• Fox_Mulder - March 15, 2012 10:05 p.m.

Shep's indoctrinated. (At least, I think). From the point where Harbinger blasts him with the beam, Shep's in a crazy dream world crafted by the Reapers. From the black "veins" around the screen, to Anderson making it to the arms control first even though Shepard made it to the Citadel first, The Illusive Man randomly showing up, the Catalyst being the child Shep saw in his nightmares (so he would sympathize with it), Shep being able to survive in the vacuum of space, his complete belief in the Catalyst (he doesn't question a damn thing he says). Also, the destroy option shown red, hinting that it's the renegade option, and vice versa with the control option. And, lastly, depending on your military strength, you see Shep inhale amongst mounds of rubble in London. All of these are huge parts to the ending, and I'd like to think Bioware had a reason for including them. Also, i thought the stargazer telling the story of "The Shepard" at the end was really clever, showing that whatever choice you made was a retelling of Shep's story, making it plausible to be Paragon, Renegade, and everything in between. Anyway whether or not my theory is correct, I loved the ending. I mean, how cliche would this ending be? Shepard sacrifices himself to destroy the Reapers, bringing everlasting peace (somewhat) to the galaxy for the rest of eternity. Is that the ending you guys really wanted? People had to know the ending wasn't gonna be either the reapers are destroyed, or the reapers win, and thus the cycle restarts. All of that being said I would have liked a little more closure, but that's what keeps fictional lore alive and keeps people talking about it: leaving questions unanswered.
  • mothbanquet - March 15, 2012 11:48 p.m.

Cliche has always worked for Mass Effect. How many of its concepts or tropes were truly original? How many scenes, places or characters could you clearly say 'yeah, they got that idea from such-and-such'? But it was OUR cliche, a story that we had helped shaped through our decisions and so it didn't matter to us. Just because the final battle of the first game was your typical 'big space battle', did that make it any less amazing? Hell no, I still couch it was one of the most epic sequences in gaming. How about the do-or-die suicide mission at the end of the second game? Realistically speaking, it was the same as any final mission of any CoD game - but we were constantly on edge, aware that any omission in our choices and actions would have dire consequences. I respect your opinion but to end the entire series within the scope of a 'dream sequence' was utter madness. If it was even the case then it's certainly the laziest and crudest explanation for the leaps in logic and omissions of sense I've ever come across. Mass Effect has always been about simplicity in story and character. To suddenly thrust all this 'complexity' into this equation was a very bad move and has alienated a huge number of fans that have relied on the games to deliver a satisfying and conclusive experience.
  • infestedandy - March 15, 2012 11:56 p.m.

This was also my theory. I really don't understand how other people can't see some of these points and just hate, hate, HATE on how BioWare decided to close the game. Granted, I think they could have made the cut-scenes vary a bit more, but overall the ending was pretty good despite being ambiguous. Everything can't be a Harry Potter ending, nor should it be. The last thing I wanted to see was Shepard fly into the future, marry whoever you romanced and have little Shepards running around. Explanations are all fine and good, but sometimes having that shot of mystery and ambiguity makes it that much more potent.
  • BladedFalcon - March 16, 2012 8:19 a.m.

Not sure anyone here's asking for a harry potter ending, most people aren't even asking for shepard to survive: All they want is a proper conclusion that reflects the choices you made and the impact you caused, the ending gives you nothing of that. Furthermore... The ending overall isn't that ambiguous in terms of what ultimately happened, the results are very clear. The ambiguity there is is more of "why the fuck did this happen? Where the hell does that kid come from?" rather than "Hm, so what did this mean?" Poorly explained doesn't equal ambiguous. You want an example of a properly ambiguous, but well explained ending? Inception. Up until the very last scene, you have little doubt of what happened, and that last scene leaves you wondering whether if everything went way or another, and the movie is set up in a way that it could perfectly go both ways. THAT is a good mysterious, ambiguous ending. In the ME3 ending, you're not wondering if shepard survived, or if the universe was really saved. It's very clear all that happened, the question most people are asking are simple "But what happened to those that were left stranded on earth?" "What happened to the choices I made? did saving both quarians and geth even matter at the end?" Those are not philosophical or deep questions, those are questions that shouldn't be asked if the ending was properly developed.
  • BladedFalcon - March 16, 2012 8:07 a.m.

"How cliche would this ending be? Shepard sacrifices himself to destroy the Reapers, bringing everlasting peace (somewhat) to the galaxy for the rest of eternity." ...You realize that this is EXACTLY what it happened, right? Regardless of whether Shepard's indoctrinated or not, or whatever ending you choose, the outcome is exactly what you said: Shepard sacrifices himself, reapers are destroyed or dealt with, and judging by the epilogue with the grandpa and kid, everlasting peace was achieved centuries after. So you pretty much called the ending you defended "cliche".
  • reach110 - March 16, 2012 4:05 p.m.

No kidding. Why do people assume that when we dislike one untraditional ending that we want the most cliched ending possible? I don't want to see Shepard's kids, I don't care if he marries his love interest. I was expecting Shepard to live, but disappear. He had fulfilled his purpose but he was no longer needed. Like in Serenity when the Operative talks of how he wants a perfect world but he has no place there. Then he disappears. Everyone thinks that epic endings these days have to kill off the hero. THAT'S become cliched. Of course, Shepard dying should have been an option. But this is kinda the basis of my frustration. I'm not disappointed because this ending was bad. I'm upset because this was THE ending. There was really only one. If you were renegade for three games, let's see a Shepard who's pissed off and beats the Reapers at their own game out of defiance. If you were paragon, Shepard can make the noble sacrifice and save the universe that way. Then other options. Keep the synthesis thing. Fine. Let's have leaves with microchips and cyber-tans. I can live with that. Have a walk away option. Leave to fight the losing battle, making a stand against impossible odds. I can understand the other two games having more definitive endings because they had to lead into the next game. But we were told from the beginning that the third game was the end of Shepard's story. In a game built on CHOICES, that ending should have been left to us as the players.
  • MercurialForce - March 15, 2012 8:49 p.m.

My biggest problem with the ending was (spoilers) the destruction of the mass relays. Kill Shepard if you want (I was basically expecting it), but don't destroy the greatest science fiction universe ever. What do I mean by destroy? Well, as seen in the Mass Effect 2 DLC "Arrival", the destruction of a relay means the destruction of its solar system. So the Charon relay would destroy Earth and any remaining survivors there. Not to mention that most civilized homeworlds would be destroyed, as the relays are usually located in those systems. Assuming some did survive, there is no way to communicate except in very few cases (Reapers destroyed comm buoys), no way to grow food on scorched worlds (terraforming is a long-term process), and no way to be a civilized universe again. The Mass Effect universe is about the people who inhabit it and their civilizations. What happens when you take that away?
  • Sinosaur - March 15, 2012 3:53 p.m.

Right up until the ending, I loved Mass Effect 3, but... it just gave me Battlestar Galactica vibes. Oh, yay, random pseudo-mystical crap. It's also the sort of ending that just very strongly feels like everything I ever worked for, after playing through all three games, didn't even matter. I spent over a hundred hours in this universe, making connections that the game kept bringing up and making me feel rewarded for right up until an ending where none of that ultimately mattered. Mass Effect 1 left me feeling incredible and absolutely looking forward to playing more in this universe. Mass Effect 2 had a weird boss fight, but pulled it together by showing the Reapers coming. Mass Effect 3... The ending halfway makes me not want to play in the universe anymore, if any further games there would be set after that moment. And it's mildly insulting to have such bad voice acting in that final post-credits sequence. Regardless, I loved Mass Effect 3, and will not ignore all of the AMAZING moments I got to play in it and say that it's not still worthy of praise. I'm just tired of the modern trend of throwing pseudo-mystical crap that completely changes the universe into every sci-fi epic setting. Can't I just have an ending where I get to see how my character's actions leading up to that moment actually felt important? Why can't we cheer like the Death Star just exploded anymore?
  • obviouslyadouche - March 15, 2012 1:07 p.m.

I could forget everything that sucked about the ending if there was just more closure. I spent hours in that universe and i want to know what happens after shepard dies but instead i get some old guy talking about the shepard and thats it.
  • ZhugeLiang - March 15, 2012 8:27 a.m.

An online petition demanding a different ending? Are you kidding me? Why do videogame fans have such a ridiculous sense of entitlement?
  • ParagonT - March 15, 2012 4:24 p.m.

Why do people feel entitled to be able to criticize other peoples sense of entitlement? There is a clear loop here. Besides it's for a good cause and there not demanding a change, they are really just reaching out to Bioware. I can't believe how some people are so misinformed...
  • Fox_Mulder - March 15, 2012 9:45 p.m.

Well there IS a petition on facebook where people are getting signatures........... If that's not demand I don't know what is.
  • mothbanquet - March 15, 2012 11:54 p.m.

I don't necessarily agree with it but if BioWare have a right to retain the right to do whatever they wish with their intellectual property then their consumers have a right to express their dissatisfaction with their product.
  • ParagonT - March 17, 2012 6:22 a.m.

Because the money they collect are going towards Child's Play and they are not demanding anything, you guys seriously need to read things before sounding ignorant. GO TO THE SITE.
  • ZhugeLiang - March 19, 2012 10:57 a.m.

This article says that the petition is "demanding" a different ending, which is why I think everyone is using that word.
  • ZhugeLiang - March 16, 2012 10:09 a.m.

If Bioware makes this extra content, would they be justified in asking that the consumer pay for it? That would be a rather telling response.
  • ParagonT - March 17, 2012 6:23 a.m.

It's really up to Bioware and EA if they wish to ask for a price of it. I think people would be more pissed, but no one is forcing you to buy it.
  • ZhugeLiang - March 19, 2012 10:57 a.m.

The idea is that if anyone answered "no, they wouldn't," it would nicely illustrate what I meant by a sense of entitlement.
  • Eliath - March 15, 2012 8 a.m.

The ending is excellent and had me in shock for days. I can understand the complaints, and I might be a bit annoyed if I made a million characters to see all the different outcomes. However, I couldn't ask for a better ending. The ending sealed the deal for me as far as the Mass Effect Trilogy goes. It was just a great series, but nothing special. Now I would consider it exceptional as the ending was a lot more mature than I expected. I'm glad BioWare chose to end the trilogy like this. recaptcha: ifickg unhusked... I guess ifickg didn't get turned into a husk?
  • BladedFalcon - March 15, 2012 10 a.m.

Glad you liked it... but how exactly is the ending mature? Or logical, for that matter? Who the hell was that kid or entity that appeared at the end? WHY did the reapers need that stupid, nonsensical reason to be as they were? (They were supposedly created to stop synthetics from killing life... and the reapers are exactly that.)Wouldn't it have been more mature to just let the reapers do and repeat that cycle because that's simply how they function as a species of their own? Furthermore, the game's last scene makes it seem like it's a happy ending after all, since your crew survived and it's implied everything else in the galaxy did as well... Except all the mass relays were destroyed. And this isn't just a small issue here: In Arrival, destroying a mass relay caused supernova that destroyed a star system, if the destruction of all the mass relays triggered this effect... (And there's no reason why it shouldn't, because again, IT'S NOT EXPLAINED.) Then it means all the star systems next to them were destroyed, including sol and all the other big home-worlds. And I'm just scratching the surface here. for me the problem is not jsut taht the ending is pretty much one single, same ending. The ending itself is poorly explained, and when you think about it, really, really stupid. Again though, this is my take on it, I Am genuinely curious to hear why you consider to be such a great, mature ending. (Unless of course, you are trolling or being sarcastic, in which case I just fell squarely and stupidly in your trap... but meh, I needed to rant anyway)