I think I'm entitled to a bit more.
  • KnowYourPokemon - February 23, 2012 6:37 p.m.

You do get a bit more, or did you miss all the other stuff that comes with the special editions? It pisses you off? It pisses me off that people like you think because they can pay more that part of the game on launch should be kept solely for them. If anything you're being greedy, you get the extras from the CE but feel you're entitled to even more than that. If I pay out $60 for a new game I expect to get the full game as it is on day one, not have a section of the story kept aside for the people willing to spend more. Might as well charge people $10 for every side mission from now on because it's not the core storyline because obviously the only people entitled to the full game, as it is, on day one, are the people willing to spend the most cash.
  • geeksplosion - February 24, 2012 10:01 a.m.

Sorry, but I don't see it as being greedy. I see it as an added benefit for purchasing a CE. I see greed on the other side, where people are looking to get extra content (designed from the beginning to be such) for free. Don't think I'm defending this just because ordered the CE. Even if I hadn't purchased the CE, I'd still be cool with this. I did not get any specials for Arkham City as I purchased a used copy, and yeah, while it kinda sucks, I really didn't mind not having any of the skins or Catwoman DLC. I understood that those who pre ordered or purchased a collectors edition were entitled to these things. In the end, I decided that I wanted these items, so I purchased them over Live. And I didn't bitch about it.
  • BladedFalcon - February 23, 2012 3:53 p.m.

I wouldn't be surprised if more than half of the people whining and wanting to boycott the game bought it anyways... And meh, is it annoying? sure. Will I let it get in the way of me enjoying the game? not a chance.
  • Soxknight1127 - February 23, 2012 3:53 p.m.

i love bioware but this is bs. They had a good system with ME 2, this reeks of milking it for all its worth
  • babyhenchy1 - February 23, 2012 3:21 p.m.

Something you forgot to mention. The character will be part of the story no matter what. All the DLC does is make him a squad member. Still annoying? Yes, but at least they don't cut any of the main story out.
  • KnowYourPokemon - February 23, 2012 6:42 p.m.

Main story? No, they did confirm there will be an extra mission kept away from people who don't have it on day one though. That alone should not be tolerated... in my opinion and others at least.
  • babyhenchy1 - February 23, 2012 6:46 p.m.

Again, I'm not saying that it's okay now. But a lot of people seem to think that if they don't get the DLC, the character won't be in the game at all.
  • farsided - February 23, 2012 2:52 p.m.

Bioware can eat shit after the what they pulled here. I can safely say I will never touch a game by them ever again. Captcha: seriously? arabic???
  • GhostNappa2k10 - February 23, 2012 2:04 p.m.

I wouldn't mind, but the fact that 1) it's a fucking PROTHEAN, which is very important to the storyline, and 2) EDEN PRIME, which is a location important to the storyline, pisses me off massively. Go on Youtube, and watch a video by Totalbiscuit regarding this. Explains it perfectly.
  • Zeedar - February 23, 2012 2:18 p.m.

Yeah, TB pretty much covers my opinion too, but I'm not gonna boycott. This sure is unfair, but I blame EA, not Bioware. Plus, I want to play the game ASAP. It is still gonna be an amazing game.
  • GhostNappa2k10 - February 23, 2012 2:47 p.m.

I want to play the game ASAP aswell, but this is complete BS. I respect your choice, hell I friggin' love you cos you like Mass Effect, and I'll always love Bioware, but EA need to get this sorted.
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 3:36 p.m.

I agree with everything you said, but in order to effect EA, you must go through one of their developers. If we continue to act like developers are a shield, then we set EA on an untouchable pedestal. EA's downfall may be all of their developers downfall as well, but I promise, what comes of it if it happens will be new found business principles that are being startled at the moment. Just a random spiel, I agree fully with you, just wanted to voice my opinion on that side note.
  • thinkBrigger - February 23, 2012 1:42 p.m.

Despite the defenses I suspect this already exists on the standard disc copies and it's wrong to fence off to consumers in terms of business ethics. And I already pre-ordered the N7 collector's edition. This Prothean will be available to me from the moment I start my game because I paid twenty bucks extra. It's unfair to anyone who wants the full experience but can't afford another ten or twenty dollars for the upgrade. They're talking like this isn't a plot important factor, but it really is denying a huge piece of dialogue and Prothean lore likely involving key factors surrounding the Reaper motivation or methods overall. Admitting this or not, this has at least an undertone of major plot elements in it that I'd want available to anyone who picks up the game. I know both EA and BioWare are businesses, but this just comes off as slimey to me. I don't want to villainize them, even if I don't agree with pre-order incentives, but this feels like it's taken a step over that invisible line between right and wrong. If this came out a month or two down the line I could be okay with it (as this is Shepard's last game and likely the last Reaper focused one), but at launch it leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 3:30 p.m.

*Extra slow applaud*
  • ParagonT - February 23, 2012 1:20 p.m.

"Every government degenerates when trusted to the rulers of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." - Thomas Jefferson This quote is valid in many situations such as this, let me replace a few words: "Every corporation degenerates when trusted to the stupidity of the people alone. The people themselves, therefore, are its only safe depositories. And to render them safe, their minds must be improved to a certain degree." -Revised Thomas Jefferson quote. What appalls me more than anything is how many consumers actually protect these stunts like it's perfectly fine. Let me be clear, it's fine for them to try and pull this stunt, but it's not fine for me as a consumer to agree with them, let alone buy it. Gaming is only as viable as when people are willing to purchase it. Although I don't want to pay more for the same amount of content it would have been, some people do. Although this will just entice them even further.