• Clovin64 - April 1, 2011 11:26 a.m.

Nice list! most of my absolute fave games ever made it in, which made me Happy Face :) I personally find it very difficult to put my fave Final Fantasy games in order, but I agree that FF6 and FF10 are both better than FF7.
  • bellium - April 1, 2011 11:25 a.m.

Fantastic article. Couldn't read everything, but kinda agreed with most of it (specially top 5). One detail, Sonic CD released for PC too and not only Sega CD. Cheers GR team!
  • ShortFuse - April 1, 2011 11:11 a.m.

Great so see Wind Waker getting the love it finally deserves. I was about 13 when I got it and was a little sceptical at first but then upon playing it I fell in love with it. Still not quite my fav Zelda (which is probably Majora's Mask for some reason) but I definitely think WW is the most playable, enjoyable and as you pointed out timeless entry in the series!
  • Cat_Mundy - April 1, 2011 11:03 a.m.

Grim Fandango is 50 places too low.
  • luckyseven - April 1, 2011 10:58 a.m.

170th!!! Great stuff guys..glad grim fandango made the list
  • veryweirdguy - April 1, 2011 10:37 a.m.

Listen, guys, where is 50 Cent: Blood on the Sands? Excellent list apart from that. I don't agree with everything, but who would? A lot of my personal favs made the top 20 (and most of them were in the top 10!) so I'm happy. Currently I am running through all the Zeldas in preparation for Skyward Sword, so I'm really glad to see two of the ones I haven't played are on here! Definitely gonna try and pick up a couple of the classics I haven't ever played (Chrono Trigger here I come...!) Thanks GR, you da bestest.
  • fireworks - April 1, 2011 10:33 a.m.

great list guys, 2 words for you though.....monkey island!
  • Unoriginal - April 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

I've played 84 of these games and finished 72 og them. I now have a goal and that is to finish every last one of these
  • jameshalsey - April 1, 2011 10:32 a.m.

Making a list like this is always going to open you up to a torrent of shit. But I found this a very agreeable and enjoyable countdown with a truly deserved number one - which is nice.
  • KidKatana - April 1, 2011 10:31 a.m.

Great list guys, but seriously, please stop confusing homonyms. Rain = water that falls from the sky. Reign = to rule/the period during which a ruler is in power. Therefore: Raining down death = killing from an elevated position. Reigning down death = ruling over a depressed Grim Reaper?
  • Gurkogg - April 1, 2011 10:23 a.m.

I know that noone will read this far into the comments, but I can not for the life of me understand the Ocarina of Time fixation that alot of these readers seem to have. The game was OK, albeit stupid easy. I was so excited about it that I bought the collector's edition on the day of release... only played it once. Waste of the $70 I spent on it. FFVII was OK too, but it was also way too easy. I tried to play FFVII recently and it bored me to tears even though I am an RPG junkie (been clean of WoW for 6 months, lol).
  • kit07 - April 1, 2011 10:23 a.m.

great list guys. my prediction for #1? was super mario world. didn't get it right but you had some of my favs in there so i can't complain. probably one of the best lists i have seen. can't wait for the nest 100 list in another five years to see how much things have changed anyhoo cya
  • Ilyere - April 1, 2011 10:05 a.m.

Wow, putting Portal as number one is getting a lot of backlash. But I can agree with the reasons that you given for other games. (As a total RPG fangirl, I would move some games around... But that's just me ^^)
  • SoMi - April 1, 2011 9:10 a.m.

I really liked the list, especially Tetris (fond memories of playing it as a kid) and Portal (Glados is one of my favorite game characters ever). However, I can't help but wonder how Myst would have factored in, if anyone would have taken time to remember it. It's kind of one of the most brilliantly moody games ever, and I still try to play it from time-to-time (the graphics and everything else are fine, but the original version causes occasional crashing of the old computer we have). Now I never played the later versions of Myst to see how they compared, but I would like to know how the best of them would rank if they were considered.
  • aJAWSOMEocelot - April 1, 2011 9:10 a.m.

BWAAAAAGH! ZOMG! WTF?! WHY IS METAL GEAR NOT NUMBER ONE?! RAAAAAAAGE!!! But actually, this was a beautiful list and I agree with most entries, you guys are awesome!
  • Woodrow83 - April 1, 2011 9:04 a.m.

Well that was a bunch of crap!
  • DIStroyinmasses - April 1, 2011 8:55 a.m.

where is Final Fantasy 7 & 8, 12 was wasy better then 10 aswell Portal WTF overrated minigame
  • SpikroddNG - April 1, 2011 8:51 a.m.

Based on the disclaimer given at the beginning and the preceding list, I can agree with like 95% of this list (I would have put Diablo II higher,but that's just me...). I was delighted that WWF: No mercy made the list, appalled that FF VII got axed and shocked that Portal was #1, then I nodded in agreement. To make people happy in some areas, you should get like a 25 game honorable mention thing as well. You guys explained the reasoning with a lot of sequels and other games and such, but what about other insanely popular games? Some people might want an answer on why Twisted Metal: Black was cut or something. Related note, how was Twisted Metal: Black cut?
  • FVDub - April 1, 2011 8:49 a.m.

Thank you for placing Mass Effect 2, Wind Waker, and Super Metroid in the top 10. Those are 3 of my favorite games ever. I half expected Okami to crack the top 10.
  • austincharlesbond - April 1, 2011 8:46 a.m.

Metroid Prime?