We Recommend

• geoff-ledak - January 27, 2014 9:53 a.m.

Naoto Ōshima is the one who designed the Sonic character and attributed Sonic's attitude towards Bill Clinton, not Yuji Naka. It's even Ōshima talking about it in the video that was linked to on the Sonic 2 section of this article. Yuji Naka always seems to be credited with creating Sonic for some reason, even though he was just the lead programmer of the game engine. He had practically nothing to do with creating Sonic The Hedgehog as a character.
  • fist_of_puke - October 30, 2013 4:52 p.m.

This is kind of an embarrassingly undercooked article that really shows how little effort GamesRadar puts into their front page. That image of Sonic Chaos... isn't even from Sonic Chaos! It's not from any official Sonic game at all, certainly not a Game Gear game. And what is the ordering here? How the hell is Sonic Pocket Adventure #6? That's a pretty bizarre pick to just throw in with ZERO justification. And 25 games? Why not just list every Sonic game ever made? Really shameful stuff. Not the work of a professional site.
  • jedisamurai - October 30, 2013 3:42 p.m.

1.Sonic Adventure (the only Sonic game I've ever beaten) 2. Sonic 2 (for the music alone) 3. Sonic the Hedgehog (Stage 1 Act One is a definitive moment in gaming history) 4. Sonic CD (the 360 download gives BOTH the Japanese AND the U.S. music) 5.Sonic Generatoins (still working through this one, but it's a whole HECK of a lot better than Sonic 4...yuck!)
  • M1ghtyMan - October 30, 2013 2:51 p.m.

Sonic 2 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles will always remain in my heart as two of the best games i've ever played. They are what hooked me onto gaming when I was but a child and I will cherish those memories forever. Two brilliant games, with excellent music to boot!!
  • moath-bin-hafez - October 30, 2013 8:49 a.m.

Sonic R was on the Saturn BTW
  • san0ake - October 30, 2013 12:13 a.m.

I wonder how much input Justin had in this article :P BTW, in my case, the top 5 is as follows: 1 - Sonic 3&K 2 - Sonic Generations 3 - Sonic Unleashed 4 - Sonic Adventure 5 - Sonic 2
  • GR_HenryGilbert - October 30, 2013 2:32 p.m.

Rest assured that Justin was heavily consulted for this list
  • Subgenre - October 30, 2013 12:11 a.m.

This is the single most bizarre list of "best" games I have ever seen.
  • Shinn - October 29, 2013 8:34 p.m.

Definitely agree with Sonic the Hedgehog 2 being number one, but the first Sonic Rush game is infinitely better than colors.
  • CUFCfan616 - October 29, 2013 4:01 p.m.

no Sonic.exe?
  • nick-cannon - October 29, 2013 3:33 p.m.

1. Sonic Generations 2. Sonic 2 3. Sonic 1
  • Cyberninja - October 29, 2013 2:52 p.m.

I am not done the list yet but you do not put unleashed in front of colors
  • Cyberninja - October 29, 2013 2:55 p.m.

However the top 10 is fine with me so the other thing is whatever.
  • ThatGamerDude - October 29, 2013 2:34 p.m.

For me (Being such a huge Sonic fan), my Top 10 Sonic Games list would look something like this: 1. Sonic 2 2. Sonic Advance 2 3. Sonic CD 4. Sonic 3 & Knuckles 5. Sonic Generations 6. Sonic Adventure 2 7. Sonic Heroes 8. Sonic Pinball Party 9. Sonic the Hedgehog 10. Sonic Rush Besides Sonic 2, my other picks don't exactly go in this order and I know some people would disagree with some of my picks.
  • EAC73 - October 29, 2013 2:34 p.m.

I would like to point out Sonic R was not on Dreamcast, but Saturn. Other than that, I think the list is pretty solid, but I do believe Generations should be a little higher.
  • Cloudiology - October 30, 2013 1:15 a.m.

RIGHT!?!? i'm shocked that this glaringly obvious mistake wasn't instantly corrected by justin! it was also released on the pc but we can ignore that disaster..
  • antiAntag0nist - October 29, 2013 1:46 p.m.

This is a fine ranking. Sonic 2 is #1, I definitely agree with that. I take issue with one placement though: Sonic Adventure 1. Having recently played SA 1 for the first time in years, that game does not hold up particularly well. I think Sonic Colors should have had SA 1's spot, that's just my opinion.
  • cael-nocturne - August 29, 2012 2:28 p.m.

Sonic Generations at 7th place? C'mon guys. I'm glad it placed, but I was a little disappointed to find out that Sonic Adventure 2, my personal favorite, didn't make it on this list while Heroes or the Gamegear Sonic did. Though that's just me, seeing as I spent all my hours on that game coughchaogardencough. Regardless, it had a nice story, nice level design (and dat ranking system), and has the voices we all remember (David Humphrey as Shadow ;_;7). While I still think Generations /should've/ placed higher on the list, I think Sonic Adventure 2 (and its not just me thinking it) should've been on here, hands down. Top 10, top 5, whatever man, its gotta be here.
  • YoruAzeniaSIC - August 28, 2012 9:52 a.m.

Honestly my list would go 1.Sonic Generations 2. Sonic Adventure 2 3. Sonic Adventure 4. Sonic Unleashed 5. Sonic 2 6. Sonic Colors 7.Sonic and the Secret Rings 8. Sonic CD 9. Sonic Rush 10. Sonic Heroes
  • Rowdie - August 21, 2012 1:24 p.m.

Great list. Usually there's always one item in these articles that I feel is a plant. Not this time. So aside from the fact Sonic CD is clearly the best sonic ever, I say great list. Also, I actually liked sonic R and and rather surprised that didn't make the list as the item to irritate readers.