• pinoklin - October 16, 2013 5:17 p.m.

omg yes that fight against vergil was perfect for porraying that trope. hell i spent 30 minutes on that fight before realizing i had to use devil trigger to kill him.
  • cyco687 - October 20, 2013 6:46 p.m.

same here, i had him down to the end over and over and over and my health was as low as it could be until i finally tried devil trigger at the right moment and won, it was really obnoxious since the rest of the game was really good.
  • Sy87 - October 16, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Yes, all this is true. It gets lame when they do cheap gimmicks to seem like they made a decent boss fight. Can't someone make a good boss. Oh wait there are. Thank you Dark Souls for making bosses fun again.
  • WrathLord03 - October 16, 2013 3:36 p.m.

I think this list just reminded me why I love the 2010 Castlevania so much. Most of the bosses in that game were so well done. I think the way to go with bosses is that while sometimes its nice to have huge ones for that 'wow' moment, the ones that actually test you are either the same size as you or a little bit bigger. Dodging loooong, slooow attacks and then attacking the fist that's for some reason still on the ground is not fun. Facing those who can block and evade like the player are very fun. And then you can throw in little gimmicks, like the magic thing in Lords of Shadow, to make it even harder, without being cheap! And satisfying QTEs. Please, for the love of God, give me satisfying QTEs.
  • slimjim441 - October 17, 2013 12:14 a.m.

I LOVE Lords of Shadow, but it is undisputedly guilty of slide #9. Each boss only had 3 or 4 quips they'd throw out there during the fight. It got old.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - October 16, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I think the one I find most annoying is the true form/regenerating health.
  • GOD - October 16, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Boss health regen, spontaneous rule changes, and unclear hit feedback are the worst offenders in my opinion. I don't mind the minions thing though, and in some games it's actually an important part of the fight. For example the minions dropping an item that you need to then use against the boss to which actually makes it a more involved and unique fight.
  • GOD - October 16, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Also I'm cool with multi-form boss fights as long as they have reasonable checkpoints when they're longer, and as long as they don't tread down any of these other paths when they change forms like gaining health regen...
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 7:18 p.m.

I agree there. A boss with all 3 of these is frustration incarnate. I'd also add bosses that require certain methods to damage them, but those conditions are unclear. So maybe they have unclear hit feedback, maybe you're not hitting the right spot, who knows? Not me.
  • larkan - October 16, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Dat Shao Kahn fight.
  • shawksta - October 16, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Great list.
  • winner2 - October 16, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Fucking christ the minions take the cake for me, I cannot stand having to divide my attention like that during a boss
  • Darkhawk - October 16, 2013 1:30 p.m.

True form does it for me. Either the first two forms are suspiciously easy (hmm... I wonder what'll come next), OR they're unfairly difficult and you wind up using up a whole bunch of ammo/items before facing the FINAL form. The Final Boss in the original Parasite Eve comes to mind: great design, but each form was SO difficult!
  • PlainLikeVanilla - October 16, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Boss fights you are supposed to lose screw me over all the time. Not because I waste resources but because when I get to a hard boss I think I'm supposed to lose and then let them kill me. 99% of the time I'm just under-leveled and get mad when I have to reload a save.
  • g1rldraco7 - October 16, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Gamers need to remember that boss fights re one of the reasons why new controllers are bought when you either chuck yours into the wall or through a window.
  • pl4y4h - October 16, 2013 12:34 p.m.

The worst part about that FF boss is that it's hard as hell to survive when it's unkillable and just as hard when you try to exact revenge later cause of the party you're forced to use.
  • MeTimeFreeTime - October 16, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Brilliant, very nice list! Nothing as satisfying as defeating a tough boss, the games of this gen seem to have really easy boss fights or no boss fight at all, I'm looking at you ME3 and your damn marauder shields. >_>
  • cyco687 - October 20, 2013 6:47 p.m.

the reaper turians, i dont remember what they were called but FUCK, those were essentially mini bosses
  • bang1221 - October 16, 2013 12:07 p.m.

What about bosses that you have to fight multiple times or that have multiple phases? so you finally get to the boss of the level, you go in start kicking ass wailing on the boss and laughing at the easiness of it all. Next thing you know the boss is at less than half health and a cutscene goes where the boss is running away or falls in a pool of lava and comes back with some inexplicable moves and becomes a nuisance or a super badass.
  • GR_ZachBetka - October 16, 2013 12:47 p.m.

Like the ending of FFXIII. Ugh I was beyond frustrated with that game by the time the THIRD FORM of that stupid final boss appeared. Not to mention it had an auto kill aoe spell...