Topics

Game Club

• Nemesis2k9 - August 3, 2012 8:04 p.m.

This will be my third or fourth time playing this. Got it for the PC way back when it just came out! IMO Jade is a refreshing change in a world where almost every female lead character is all boobs covered in nylon. That said I don't mind boobs covered in nylon. About Jade being bland, I really don't think she is at all. Maybe my opinion of her will change as I go deeper into the game as its been so long since I last played. Looking forward to playing the rest of the game along with the rest of you guys.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 3, 2012 8:29 p.m.

Good to know, I'm hoping Jade becomes more fleshed out by the end of the game.
  • Person5 - August 3, 2012 8:58 p.m.

I've already said my piece for the game this week, this is just a gameclub suggestion, could you guys try a live cast with a live chat going? that way we can also be part of your discussions, instead of you just talking amongst yourselves. Just a thought since I know this whole thing is still in beta.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 3, 2012 9:19 p.m.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM
  • Rudorlf - August 3, 2012 9:12 p.m.

--What do you think of the game so far?-- So far the game was really good, despite the ordinary plot so far. The gameplay is good, though it takes time for me to get used to the combat system. Despite the fact that it's a last-gen game, I'm surprise the game still look top-notch, even by today's standards. --What's your favorite part?-- Taking pictures! Never knew that it's pretty addictive, plus Pey'J waving at me while I look through the camera is a pretty nice touch. And I didn't know that taking a picture of us ordinary humans could earn money. Pretty odd, eh? --What do you think of Jade? What about Pey'j?-- Jade, to me, seems like your usual caring protagonist in every adventure game. The way she worried and cares about other people is nothing special to me, although her dialogues help differentiate her from being another bland hero. Pey'J's role also seems ordinary, but I like his attitude, his sense of humor and his ability to get a job done, instead of being another clumsy follower. Although I'm not fond of an anthropomorphic pig following me throughout a journey (Like the one in the Journey to the West.), but Pey'J makes me wish that he could be my uncle. I mean it. --Do you worry that the last-gen gameplay might not hold up?-- Actually, any gameplay will always hold up regardless of age, it's just depends on how good the overall game is. (And depend on whether the franchise was milked till its dry or not, like what CoD has become.) -------------------- Also note to any PC gamers who play this game on any version: the game have a serious issue of graphic glitches. One way to eliminate the issue is off your anti-aliasing and turn off HW Vertex Processing on the Graphic Option, although this method causes the frame rate to drop heavily, even on high-end PCs. Best way to get the game running perfectly without any hussles. http://www.gogwiki.com/wiki/Beyond_Good_and_Evil
  • Aardvarkk - August 4, 2012 7:26 a.m.

Thank you for the fix, the tearing was almost unplayable in places.
  • Silentkit - August 3, 2012 10:19 p.m.

I like the game a lot so far...the world is definitely original, very odd, and so far, at a 10-12 hour game, feels like sort of a Zelda-lite. I'm excited to see what kind of moves or weapons Jade gains throughout the game, and I think there's definitely more exploration than what it lets on so far. My favorite part was the beginning, how it just plops you into this world and trusts the player to fill in the pieces, which is such a welcome change of pace from the ridiculous hand-holding and exposition in most games today. One of the things that I don't think may hold up is the environments and the feeling that they're kind of empty. This was most striking in the Pedestrian area, right after the Black Isle before you meet Peepers at the bar...if this were a current gen game, it would feel much more like a bustling city with tons of NPCs and things to do, and in comparison it feels kind of bland now.
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 5, 2012 1:25 p.m.

It's totally Zelda-lite, and I want more stuff like that.
  • rballa2 - August 4, 2012 1:28 a.m.

I love the idea of "Game Club," and I love "Beyond Good and Evil." This is awesome.
  • DEsMONd - August 4, 2012 6:32 a.m.

Really enjoying the game so far but I think I can safely say I'll be the only one playing the game on a Wii, because I'm different that way
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 5, 2012 1:24 p.m.

As in Gamecube? How's it look?
  • jordan-stacey - August 4, 2012 10:25 a.m.

This is my favorite game of all time, so I'm going to replay it again along with you guys. So first off thanks for giving me the perfect excuse to play it again. I'll be playing the Xbox 360 HD version, but this is the 3rd version I own, I also have it on GameCube and PC. What do you think of the game so far? I love the opening of the game, it gets right into the action and sets the mood for the entire thing pretty much right there in the opening cinematic/fight. I love the light house island, and wish I could live there with maybe a door on my house however lol. The first dungeon is fun, but when compared to the others it does pale a bit. I do love finding all the creatures hidden about the place though, and the revelation of "Mr. Decastellac" remains one of my favorite scenes in the game. I also love the Mamago garage, so odd but in a good way. What's your favorite part? My favorite part for the beginning of the game is definatley getting to drive the hovercraft for the first time, I think it was such a great feeling to get to explore the watery planet and I remember that being a big part of why it drew me in. What do you think of Jade? What about Pey'j? Jade at this point in the game is your basic strong female lead. Smart, Pretty, caring and tough. Her story does get better as the game goes on and I have more I can say but it'd spoil some of it for those who haven't played the whole game. Pey'j is probably my favorite character in the game, but the best part about him is this is the first game I had ever played where an A.I. partner wasn't a chore to lug around, and it actually felt like he was useful. Do you worry that the last-gen gameplay might not hold up? I've played the game many times throughout the years so my view may be a bit skewed but I feel it's held up very very well. My favorite imput system ever is in this game (where the letters are in a spiral), and I'm kinda shocked it hasn't ever been copied as far as I can tell. This is a beautiful game and I hope anybody who'll be playing it for the first time loves it even half as much as I do, cause it needs to be more well known. Thank you GamesRadar!
  • TomSJ3 - August 5, 2012 4:47 p.m.

I'm excited to see what other games you guys choose for Game Club. This is a great idea for a weekly feature. I've always felt like I missed out by not playing Beyond Good & Evil so thanks for giving me the perfect excuse to finally jump into it. -So far I'm really enjoying the game. One of the first things I noticed is how much I love the music. It does a great job of setting the tone for whatever is going on in the game. I thought that the combat was pretty shallow at first but it grew on me during the Black Isle dungeon. -My favorite part is just the exploration. Riding around on the hovercraft and walking around the city was fun. There isn't that much to do, so hopefully a lot more will open up later, but it still kept me entertained. I also liked the photography aspect, as you all mentioned. I like collectibles, as long as they are fun to look for or at least have a gameplay purpose, so the pictures and pearls are great. -Pey'j is obviously a great character, but that doesn't need much explanation. I really like Jade too though. I saw someone in the comments mention that Jade came across as bland, but I like her personality. She immediately struck me as being strong and capable, yet sympathetic. I also like when she and Pey'j joke around with each other. Some of the dialogue is corny but I think it fits the game's tone perfectly. -I'm playing the XBLA HD version, and I'm not sure how much better the visuals are than on the original releases, but the graphics and visual style look great in my opinion. The gameplay doesn't feel that outdated to me, but the one thing I really don't miss about last gen games is the save system. There were a few times I almost shut the game off without remembering to save. I guess I'm getting spoiled with autosave in every single current gen game. Anyway I'm excited to keep playing and hearing everybody's thoughts.
  • vbsnowsurf - August 5, 2012 7:24 p.m.

Very entertaining. I missed this game when Halo was my universe, looking forward to playing this all the way through! Thank you very much for the idea, I honestly might have never played this game in my life if not for this idea with GamesRadar. I have enjoyed the game so far, but the main question I wanted to answer was: "Do you worry that the last-gen gameplay might not hold up?" My answer is no, I'm not worried at all. I know that as long as a game has a great story line, cast of characters and engaging gameplay, the game will endure through all consoles. I can happily pick up Chrono Trigger at any time in my life and enjoy a play through. Being that I have seen this game on a few of the same lists as one of my favorites (along with FF 4,5,6) I'm sure the story will keep me engaged long enough for a few more play-throughs in my life. Thanks again for this idea and looking forward to another one some time in the near future!
  • gamesradarclint - August 6, 2012 10:02 a.m.

I think your right about some games holding up. If the art style is done right and the game is fun enough, you'll be able to enjoy it years later. I still replay Wind Waker every year and I manage to find new items and interesting quests even though I have played it 3 times over now. So far BG&E holds up pretty well, it feels a bit clunky at times but that doesn't get in the way of this being a great game.
  • Racercard - August 5, 2012 7:34 p.m.

I really do enjoy this whole deal. I would have probably never actually gotten around to playing this game without something like this. I would like to recommend something though. I, myself, would enjoy more of a conversational look, much like a 1UP Show review segment, rather than a group sitting in front of a curtain. Same topics in the same way, just more seamless and conversational. Just sitting around in an office/outside etc. talking with a feel of spontaneity would be perfect and fits with the tone of a book club talk. This is just my opinion, but I would absolutely love it!
  • ultimatepunchrod - August 6, 2012 11:11 a.m.

This is really cool. I enjoyed listening to your guys thoughts on the game. Also, you guys seem to talk/interact well with each other, so...podcast?
  • into the sound - August 6, 2012 1:01 p.m.

awesome guys. looking forward to the next one
  • phroido - August 7, 2012 7:50 a.m.

Great idea. I look forward to playing along.