Topics

Nintendo

• n00b - July 11, 2011 6:38 p.m.

no more heroes and zack and wiki two great intellectually stimulating games that nintendo "failed to make widely known" so i agree with Iwata
  • Plan10FromOuterSpace - July 11, 2011 6:24 p.m.

Im pretty sure his comments on Nintendo 'growing up' are based on nothing more than the company image and presentation, Nintendo continue to innovate with both games and hardware and provide genuinely entertaining titles. There is however no reason Ninendo couldn't begin to explore some more serous titles once its new hardware is on sale, me and a good friend have previously discussed the idea of a more grown-up and darker pokemon game, with the core gameplay being the same but with a more adult story-line, possibly even exploring the moral issues of keeping and fighting these pokemon, its just a thought, but more adult themes could work well...if the company remembers to keep the games themselves innovative and fresh
  • Jasman - July 11, 2011 5:22 p.m.

I just want to play more amazing Nintendo games like Mario Galaxy and Kirby's Epic Yarn. It doesn't concern me whether these games have an 'intellectual' narrative or not. Nintendo has always succeeded by placing design and mechanics first, and I'd hate that to change. To be honest, I think the term 'intellectual' is far too broad to ascertain any real meaning in regards to games development.
  • shawksta - July 11, 2011 5:20 p.m.

Mario galaxy got intellectual with its story but then Galaxy 2 didnt have a bigger story but nobody gave a shit because Mario games are for fun to begin with and got 10s everywhere
  • shawksta - July 11, 2011 5:19 p.m.

@Spacegrass Your another blind one, Nintendo's games are Kid friendly, but they cater to everyone, otherwise, if they were for kids nobody would even play them to know how awesome their games are. Nintendo is technically the only company whose games that are Rated E are actually for EVERYONE rather than the crappy kiddy games we get from shovelware.
  • Spacegrass - July 11, 2011 5:14 p.m.

I think I've outgrown Nintendo. I think part of the problem is that, if their games have a plot at all, it's been recycled endlessly for generations; when was the last time you played a Mario game that wasn't about the princess getting captured again? That, and the characters are so divorced from reality that I can't relate to them at all. Still, I'm not asking Nintendo to start making games for me; Nintendo does what it knows, what it knows is making games for kids, and it does this quite well.
  • shawksta - July 11, 2011 5:07 p.m.

Advance wars,Earthbound,EveryMario RPG game,Xenoblade,Sin and punishment and Pikmin says HI! They are far away than what they normally do and isnt Metroid Prime mature enough? Im happy with their games, I dont know what Miyamoto's doing with his "New Nintendo Character" but we'll see. I like Nintendo the way they are, they keep getting better and their series are getting more deeper, . If by "Grow up" you mean "Release a bunch of shooters and gore" then fuck no.
  • r.c.leclaire - July 11, 2011 4:57 p.m.

I like the Pixar reference as I've used it in describing why some games come across as embarrassing and too childish to be seen playing while others do not. Certain games feel like a Pixar movie, where they are skillfully executed to be entertaining for both an adult and a child. But certain games are like bad Saturday morning Disney channel cartoons, where anyone over the age of 5 should be embarrassed if they play them.
  • Cyber6x - July 11, 2011 4:34 p.m.

I agree that most of Nintendo's franchises are just about pure fun. Zelda is an exception with it's limited puzzles but I would love to see a New IP by Nintendo about puzzle-solving maybe even some adult themes like morality (Something Nintendo have rarely tackled) seeing as the Wii doesn't have that many of those kinds of games. Something similar to what Valve have been producing recently. The Wii U could help Nintendo build a adult image whist still keeping the family-friendly titles it's now associated with. Let's just hope they use it to it's full potential and not just new sequels to old IPs.
  • moflomian - July 11, 2011 4:26 p.m.

I think that Nintendo can try to make more.. Uh... "intellectual" games. I hope they just mean more serious and less "LOOK AT ALL THESE SYMBOLIC REFERENCES!" Just make Fire Emblem for the 3DS as a start, and see where it goes from there.
  • garnsr - July 11, 2011 4:16 p.m.

It would be great if Nintendo came up with something that wasn't 25 years old. They can't really grow their current stable up, and they never seem to come up with a new premise that actually has any story, only Miis and peripherals for mini-games.
  • Crypto140 - July 11, 2011 4:16 p.m.

If only Satoru Iwata can use his "intellectual" buzz words on some of his games.
  • Gnilres - July 11, 2011 4:14 p.m.

Wow, I never thought of it that way. Looking forward to more intellectual games. And...first?