• ncurry2 - May 9, 2012 9:06 a.m.

I'd put money on this delay being caused in some way, shape, or form by multiplayer. If that's the case, I am truly disappointed. I think multiplayer games are great. But I think they are great when that is their main feature, not some hasty add-on. Bioshock games are meant to be played for their engrossing single player story and if the team is pulling time and resources off of that for some cheap way to add marketability, I will be sorely disappointed. Of course, I'll still play the game. But I likely wouldn't touch the multiplayer and it would always nag me that some finite amount of polish wasn't put into the story to make way for the multiplayer.
  • BladedFalcon - May 9, 2012 10:48 a.m.

While the recent trend permeating the industry regarding multiplayer certainly lends weight to your suspicion and worry. I honestly doubt it's being delayed because of multiplayer. Mainly because, in an expanded article about this that I read elsewhere, Levine states that they made a similar long delay when the first Bioshock was about to come out, and it was done to add more atmosphere and polish to the game and rapture, with him saying that stuff like the Big Daddy's design was drastically changed, and that they corrected stuff like making the swing of Ryan's Golf club feel right. So, with that precedent in mind, and considering that it's being developed by the same team and creative director. I'm willing to believe him.
  • ncurry2 - May 9, 2012 11:18 a.m.

Ya, I read the extended bit too. And while he does allude to previous delays for similar reasons, obviously if they were going to add multiplayer, they are going to wait until they have something to show and do a full media blowout over it rather than letting it slip in an announcement about a delay. Idk, I really hope I'm completely off the mark on this one. But it just feels too similar to the delays for Mass Effect 3, Uncharted 2, and Bioshock 2 for me not to be suspicious (spoiler alert, all 3 of those had multiplayer added in).
  • wicko - May 9, 2012 7 p.m.

Bio2's MP was by a different developer, and was not delayed because of MP.
  • ncurry2 - May 9, 2012 9:41 p.m.

I knew Bio2 was a different studio than Bio1 but I didn't realize its multiplayer was done by a separate studio too. Like I said, I'm really reading into things here and could be entirely wrong.
  • ObliqueZombie - May 11, 2012 12:43 a.m.

It's not by the same developer, so I doubt it.
  • BladedFalcon - May 9, 2012 8:54 a.m.

Hrm... Well this annoying, yes... But well, if it's to make the game better and more polished, I'm not really going to complain. As long as it doesn't become the next "The last Guardian" That is.
  • ncurry2 - May 9, 2012 9:09 a.m.

Lol, is that game still even in production? I haven't heard anything about it outside of people working on it leaving the studio after it's all said and done, if it ever gets said and/or done :D I agree, if they are adding more polish then I'm totally fine with it. I am not fine with the alternative (see post directly above.)
  • J-Fid - May 9, 2012 8:52 a.m.

Better to see a game delayed to improve upon it, than to see a game rushed with glitches for its deadline.