• SomeOddGuy - October 16, 2013 5:24 p.m.

After having played through a lot of fighting games and such, I can attest the bane of my existence are regen health fights and needlessly difficult boss fights. While I hated the second Shao Kahn fight to death, There's only two bosses I've never actually managed to topple through their respective arcade modes... Gargoyle(Killer Instinct Gold) and i-No(Guilty Gear XX)... I might actually be able to beat Gargoyle nowadays since I only remember fighting him back when I was 10 years old.(though I had beaten MKIII Shao Kahn and KI's Eyedol prior to) After touching Guilty Gear nowadays after getting used to Blazblue and managing to beat that game's secret arcade boss, I for the life of me cannot beat Arcade i-No even after beating Regen health i-No in story mode... Talk about a rage worthy boss... >_>
  • XNam360 - October 16, 2013 11:31 p.m.

Set it to one round per match and use your instant kill move :P ... And it's Gargos, not Gargoyle!
  • SomeOddGuy - October 16, 2013 11:38 p.m.

I did a nostalgic viewing of some classic KI youtube vids, and realized my mistake on that. Sucks there's no edit options, but I suppose I wouldn't have actually made that mistake if I looked for both boss characters instead of stopping after looking back to get Eyedol's name... XP Still, I really should have probably done that, though I don't actually know if instant kill moves work on boss characters in Guilty Gear XX AC... I've never seen one from my knowledge, though most the time I look for boss fight vids for XX I typically get sent to Vs. Matches on the hardest difficulty with Golden Order Sol. >_> Maybe I could attempt it next time I give XX AC+R another shot.
  • XNam360 - October 17, 2013 12:22 a.m.

Instant Kills definitely work against I-no. Also, what I do is just play arcade mode on the easiest difficulty. The main reason I play is to unlock gallery images, so I see no reason to waste all day fighting hard battles against the computer for no extra reward when I can just breeze through the mode easily instead. Back to the original topic though, I actually think I-no is fairly tame as far as fighting game bosses go. Unlike a lot of other fighting game bosses, she isn't outrageously super-powered compared to your player-controlled character. Her only boss-exclusive move, the "Megalomania," is not hard to avoid and she can only use it three times per round. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she's technically only as strong as a normal opponent; she doesn't have boosted health or defense or attack power; her artificial intelligence is just much better than average.
  • SomeOddGuy - October 17, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I'll probably have to change the difficulty like what I had to do with Story mode when I fought against Regen i-No... It was infuriating fighting her, though her AI was dumb enough to enable me to land several successions of hits to eventually take her out while she spammed the same moves. Unless the stats are different between XX and AC+, from what I could tell, her damage output against your player is at least doubled since she can easily knock 25% off my health with a decent 4-5 hit combo, and I believe her health handicap is set to 150% or 200% since I know the damage output I put against her runs much lower than all the other characters I fight against prior to. I never really have issues with Megalomania since I rarely ever get to the third activation due to her damage enhancements usually resulting in me losing from mistimed attacks more than anything. Plus the only one I really dread is getting attacked by the full screen attack... I'll probably have to do it single round since I don't believe I can survive two rounds against her.(I did something similar with Seth from Vanilla SFIV after losing to him after an hour and a half with Chun Li my first time playing after launch XP) Still, I'll get through it someday... I've made it all the way to Tsubaki in CS(1)'s Score Attack mode once before and I've even beaten SF3rd Strike's Gil in normal 2 rounds. I suppose it just takes a heck of a lot of patience and timing. :P
  • pinoklin - October 16, 2013 5:18 p.m.

also, caius from FF XIII-2 is a MAJOR OFFENDER to the health trope. you take him down and once you switch for 5 secs to heal up so he doesn't murder the jesus out of you he heals back up in no time.
  • pinoklin - October 16, 2013 5:17 p.m.

omg yes that fight against vergil was perfect for porraying that trope. hell i spent 30 minutes on that fight before realizing i had to use devil trigger to kill him.
  • cyco687 - October 20, 2013 6:46 p.m.

same here, i had him down to the end over and over and over and my health was as low as it could be until i finally tried devil trigger at the right moment and won, it was really obnoxious since the rest of the game was really good.
  • Sy87 - October 16, 2013 4:51 p.m.

Yes, all this is true. It gets lame when they do cheap gimmicks to seem like they made a decent boss fight. Can't someone make a good boss. Oh wait there are. Thank you Dark Souls for making bosses fun again.
  • WrathLord03 - October 16, 2013 3:36 p.m.

I think this list just reminded me why I love the 2010 Castlevania so much. Most of the bosses in that game were so well done. I think the way to go with bosses is that while sometimes its nice to have huge ones for that 'wow' moment, the ones that actually test you are either the same size as you or a little bit bigger. Dodging loooong, slooow attacks and then attacking the fist that's for some reason still on the ground is not fun. Facing those who can block and evade like the player are very fun. And then you can throw in little gimmicks, like the magic thing in Lords of Shadow, to make it even harder, without being cheap! And satisfying QTEs. Please, for the love of God, give me satisfying QTEs.
  • slimjim441 - October 17, 2013 12:14 a.m.

I LOVE Lords of Shadow, but it is undisputedly guilty of slide #9. Each boss only had 3 or 4 quips they'd throw out there during the fight. It got old.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - October 16, 2013 3:16 p.m.

I think the one I find most annoying is the true form/regenerating health.
  • GOD - October 16, 2013 2:50 p.m.

Boss health regen, spontaneous rule changes, and unclear hit feedback are the worst offenders in my opinion. I don't mind the minions thing though, and in some games it's actually an important part of the fight. For example the minions dropping an item that you need to then use against the boss to which actually makes it a more involved and unique fight.
  • GOD - October 16, 2013 2:53 p.m.

Also I'm cool with multi-form boss fights as long as they have reasonable checkpoints when they're longer, and as long as they don't tread down any of these other paths when they change forms like gaining health regen...
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 7:18 p.m.

I agree there. A boss with all 3 of these is frustration incarnate. I'd also add bosses that require certain methods to damage them, but those conditions are unclear. So maybe they have unclear hit feedback, maybe you're not hitting the right spot, who knows? Not me.
  • larkan - October 16, 2013 2:49 p.m.

Dat Shao Kahn fight.
  • shawksta - October 16, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Great list.
  • winner2 - October 16, 2013 2:13 p.m.

Fucking christ the minions take the cake for me, I cannot stand having to divide my attention like that during a boss
  • Darkhawk - October 16, 2013 1:30 p.m.

True form does it for me. Either the first two forms are suspiciously easy (hmm... I wonder what'll come next), OR they're unfairly difficult and you wind up using up a whole bunch of ammo/items before facing the FINAL form. The Final Boss in the original Parasite Eve comes to mind: great design, but each form was SO difficult!
  • PlainLikeVanilla - October 16, 2013 1:16 p.m.

Boss fights you are supposed to lose screw me over all the time. Not because I waste resources but because when I get to a hard boss I think I'm supposed to lose and then let them kill me. 99% of the time I'm just under-leveled and get mad when I have to reload a save.
  • g1rldraco7 - October 16, 2013 12:46 p.m.

Gamers need to remember that boss fights re one of the reasons why new controllers are bought when you either chuck yours into the wall or through a window.
  • pl4y4h - October 16, 2013 12:34 p.m.

The worst part about that FF boss is that it's hard as hell to survive when it's unkillable and just as hard when you try to exact revenge later cause of the party you're forced to use.
  • MeTimeFreeTime - October 16, 2013 12:25 p.m.

Brilliant, very nice list! Nothing as satisfying as defeating a tough boss, the games of this gen seem to have really easy boss fights or no boss fight at all, I'm looking at you ME3 and your damn marauder shields. >_>
  • cyco687 - October 20, 2013 6:47 p.m.

the reaper turians, i dont remember what they were called but FUCK, those were essentially mini bosses