• bang1221 - October 16, 2013 12:07 p.m.

What about bosses that you have to fight multiple times or that have multiple phases? so you finally get to the boss of the level, you go in start kicking ass wailing on the boss and laughing at the easiness of it all. Next thing you know the boss is at less than half health and a cutscene goes where the boss is running away or falls in a pool of lava and comes back with some inexplicable moves and becomes a nuisance or a super badass.
  • GR_ZachBetka - October 16, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Like the ending of FFXIII. Ugh I was beyond frustrated with that game by the time the THIRD FORM of that stupid final boss appeared. Not to mention it had an auto kill aoe spell...
  • artcellrox - October 16, 2013 11:39 a.m.

>It should not be called Shao Kahn GGWP, MR. HOUGHTON, MY SIDES HAVE NOW LAUNCHED INTO ORBIT! Great list, I've face examples for almost all these tropes. #2 reminded me of Capra Demon. SCREW THAT GUY!
  • rainn'sgaydar - October 16, 2013 11:39 a.m.

3 hits and it's dead. Looking at you, 2D platformers.
  • Talvari - October 16, 2013 10:45 a.m.

I'm kinda split on the minion thing. Sometimes it can be cool and make things really hectic which can be fun but othertimes, especially when the boss works with phases it can be a drag. Also the huge HP thing...FF12 optional final mark anyone? >.> Amazing model design, crappy fight because of it having a bajillion HP. Great list!
  • JarkayColt - October 16, 2013 10:44 a.m.

Perfect. I hate all of these. The "unclear hit feedback" point reminds me that it took me forever to defeat Ganon in Ocarina of Time, because he appears to be hurt by the Biggoron Sword, and yet the only way to defeat him is by using the Master Sword. When you assume that the Biggoron Sword is more powerful, and that you seem to be dealing damage, it's hard to understand why the fight never ends, even if it does make sense to land the final blow with the Master Sword once you finally realise the mistake. Another good example from Zelda is the first form of the Nightmare from Link's Awakening; it's a giant blob that appears to take damage from your sword, and yet it takes FOREVER to defeat it that way to the extent that you'll question whether or not it's even doing anything. The actual solution is to use Magic Powder, which kills it almost instantly, but there was no real precedent of using Magic Powder to deal with similar enemies before then, so you probably wouldn't have worked that out unless you got really desperate; you'd probably just stick it out with the sword slashes in the small hope it would eventually die on the NEXT attack. Or the next one. Or maybe the one after?
  • antiAntag0nist - October 16, 2013 10:35 a.m.

Good list. I can't remember any specific fight in the Viewtiful Joe series but I'm sure I got screwed more than once by attacks from the background. Also, Shao Kahn was a terrible boss fight. I thought he was bad in the older 2D games but the reboot took him to a new level of cheapness.
  • awesomesauce - October 16, 2013 10:33 a.m.

How did you guys not use any pictures from Dead Rising, cause this list was basically Dead Rising in a nutshell