Topics

Game Club

• Moondoggie1157 - August 3, 2012 4:28 p.m.

Great first episode, I really dug it. I'll never get sick of the photos, it's pretty terrible how anal I am about getting my shots haha. Also, Cooper, there is a cave you can enter to take a picture of that flying bone-dragon if you missed it the first time... Won't say where, that would ruin the fun, but you can hit the cave before you go into the factory. And just an aside, I see some potential in this group for another podcast, who knows, maybe like a talkradar segment or something? Crazy, I know... I'm just spreading seeds, spreading seeds...
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 3, 2012 8:29 p.m.

I WILL FIND AND DESTROY THIS CAVE.
  • Person5 - August 3, 2012 8:43 p.m.

This is a thing??? I'm with Coop, I missed it the first time around and now will find it before next week!
  • deepro - August 4, 2012 1:08 a.m.

I have been looking for it as well! I remember seeing it the first time i played it (around 7 years back). Just cannot remember where i saw it.
  • SlickSubs - August 3, 2012 3:33 p.m.

I had just started playing this game a few days before the Game Club announcement, so I'm glad this was the choice for the first edition. When I bought the game on XBLA, I had no expectations or even the slightest idea what it was about. All the positive feedback I'd heard over the years won me over, and I was eager to jump in and see how it held up. Initially, I was impressed with how pretty it looked. Xbox had some ugly games, and I wasn't expecting the level of polish the HD remake brought. I honestly thought the gameplay would not hold up, considering all the innovations since the game was initially released, but the more I play it, the more I find myself being pulled into the joy of playing this. I really like the "Pokemon Snap" aspect, the feel of progressive exploration, the race segments, and the variety of bizarre creatures and characters. I got lost on some of the puzzle details and was expecting some kind of hint (as most modern games will do), and then realized I'd have to just plow ahead and figure out a solution without anyone holding my hand. These elements really drudged up the nostalgia of games from past generations, and I often feel 10 years old all over again when playing. I like Jades role as a strong female protagonist, and she often shows her care for Pey'J to lend some humanity to the character. Pey'J is a likeable goofball, but very useful. I like the creativity of the context-sensitive gameplay interactions between the two, as it really strengthens the bond between the characters and the roles they each play in completing each chapter of the game. You really get the sense that they could only do this as a team. The combat is pretty basic so far, and I've had some frustration with the camera at times, but I'm very excited to see how everything will continue to develop. So far, I'm impressed. Thanks for the recommendations over the years, this one has been worth it.
  • MattHewitson404 - August 3, 2012 1:45 p.m.

Okay, so first I'd just like to thank GR for starting this excellent feature, I picked up BG&E when it was released on XBLA and never got round to finishing it. Firstly, I love the game, I think it's unique personality and charm are typical of Michel Ancel's work (I'm a huge fan of the original Raymans and the recent Rayman Origins) and I really feel nostalgic playing this, because both the visual style and the gameplay remind me of Ratchet & Clank, which I enjoyed playing when I was younger Not sure that I have a favourite part as such, but the variety with in the game, what with the main quest, plus the hovercraft races/ looters sequences really appeal to me (I'm a bit of a completionist, so having so much to do within the game is great) along with the photography and other minigames etc. Personally, I really enjoyed Black Isle as a level, I loved exploring it and fighting the variety of creatures tha are found there, but the boss fight at the end felt easy and a little too repetitive for my liking. On the two central protagonists, I agree with what others have said about Jade being "a bit of a blank slate", but after all, very few lead characters aren't these days Even so I feel that her personality really comes through in her interactions with Pey'j, who seems to be an interesting and likable character so far. In regards to it's game play, BG&E shows both versatility and simplicity, which I think is refreshing in comparison to many current gen games which tend to focus on one aspect rather than a variety, which makes them feel less unique as a result
  • into the sound - August 3, 2012 12:35 p.m.

Hey this is actually a good game! I’ve never played it before. I downloaded the HD release from PSN just for this and I can see why people love it. The adventure aspect brings back memories great memories. Just exploring Hyllis and taking photos made me happy. I was prepared to accept last-gen quality when I downloaded this one, but the controls are tight and the graphics are expressive. It’s genuinely fun. I don’t expect its age will prove to be a weakness, but I'll hold off final judgement on that--as well as most other things--until the end. So far I like Jade and Pey’j a lot, which is good considering they’ll be around for the duration of the game (I’m assuming). I think they work well as a duo, and their dialogue adds something interesting to what is already a fun experience. To be honest, though, they are the *only* two characters who’ve left an impression on me--it’s been about five days since I finished Black Isle and I can’t remember any other names. Although taking photos with Jade's camera is a strong contender, I’ve had a hard time pinning down what it is exactly that I like best. I feel like BG&E has got its own personality, and its showing it off. It’s a refreshing change of pace from the more heavy-handed sci-fi stuff that’s come out recently. It’s fun, light, and straightforward. Can't wait to start the next bit. I'm gonna pick it up again tonight.
  • Tenlo - August 3, 2012 6:29 a.m.

I think this may well be the third or fourth time I've played through Beyond Good and Evil now so control issues have not been a problem for me as I'm quite used to them. I do thank you guys for giving me an excuse to play this again though. From the opening scene with Jade doing the yoga over that landscape to the battles shortly afterwards and the epic introduction of Pey'j, which is still one of my favourite parts. Everything cam back to me and the thrill of photographing everything soon cam flooding back, though I forgot to get the water snake doh! As a side having finished this game (don't worry no spoilers) its interesting to see some of these scenes with that knowledge and see the connections which I wouldn't have noticed on first play. I do realise that this type of gameplay is not for everyone but it was one of my favourites styles from that era, hell I even played Croc, and I'm enjoying it all over again. The only downside is I'm itching to get onto the rest of the game as I know it gets a lot more fun soon!
  • Fowler90 - August 3, 2012 5:42 a.m.

Have to say thanks to GamesRadar for coming up with this game club, otherwise I would most likely have never bothered to play this game. Anyway I'm loving the game so far. The opening was brilliant, as mentioned earlier, the game just got straight into the battle with no handholding. That was enjoyable. I think Jade and Pey'j work well together and I'm growing to like them.
  • GR_SophiaTong - August 3, 2012 1:01 p.m.

That's why we started it... gives us motivation to play something in our backlog that we just forgot about. Glad other people feel the same way :)
  • Nimitz3d - August 3, 2012 2:39 a.m.

I played the xbox (original) version a lot and now that i'm playing the HD remake, i can see that there are more bugs (character getting stuck in the walls), bad button mapping (inventory on "up" d-pad, seriously ?). Still the game still hold up really well for me, graphics(water, pre-rendered lighting), art style, ambiance, animations (facial and all) are really great, and music is marvelous ! The universe is really nice (flying cars, "waterworld", futuristic but still a bit ancient) seems almost real by all the details they put into it, like the SAC when Jade gets an object for the first time, and you see her hand typing on the inventory. The characters have lot of personality (Jade, Pey'j, Rhinos, Secundo), you can almost feel the relationship between them. And the day/night cycle is probably one the most beautiful i ever seen. The game starts off on a really cinematic gameplay part, the combat is really great. I like how there's no tutorial contrary to lots of game at that time, usually developpers paused the game to tell you random stuff. All gameplays blend together really well, you can be in the lighthouse then jump in the hovercraft over the sea, dock at Mammago and buy stuffs, it feels natural. I like the photography part a lot: finding some animals, taking pictures of maps, having some info about the environment. The only complain i have, is that lots of animals are too easy to take, there are only few that you need to do something specific to take a photo. (And i like how animals become ennemies just after taking a picture of it, pretty fun). Combat as every gameplay is this game is instinctive, it reminds me a little of Batman Arkam Asilum. I like how you can interact with the environment and Pey'j using the ennemies to lower a bridge or to break cristals. And the boss of Black Isle is really original. Black Isle is probably one of my favorite "dungeon" of BG&E !
  • Person5 - August 3, 2012 1:37 a.m.

I bought this game during the Summer Steam sales and would have played it eventually as I never got the chance last gen. So first and foremost, thanks to GR for giving me the drive to play the game now. So right off the bat there were a lot of graphical issues, but thanks to a quick google search and help on the steam forums I got those cleared up. I quite like the picture taking of the creatures, and the rewards for milestones. Combat is pretty simplistic as are the puzzles, but I don't find this a bad thing, I'm sure things will get more complicated down the line. Overall, I'm liking the game and can't wait for more. Favorite part at the moment was the awesome sea serpent boss that I beat by only the skin of my teeth. It was the most intense battle in the game yet IMO. Jade seems kinda bland, just kinda going forward because she's supposed to, meanwhile Pey'j brings all the personality and humor of the pair, and he's a giant pig, what's not to like? As far as the gameplay, it seems alright to me, I'm not worried about it not holding up, but it could be a very different story on consoles, but as far as I can tell the gameplay on PC seems just fine. All in all, great pick as the first game to do for this feature, loving it so far!
  • deepro - August 3, 2012 1:26 a.m.

First: Thank you Gamesradar. Like the idea of the Game Club. We really need more of this. Now for BG&E: I have not played any other game that lets you play as a journalist/photographer (not on PC in any case). There are chances that you will loose yourself while taking pictures. I agree with one commentator; controls are a bit sloppy, as mentioned earlier. But you get used to it. The learning curve is not really a big one. But the hovercraft is a little tricky. My best moment is when you get to see the Lighthouse in its glory after the first battle. The place is beautiful. Almost hand painted. Wish I could live in a place like that(maybe this is what the world will look like in the near future, when polar caps will melt, etc.) Someone mentioned Jade being a blank slate. I think that is actually refreshing. A blank slate allows you to use your own interpretations; like a good novel or a poem. And this game actually unfolds like a novel in more ways than one. In many way Pey'J is a stock character. But he is likable. That's probably because he is essential to gameplay, where you have to rely on him to advance. Overall, this is one rare gem. One of the best last-gen games. The sales were bad. But those who love playing good games will appreciate it.
  • killagreg - August 2, 2012 9:31 p.m.

I'm also glad that this opportunity has come to finally replay a game that I have bought 3 times and still never played. So Far I have been really enjoying the experience. I think what makes this game unique is that seems to be a fully realized world. There were a lot of games at the time that accomplished this very well. Psychonaughts, Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter and Beyond good an evil. Interestingly enought Rachet and Clank is my least favorite of that group even though I would consider the series to be the most well receive. I have had no real problem with Jade as a Character, she comes off as kind of a blank slate so far. I'm sure that will change. Most of the personally comes from Pey'j. A character I thought I would hate but quickly warmed up to. I appreciate his humor and Loyalty. I get a glorified, funny, useful dog feeling from him. Sort of what the fable games want to do but can't. The Game mechanics are where I am struggling the most. The biggest issue I am having with the camera. The X and Y axis are mapped to the same control option. They don't each have their own slider. So your only options are inverted or normal. However. I like my up and down to be inverted and my left to right to be normal. But that's not an option. Because of this I am always struggling either looking up/down or side to side. I can only have one that I like. I have also been having issues with Hit detection and hit indicators. I have had a few encounters where I didn't even realize i was being hit until I had almost no life left. There is very little indication that you are being hit. No real knock back and now flash of any sort. I also feel like Jade's swing dont feel like they have any power. I dont know if this is a sound issue or if the enemy's also show very little hit confirm. Looking forward to next week and I am excited to hear other folks opinions
  • GR HollanderCooper - August 2, 2012 10:36 p.m.

I agree re: Jade as a blank slate. Right now she's sort of bland, but not in a bad way. I also thought I'd hate Pey'j, but so far he's awesome.
  • Jackstraw - August 2, 2012 4:42 p.m.

A better question is, why, after all of these years since it's release, do game 'journalists' still try to make this game a bigger deal than it should be. It's almost like they feel nobody will take them seriously as a gamer (which is ridiculous in itself) if they don't parrot how awesome this, and other mediocre niche titles were. It was an OK game at best. I would bet money that the remastered live release sold less than 100,000, most of those to people who regretted spending the money after they actually played it. Games that are obscure, or didn't sell failed for a reason. Customers spoke with their dollars. Let it go already..
  • Moondoggie1157 - August 2, 2012 5:07 p.m.

Go bitch somewhere else... You're a real downer, and your kind isn't wanted nor needed here.
  • Jackstraw - August 2, 2012 6:17 p.m.

What do you mean 'my kind'? Someone with an opinion you don't agree with? Nah, I'll just hang around, thanks..
  • Moondoggie1157 - August 2, 2012 6:59 p.m.

No, I mean someone who goes out of their way to find others who might be enjoying something, and then decides to throw a stick into their spokes. If you didn't dig the game, super. But this isn't the place to go on about it... It's common sense. It's like going to someones Star Wars marathon just to bitch about Ewoks and who actually shot first, come on man, you're better than that, no? Wow, holy passive aggressive, Batman. Anywho, I can't wait any longer, I need to start playing it again haha
  • Ultima - August 3, 2012 8:28 a.m.

Well said. I think he just wants some attention.
  • StrayGator - August 2, 2012 5:08 p.m.

If the kind of attitude like yours was the norm, none of us would have heard of Vincent van Gogh. (just one example off the top of my head, obviously there are many more)