• Pogogacy - April 18, 2012 1:18 p.m.

List is pretty much spot on. I've never really thought SMRPG was anything that special; completely eclipsed by the other (far superior) Square RPGs on the SNES.
  • alexandre-bret - April 18, 2012 12:16 p.m.

Illusion of Gaia. Starfox, Turtles in Time were one of my all time favorites
  • Bawheidbob - April 18, 2012 10:51 a.m.

I was starting to panic a little but it was there in the end loved Super Metroid. Now that i think about it this was the game that started my obsession with buy games if they have nice big boxes. Still have not played Chrono Trigger though or Link to the Past /hangsheadinshame One day though - So many games here in fact i never played and no Street Fighter II Turbo /shock - I suppose we all had it on the Megadrive
  • sirdilznik - April 18, 2012 10:31 a.m.

How dare you put ANYTHING ahead of Final Fantasy VI (FF III originally in the US), the greatest jRPG ever made.
  • GR_HenryGilbert - April 18, 2012 1:09 p.m.

You sound like me before I replayed Chrono Trigger
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 10:45 a.m.

I played it not long after this was written. Chrono Trigger is good, but not nearly as good as FFVI.
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 3:06 p.m.

Subjective both are well written games, they're just different strokes in regards to tone. I see FFVI kinda like Shakespearean since its a very dramatic game that tells stories within stories and also very emotional. Chrono Trigger is like an adventure epic (some chunks are like Dragon Ball, others like the Terminator, others like a King Arthur movie, etc.). I suppose making all those different ideas and characters work its what makes it epic.
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 4:25 p.m.

Except they aren't nearly as good in quality. FFVI's story is not just dramatic, it's nuanced, it's bold, it effectively develops not just a single character, but an ensemble of them, and told a kind of story you no longer see anymore. Chrono Trigger's story, while not bad, is something you've seen before plenty of times, and it even resorts to some very lazy, tired clichés. (Let's kill a main character... but then revive it soon after using a miraculous technique/Item that had never even been mentioned up until that point!) And unless you sat trough the almost endgame and played the optional side-quests that ONLY were available at taht point, none of the characters in the game were ever properly fleshed out beyond a basic archetype. Saying Chrono Trigger's story is as good or better than FFVI's is like saying that any DBZ plot is as good or better than say, Princess Mononoke's
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 4:30 p.m.

Storywise I agree with you like I said FF VI is very effective I will argue more in that sense with a game like Mother 3, which also shares some of its themes, but its more personal. Gameplay wise their both equally good. Might argue that Chrono Trigger battles were more organic and more choreographed than in FF VI.
  • BladedFalcon - March 5, 2014 5:07 p.m.

Actually, gameplay-wise and even graphically-wise, I'd say Chrono Trigger is better, but this is an RPG we're talking about, and not even an SRPG or a ARPG in which gameplay IS a far more important aspect. In JRPGs like these, at least for me, the most important factor that judges their quality lies in their setting, story and characters, gameplay and graphics are just the vehicle and the dressing that helps move the story along. So, having said that, it's kinda grating to me that CT is waved around like the best RPG ever when it's not even CLOSE to having the best story, character or setting in an RPG. Just like it annoyed the shit out of me when GR made that list of best FF games, and put FFTA2 over FFT, which again, yes technically it plays better and looks better, but the story in FFTA2 is utter shit compared to the story in FFT, which IMO is probably even better than FFVI's story. Again, these are RPGs, people connect with them usually because of the characters and story, so these aspects should reign above the overall quality in this case.
  • Vonter - March 5, 2014 5:15 p.m.

Ok... in the end you go for what interests you the most, but yeah usually the story breaks or makes the RPG. That's why I said Mother 3 may be as good as FF VI. Both have very powerful tales. However I respect some can care more about the gameplay if said one can kept you engaged, that has merit too.
  • Relayer71 - March 6, 2014 6:52 p.m.

Totally agree, FF VI is the better game. In fact, Chrono Trigger, as great as it is, is still a tiny bit overrated. FF VI, IV and Phantasy Star IV were better JRPGs of that era. I think I even like FF V better as well. It's still a great game though, and a definite must play, but certainly not THE GREATEST JRPG of all time (I don't even think FF VI pulls that off).
  • Hig1134 - April 18, 2012 8:47 a.m.

SNES was so awesome! So many fond memories...I wanna play right now!!
  • mothbanquet - April 18, 2012 8:14 a.m.

I only played Chrono Trigger three years ago via emulator and never would I have imagined that a 16-bit game would grip me in this day and age like that one did. I played it solidly from start to finish over the space of two weeks and was gobsmacked to learn from a friend what I'd missed! It was, quite simply, a piece of RPG perfection and still stands as a game that many devs today could learn from.
  • Pruman - April 18, 2012 7:16 a.m.

Come on man, Star Fox should be on there. Sure, it was a tech demo for the Super FX chip just like Pilotwings was a tech demo for Mode 7...but what a glorious and fun tech demo! I can still remember playing it for the first time on a display kiosk at Toys 'R Us, and having my 10-year old mind totally blown away. Sure, the graphics are pretty austere, and if you're playing on an actual SNES, the game runs like absolute ass. It's still a blast to play, though.
  • charles-matherly - April 17, 2012 8:39 p.m.

Lufia 2 Rise of the Sinistrals was my favorite game on the snes. Iloved mario and killer instinct but Lufia had an awsome story, great puzzles, and a great battle system. I still love to play this game today.
  • Sy87 - April 17, 2012 7:16 p.m.

Some of those games bring back memories. I want to get a working system now. But I liked Metal Combat. HEY, you didn't include Star Fox come on I know the box art was bad but hey that was a good game if you ventured from the main track. Never did get to finish Lufia. Anyway time to go to ebay!
  • Person5 - April 17, 2012 10:11 p.m.

Star Fox 64 is probably a better game, thus disqualifying Star Fox from this list
  • BladedFalcon - April 18, 2012 12:46 a.m.

Maybe... but I can't remember, did SF 64 have branching paths and stages? memory's foggy, but I have the impression that the original star fox was the one that did it, and SF 64 did away with it. If so, I'm probably sticking with SF then, since I have a special love and respect for games that dared to have branching stages that made the game feel different each time you played it. It's something you don't see a lot anymore these days...
  • ncurry2 - April 18, 2012 6:49 a.m.

No, SF64 had branching paths with different stages too. There was always some sort of hidden objective in the stages to do. Doing them led to the harder difficulty stages.