We Recommend

• Ares B - April 20, 2012 11:24 p.m.

What about Falcon, M1 Tank Platoon, IL-2 Sturmovik, Gunship, Operation: Flashpoint, World War 2 Online? Not even Microsoft Flight Simulator made it to the list!
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 11:27 p.m.

It's meant to be games that hold up, and are still playable now. Some of those are, but WW2 online? Is that even still available?
  • Ares B - April 21, 2012 12:09 a.m.

Yeah, it is. http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/
  • Ares B - April 21, 2012 12:21 a.m.

And I believe that a game that tries to recreate ground, air and naval war at such a megalomaniacal scale, and has been successful in it for whopping TEN YEARS, deserves at least a honorary mention.
  • TheZigMan - April 20, 2012 11:19 p.m.

Where's EVE Online?
  • Ares B - April 20, 2012 11:16 p.m.

Best games EVER made? These are all NEW games here! Where's the Ultima series? Zork? Elite? Impossible Mission? Mercenary? All the 8-bit goodness?
  • nokeisoka - April 20, 2012 10:40 p.m.

putting civ V ahead of the other civs when they still haven't fixed the very frequent multiplayers problems is silly.
  • purple_omlet - April 20, 2012 10:31 p.m.

You said that Ocarina of Time doesn't fit in with today's standards and then put Tetris in the second place slot? Perfect sense. I'm convinced you guys don't know what good games are anymore.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 11:16 p.m.

No, we said that we weren't going to include doubles of similar games in the same series, and Wind Waker > OOT. Tetris is still the perfect puzzle game.
  • BladedFalcon - April 20, 2012 11:33 p.m.

Tetris's simple but additive game-play, and equally simple graphics work just as well now as they did 20+ years ago. You can show it to a kid today, and once he gives it a few tries, I bet you it can get hooked on it. Ocarina's barrier of entry is much higher, and graphics and gameplay IS dated, specially when compared to newer Zeldas. Also, I'm sure you're totally an authority to judge what games are the best for EVERYOBDY and that EVERYBODY will find to be good, regardless of actual taste or opinion. *Rolls eyes*
  • datProtein - April 20, 2012 10:25 p.m.

Uhm... where is The Neverhood Chronicles?
  • daneoid - April 20, 2012 10:22 p.m.

1:Eve Online 2:Medieval 2:Total War 3:Portal 2 4:Half Life 2 5:Bioshock 6:Skyrim 7:The legend of Zelda: A link to the past 8:GTA IV 9.Sim City 4 10:Mega Man 2 That is all.
  • carson-essenceofcool-koschik - April 20, 2012 9:48 p.m.

So Burnout: Paradise makes the list but OCARINA OF TIME DOESN'T?!?!?!
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 10:18 p.m.

"No repeats. 100 is a small number when you’re judging an entire medium, so we couldn’t afford to include more than one example from each series, unless that series evolved substantially. Yes, you’ll find multiple Zeldas, Marios and GTAs, but only because they’ve offered brand new experiences again and again."
  • Bones96 - April 20, 2012 10:39 p.m.

So explain how Portal 2 is so much different than the first one.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 11:17 p.m.

Completely different experiences within the same idea. One was a 3-hour long vignette, the other was an opera.
  • Asmodean - April 21, 2012 11:57 a.m.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Trying to explains this simple fact is like smashing your head on a brick wall to these people. It's almost like they didn't bother to read the intent of the article or what was written in each entry.
  • carson-essenceofcool-koschik - April 20, 2012 10:40 p.m.

Yes, but it's OCARINA OF TIME! It's the game that is universally known as the greatest game of all time! You can't just leave it out!
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 11:16 p.m.

Wind Waker > OOT.
  • BladedFalcon - April 20, 2012 11:35 p.m.

No it's not. That's just a bunch of nostalgia filled fanboys talking. As good as it was back when it came out, game's dated now, whether you like it or not.
  • GR HollanderCooper - April 20, 2012 11:38 p.m.

It's one of my favorite games ever, but I know there's a difference. My favorite factors in a lot of things unrelated to the quality of the game. Namely when I played it, and how it effected me. In other words... yeah, nostalgia. The same reason people fawn over FFVII (though I'd say OoT holds up much better than VII because it's a better game).
  • BladedFalcon - April 20, 2012 11:59 p.m.

Yeah. I mean, I enjoyed OoT a LOT when I was a kid. And I CAN appreciate why people like it so much. But yeah, seeing it now? it really looks awfully dated, same as most games of that generation of polygons. And I mean. I don't know, it's just that I thought you guys made a very CLEAR difference between games you LOVE, (evidenced in yesterday's article.) And games you consider to be genuinely the best even to this day. And additionally, it just annoys me when I see such irrational fanboyism and unwillingness to accept other's opinions. I don't agree with this list a 100% percent either, but I'm not going to say that you guys don't have a good taste in games or suck at them just because say, Odin's sphere, to the moon, or Dawn of Sorrow aren't there.
  • carson-essenceofcool-koschik - April 21, 2012 10:54 a.m.

Yes, but just like your Portal comment, Ocarina of Time and Wind Waker are completely different experiences. Much different then Portal 1 & 2 (which are awesome games, by the way).