• sephex - March 11, 2014 6:54 a.m.

My version of the Top 15: 15. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (2003) 14. Dark Souls (2011) 13. Super Mario World (1991) 12. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (2010) 11. BioShock (2007) 10. Portal (2007) 9. Chrono Trigger (1995) 8. Batman: Arkham City (2011) 7. Shadow of the Colossus (2005) 6. Final Fantasy 6 (1994) 5. Half-Life 2 (2004) 4. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (2004) 3. Super Metroid (1994) 2. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991) 1. Tetris
  • bencg - March 11, 2014 5:52 a.m.

I would put the Portal series at number 1, but make it Portal 2, not the original.
  • jedisamurai - March 10, 2014 5:01 p.m.

Kind of sad how eight out of the top ten I either played and hated, or have zero desire to every play. But Chrono Trigger rocks. And portal is good too. Wildly over-rated. But good. My top ten: 1. Alpha Centauri 2. Chrono Trigger 3.Valkyria Chronicles 4. Mass Effect Series 5.X-Com Enemy Within 6. Gran Turismo Series 7. Outrun 2 8.Total War Series 9.Sky Gunner 10. Panzer Dragoon Zwei
  • eric-roche-caban - March 10, 2014 12:47 p.m.

Final Fantasy 7?
  • Galaxy010 - March 9, 2014 8:31 p.m.

BRAWL!? OVER MELEE!? Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa- *head explodes*
  • malik-sarsak - March 11, 2014 8:01 p.m.

brawl is way better
  • pl4y4h - March 11, 2014 10:03 p.m.

aaaaaaaaaaaaand FIGHT!
  • alienjiz420 - March 16, 2014 11:50 a.m.

My thoughts exactly. Melee is infinitely superior to Brawl, and Melee would be number 1 on my top list.
  • ivica-kokan-koki - March 9, 2014 1:36 p.m.

half life assasins creed 1234 cod 1234 bop ghost man of war asult sq.
  • talleyXIV - March 9, 2014 12:02 p.m.

You guys do a pretty good job but Portal at the top is such a hipster move. At least make it Portal 2.
  • TKBeastnYk - March 9, 2014 7:59 a.m.

This list is good I just don't agree with Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Journey. Also, I think that Portal shouldn't be first.
  • mubashir-ahmed - March 9, 2014 5:57 a.m.

GTA5 Sleeping dogs Forza Horizon COD:Ghosts Battlefield4 only on xbox360:)
  • talleyXIV - March 9, 2014 11:58 a.m.

Is that supposed to be your top 5 list?
  • Skeletornado - March 8, 2014 8:48 p.m.

A good list, mostly. Just wanted to say a few things. First, you've broken your own rule of only listing one game in each 2D or 3D series by having both Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island on here. I mean, it's titled Super Mario World 2, for one thing, and I'm pretty sure that Miyamoto himself considers it cannon. I'm not saying that either Super Mario World or Yoshi's Island don't deserve to be on a list of the best 100 games of all time--because they both do. I'm just being a jerk and calling you out to make the impossible choice between the two. Also, I think there is a bit of overlap between some titles. For example, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us and Uncharted 2--all fantastic games, yes--but Uncharted and Tomb Raider are so similar (and TLoU tops them both) that I think--and I know this would be a very hard call--but to make the leanest list possible, you'd have to choose which is better--Uncharted 2 or Tomb Raider. (Personally, I'd give it to Tomb Raider, even though I am a huge Uncharted fan, and give TLoU/Nauhty Dog the respect the deserve with a spot in the top 10.) I'd also choose the original Mass Effect over Mass Effect 2, as it had a more cohesive story and deeper customization, from what I recall. Final Fantasy X beating VII is criminal; the music, characters, setting, and story of 7 were--and remain--the pinnacle of the 3D FF series. Cloud is the single most recognizable character in the entire series for a reason.
  • sephex - March 9, 2014 5:19 a.m.

Wow I agree with every words you said. Well, except that I think Uncharted 2 is better but Tomb Raider is a fine game too.
  • Relayer71 - March 9, 2014 9:58 a.m.

I wanted to like Mass Effect. Cool story, lovely graphics and nice soundtrack, but gameplay wise it was a bit dull. Not just that but it seemed clunky. I only played ME2 because it was a gift but I was so glad I did because it's become one of my favorite games. Everything wrong with ME was fixed - it was more polished, easier to control/maneuver, the pacing was much better, the combat became a highlight as opposed to in the first game where it felt a little disjointed from the quality of the rest of the game. You're right, ME had more customization options and felt a little deeper, but it could get boring and frustrating to play. ME2 was slightly dumbed down but it was just a hell of a lot more fun to play.
  • cgriff63 - March 9, 2014 11:19 a.m.

The gameplay was dull, and the interface was awful, and the inventory was cluttered. Mass Effect 2 sort of over-corrected by making things too simple, and taking away a lot of the customization, but it was still vastly superior. Honestly, I loved the characters in Mass Effect 2 A LOT more, but Mass Effect 3 really got the combat and the customization down just right. I know it's taboo to say ANYTHING good about Mass Effect 3 for some reason, but gameplay wise, it was perfect.
  • seantommy - April 16, 2014 5:51 p.m.

While I agree with you that Uncharted 2 and Tomb Raider are very similar, I don't think Last of Us belongs with them. Similar in tone, very different in gameplay and story. I'm also of the opinion that Tomb Raider wasn't as good as so many people think, but I'm in the (rather large) minority on that one. As for Mass Effect, I agree that the first game's story was better put together than the second's (by far, actually), it's worth noting that the second game streamlined the gameplay very well. It went from mediocre action with an amazing story to fun, fast-paced action with a good (but not great) story. It's a matter of opinion from there. Honestly, I consider Mass Effect 3 the best in the series, but I'm in the painfully small minority there, so... (if you don't know abou indoctrination theory and have completed the trilogy, I recommend you look up CleverNoobs's 2-part explanation of it on Youtube. It's hours of video, but well worth it if you love the series).
  • brickman409 - March 8, 2014 7:20 p.m.

Why do these lists exist? they just create hatred and war in the comments section
  • souflee - March 8, 2014 6:58 p.m.

I really can't respect or understand putting Super Mario Galaxy 2 out of the top 5, let alone out of the top 10, and not including Kid Icarus Uprising is just pathetic,