• Sy87 - April 17, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Some of those games bring back memories. I want to get a working system now. But I liked Metal Combat. HEY, you didn't include Star Fox come on I know the box art was bad but hey that was a good game if you ventured from the main track. Never did get to finish Lufia. Anyway time to go to ebay!
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:11 p.m.

Star Fox 64 is probably a better game, thus disqualifying Star Fox from this list
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Maybe... but I can't remember, did SF 64 have branching paths and stages? memory's foggy, but I have the impression that the original star fox was the one that did it, and SF 64 did away with it. If so, I'm probably sticking with SF then, since I have a special love and respect for games that dared to have branching stages that made the game feel different each time you played it. It's something you don't see a lot anymore these days...
  • ncurry2 - April 18, 2012 6:49 a.m.

No, SF64 had branching paths with different stages too. There was always some sort of hidden objective in the stages to do. Doing them led to the harder difficulty stages.
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 9:06 a.m.

Ahh, cool, then yeah, chances are SF 64 IS the definite better game XD I mean, i remember loving the original SF, but it sure looks dated now XD
  • talleyXIV - April 17, 2012 7:12 p.m.

Number 9 comes after number 8, just noticed. I think Super Mario World should be number 3, and Zelda: LTTP should be number 2.
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:10 p.m.

As much as I love Link to the Past, Chrono Trigger is probably a better game but just barely
  • JMarsella09 - April 17, 2012 6:46 p.m.

U.N. Squadron.
  • J-Fid - April 17, 2012 6:42 p.m.

(Insert generic "where's Super Mario RPG" here). That Top 7 link on the Super Punch Out slide reminded me how much more I enjoy the old format compared to all of these slides. Sorry GR, my mind seems made up.
  • LordZarlon - April 17, 2012 5:23 p.m.

Super Metroid is my favorite game of all time. I just started playing through it again on virtual console. It's at times like this that I am still glad I have my Wii.
  • fanfundy - April 17, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Secret of Evermore, Illusion of Gaia, and the ever addicting Zombies Ate My Neighbors.
  • forestfire55 - April 17, 2012 5:11 p.m.

SUPER MARIO ALL STAR! And um...MK III was good, wwf i liked, ninja gaden, tmnt, super ghosts and goblins was awsome, uh there was more, its hard to remember
  • forestfire55 - April 17, 2012 5:13 p.m.

Street fighter alfa II... more will come when my memory kicks in
  • forestfire55 - April 17, 2012 5:15 p.m.

Oh earthworm jim! dat was epic
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:08 p.m.

Super Mario All Stars was just a collection, can't be counted
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:09 p.m.

woops that should be for forestfire55, comment screwed up and fanfundy, I completely forgot about Secret of Evermore, that game rocked
  • thatgurl - April 17, 2012 5:05 p.m.

No way could Yoshi's Island be ahead of Super Mario World!! To me Super Mario World is number 1 followed by Donkey Kong Country then FF(6).
  • BladedFalcon - April 17, 2012 9:43 p.m.

Yoshi's Island has far superior graphics, far more personality, better bosses, Original and new gameplay ideas and concepts that worked beautifully. Don't get me wrong, SMW is a great game, but in what area is it supposed to be way ahead? aside from maybe the core gameplay differences that might make the came more appealing to different kind of people?
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:07 p.m.

SMW didn't have the annoying aspect of keeping baby mario intact, the graphics weren't the thing that was superior but the art style, it definitely was original though, I'll give it that
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 12:43 a.m.

I honestly think the whole baby complaint is overrated, his crying wasn't nearly as bad as popular media loves to claim, and you almost always could catch him quickly if you knew what you were doing. I actually liked the mechanic because it gave you a chance to recover if you made a small mistake or got careless, but still made you work to get that chance back. And sorry, it's not only the art-style, the amount of graphical power, pixels, and colors that went into YI was vastly higher than what SMW offered, even without the handrawn animations. And really, SMV is actually pretty austere when it comes to graphics, even by SNES standards. It's by no means an ugly game, but there isn't really much in the way of it's character or stages that made you go "wow..." I mean, I know it all boils down to difference of oppinion. But considering I hold SMB3 as better than SMW, for me the definite Mario related game in the SNES is Yoshi's Island, hands down.
  • ncurry2 - April 18, 2012 6:50 a.m.

I agree 100%. As someone who just finished both of them last year (YI for the first time, SMW for the second or third), YI is just so refreshing. But SMW is still a fun game for sure.
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 4:22 p.m.

While I think Mario RPG should have been on this list(like a lot of people) this is a fantastic list. I think Earthbound should have been higher up as it is probably my favorite game of all time (look at my picture) 6 is great and the games above it are in my all times favorite list as well, except Yoshi's Island, I'd take Super Mario World over that game in the number 4 spot.
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 4:27 p.m.

also to add, I loved Tetris Attack, but since I lost my cartridge and had never read anything about it again I could have sworn I had dreamt it up. Also this article makes me sad, since I lost a lot of those cartridges, and whenever I'm lucky enough to find a copy in a store, they are all almost always above $70
  • FanofSaiyan - April 17, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I was thoroughly disappointed that Killer Instinct was not mentioned in this article.