• InsertWittyNameHere - July 15, 2010 3:16 a.m.

I took the name literally, and only used detective mode when I needed it. The game was beautifully grungy. Why would you miss that to play a pink power ranger looking game because you could see through wall. Dammit, gamers. Play the game, don't try to beat the game.
  • hagenbombel - July 15, 2010 1:55 a.m.

@DOCCON i think they are going this way... would make sense...
  • Vagrant - July 15, 2010 1:35 a.m.

I only used it when I felt like I needed it. I think it was totally up to the player - so it always pissed me off when reviewers or people complained about it.
  • SydistiK - July 15, 2010 1:32 a.m.

I agree they should have it so that silhouettes of items and people show through without changing the color scheme of the whole screen.
  • mgkyo666 - July 15, 2010 1:21 a.m.

Hmmm, I never really used Detective mode that much. The only time I ever used it excessively was in my 100% playthrough, but besides that, only used only to get a quick checkup on enemy locations.
  • ensabahnur - July 15, 2010 12:52 a.m.

Same deal with ODST and that visor, i tried not to use it but there was no helping it sometimes, and i am a gamer who enjoys the artistic landscape that gets done in games, IE Assassins Creed 1 & 2, i climbed all the view points even random towers to get a good view of places, i like that stuff.
  • HotCyder - July 15, 2010 12:40 a.m.

I think games need a Detective Columbo mode - where it ruins the end of the game and the rest of it is trying to get to that point. ReCaptcha: TO DELAWARE! WHERE SCREEN DOORS ARE MADE!
  • RebornKusabi - July 15, 2010 12:39 a.m.

You know, I'm guilty of doing this due to the fact that some of the secret Riddler Challenges were hidden in completely asshole-ish places and I didn't want to have to resort to using a strategy guide to find them. Maybe they should just make it a type of augmented vision where when flipped on, it gives all of the same amount of information but still stay with in-game visuals while having you see anything out of the ordinary in your environment. Another idea is instead of hunting for maps, have it so that when you enter a room, have the game tell you what exactly is in the room ahead of time. Another idea is to just hide them in less evil manners but then that would defeat the purpose of having them even BE "Riddler Challenges". Basically, I can understand logically why having Detective Vision is even in the game, but it is essentially a double-edged sword by this point.
  • BSGVader - July 15, 2010 12:34 a.m.

I only used the detective mode when I was needed to to follow vapor trails and what not. I also occasionally used it to keep track of guys but other than that I rarely used it.
  • sgloomy - July 15, 2010 12:33 a.m.

I used Detective mode only when I had to so i saw a lot of the scenery, but after i finished the game you can still go back and find all the stuff you missed which is what i did and collected all the secrets. this is the only game i can recall that i actually wanted to find everything, it all had to do with batman and the story and they weren't just useless treasures. now enough about the first game, I WANT TO HEAR SOMETHING MORE ABOUT THE SEQUEL!!!!
  • D0CCON - July 15, 2010 12:10 a.m.

I was thinking for the sequel to still have detective vision, but when it's activated, it won't turn the surrounding area blue. The visuals will be the same, but enemies could be given a white glow (even through walls) or a red one if they're armed. Breakable objects could also have a (lesser) glow on them when the mode is used. I'm pretty much thinking of what Resistance did when you aimed down the sight with the auger and all enemies you pointed the gun at turned green (even if they were behind walls)
  • Ensoul - July 15, 2010 12:07 a.m.

@ mdhammer: Recharge, that's a good idea. It was a great feature though, like many I played with it almost always on for the same reasons as Hobojedi.
  • mdhammer - July 14, 2010 11:49 p.m.

I used the whole time. they should had made it something you got after a combo or you have to let it recharge.
  • lovinmyps3 - July 14, 2010 11:45 p.m.

I say modify it so it points out important points in the environment still and maybe have the skeleton figures that you can see through walls but they don't need the filter over the whole screen. I agree that it really took away from the atmosphere.
  • Weirdjedi - July 14, 2010 11:44 p.m.

I played through with detective mode because I was tired of being surprised by guys in the area. Easier to *poof* and see big bright bony men walking around the area than to see flesh and meat pop around the corner and into my face. Then I was sad that it wasn't beautiful and switched back. Then I... well you get the picture.
  • Tronto13 - July 14, 2010 11:31 p.m.

I liked it but it was way too overpowered, i wanted to use it due to this but didnt want to because the game was so frikkin beautiful! They should do the best of both worlds and have detective mode but only lighting up vents, enemies ets but keeping everything else in the gritty awesomness :)
  • Cyberninja - July 14, 2010 11:23 p.m.

hobojedi you made hego cry how do you live with your self
  • loonyman978 - July 14, 2010 11:23 p.m.

I found detective mode hurt my eyes after a while, especially on specific colours, so i kept it off for as long as i could
  • Hobojedi - July 14, 2010 11:18 p.m.

Yeah, I played through most of the game with detective mode on. I couldn't help it - I had to find every little secret and breakable wall..
  • Bloodstorm - July 14, 2010 11:17 p.m.

There wasn't that much to look at to take a pair of scissors to the games greatest mechanic. I think it will be a bad move to oust it just because the art guys feelings. If it weren't for the Detective mode, I don't think it would have felt as "Batman." It is what gave you the 1-up on the bad guys.