• Nikiicha11 - March 16, 2010 8:56 p.m.

A REALLY good step forward would be to get rid of the typical archetype protagonist, as Gamesradar said... I mean, I love Cloud a LOT, but seeing the same personalities, only in different bodies, over and over again (the TYPICAL lonewolf, the never-lose-hope cheery girl, the clumsy guy, the guy who goes out to save the world by sheer good will, etc...) THOSE THINGS DONT HAPPEN! I mean, humans dont really behave like that you know?? I'd like to see at least a more human character (if u cant customize him like in Oblivion and blah..) who shows anger, selfishness, worry, despair, but also laughs and gets along when he wants to. THATS A HUMAN! Good AND Bad! Oh and get over the teenage group of random people who end up saving the world kay?!
  • Evilsafetyboy - March 16, 2010 8:41 p.m.

@NanoElite666 - Yeah, that game was great. I think some would argue that Demons Souls was a western-style RPG rather than a "true" JRPG though.
  • garnsr - March 16, 2010 8:37 p.m.

I used to love JRPGs, but I haven't really played many since FF VIII. It seems like Japanese games of every type are just stuck in the past, and you have to really be a fan of the genre, and the Japanese renditions of the genre, to care much about Japanese games anymore. It's sad to see the country that used to mean video games falling by the wayside.
  • PhantomDave - March 16, 2010 8:12 p.m.

I think the totally linear aspect of the JRPG is off-putting to most gamers anymore. Especially with sandbox games like Elder Scrolls and Fallout, and to a lesser extent Mass Effect. I say lesser since you follow a storyline, but have a lot of options in how you get there. I'm playing FFXIII right now. The story and dialogue are horrible, but the fun gameplay is keeping me interested. Plus it looks fantastic. JRPG force you to sit through basically a cinema cut scene that happens to let you have control every once in a while. Where as Western RPG gives you a world and lets you do your own thing. I mean literally, playing FFXIII I sat through a five minute cut scene to be allowed to walk my group ten feet to initiate another one....wtf? LOL
  • Thanatos0013 - March 16, 2010 8:11 p.m.

i like FFXIII's battle system. use com and rav to slow down and raise the stagger bar, switch when you need healing or buff/debuf, and ATB canceling every other chain of actions gives you full atb bar
  • NanoElite666 - March 16, 2010 7:38 p.m.

How should JRPGs move forward? Pull something like Demon's Souls.
  • KaylaKaze - March 16, 2010 7:20 p.m.

I'd like FF13 if the combat system didn't suck. Trying to force turn based combat into a real time system just makes a mess. Give me the classic "ATB: Wait - Realtime" setting in the config menu and you'll have a much better game. Well, that and making my loot drops not dependent on how fast I can finish a battle.
  • Clickshark - March 16, 2010 6:41 p.m.

People need to take of the nostalgia goggles for one second and realize that they are playing a great game. Its 2010 not 1997 so of course its going to be different. Linearity? So that kept you from buying Uncharted 2, God of War 3 and Heavy Rain? It shouldn't because you'll be enjoying FFXIII for about 5 times as long gameplay wise.
  • loonyman978 - March 16, 2010 6:37 p.m.

I reckon Square will finally get around to a remake of FF7 now that 13s out fo the way. At least, I hope they do.
  • Ru89 - March 16, 2010 6:26 p.m.

oh yea...and FIRST on that ass! reCAPTCH: haywood nelson. who the hell is that?
  • Ru89 - March 16, 2010 6:25 p.m.

its a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. if they stay the same than people will say its the same old same old but if they switch it up than to the hardcore fans they will say its blasphemous(or however you spell it). i say let it stay the same. some people like old school(like me!)