• rob619 - October 17, 2013 2:35 a.m.

The Metal Gear series has the best boss battles in gaming. Each character has a human yet mytical touch. From Pyscho mantis..all the way to crying wolf. Where in the end the robotic versions can turn into hot females :)
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 6:59 p.m.

The MGS bosses are definitely up there. One thing I find great about them is that many of them do some of the bad design examples on this list, but still manage to be brilliant and unique.
  • gladdudeos - October 17, 2013 2:11 a.m.

what about the siren in bioshock infinite! and all the wasted ammo in mgs
  • Danomeon - October 16, 2013 9:27 p.m.

Recently one of my big frustrations have been bosses that have one or two attacks that are way more powerful than the rest of their abilities. There was a particular boss in Tales of Xilia (Milla's story exclusive) that was mostly tame, but she had a single attack called "sharpened whip" that did as much damage as any of her other attacks times 3. Even her ultimate unavoidable mega attack wasn't capable of dropping the player's health below zero, but getting nailed by that sharpened whip move could shoot you down from 1k to death in an instant. Because of this, it felt as if the boss' random attack selection factored heavily into success.
  • cyco687 - October 20, 2013 6:44 p.m.

1000 needles? lol
  • Swedish_Chef - October 16, 2013 8:25 p.m.

I think something that deserves to be mentioned is the reoccurring boss fight. Now let me clarify I don't mean characters like Alastor in Viewtiful Joe or Vergil in Devil May Cry, because those represent examples of a good reoccurring boss, one that changes significantly each time you fight them to reflect your progression throughout the game. What I'm talking about are bosses like those stupid Boom Boom's in countless Mario games that appear constantly throughout the game, never change at all in terms of getting new moves or forcing you to change your strategy/improve your gameplay to beat them and instead are just repetitive, easy and boring.
  • Danomeon - October 16, 2013 9:20 p.m.

I had a pretty big problem with the way that two of Skyward Sword's dungeon bosses were the same fella. Worse yet, it was the main bad guy fella that you see throughout the game, so there was no surprise at encountering a powerful new foe.
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 7:05 p.m.

I felt the first DMC had examples of annoying reoccurring boss fights, if only because he had to fight EVERY boss like 3 times, and I didn't feel like they were much different at all. It felt like I was just doing the same thing over and over again. It was probably my least favorite thing about the game, especially when it came to bosses I didn't enjoy fighting. The saving grace was that you didn't have to fight the final boss 3 times, because I HATED him. Subsequent DMC's definitely solved that problem though, and the bosses in general were much more balanced.
  • Zexal - October 16, 2013 7:13 p.m.

The "minions" one doesn't bother me, since that's usually the game saying 'Here...heal up" or something. But damn....Shao Khan in MK9 was a beast. He basically looks at the laws of physics and goes "Lol, nope" Not even Bison wen't THAT far.
  • Swedish_Chef - October 16, 2013 8:01 p.m.

You haven't fought Alpha 3 Bison then. Jesus christ Alpha 3 Bison was insane... AND HE WASN'T EVEN THE TRUE FINAL BOSS!!!
  • Zexal - October 17, 2013 1:53 a.m.

Oh I have. In fact, that's who I had in mind. Bison was tough, but he still obeyed the laws of the game....more or less. If you hit him, then, you hit him. If you managed to combo him, even better. Shao Khan did not. If you tried to combo him, he'd break out of it. If you tried to go with regular hits, he'd be all "Aww...how cute...but no" and ignore it most of the time. Bison would punish your mistakes. Khan made your well thought out and viable plan a mistake.
  • gadjo - October 17, 2013 9:52 a.m.

Oh, god I remember Shao Khan from M9. That fucker was ridiculous. About the only smart way to beat him was to play as a character that could stun people (scorpion, sub-zero, etc) and use the stun move over and over to set up short combos. The hardest fight in the game was the final fight between raiden and Shao Khan. I already knew the fucker's tricks, but without stun, all you could do was teleport and uppercut constantly until he died.
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 7:09 p.m.

The only rule Bison breaks in pretty much every SF is that at times he's like "I know I'm a charge character, but screw it, I don't need to charge my moves!"
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 7:08 p.m.

Shin Bison? Screw that guy.
  • sadowolf - March 28, 2014 7:11 p.m.

Minions are a boss to boss situation for me. There are some where it's a nice opportunity to heal up, and others where the minions just annoy the hell out of me and keep me from hitting the boss in the few precious moments where they're vulnerable; or the distract me just long enough for the boxx to get the jump on me.
  • SomeOddGuy - October 16, 2013 5:24 p.m.

After having played through a lot of fighting games and such, I can attest the bane of my existence are regen health fights and needlessly difficult boss fights. While I hated the second Shao Kahn fight to death, There's only two bosses I've never actually managed to topple through their respective arcade modes... Gargoyle(Killer Instinct Gold) and i-No(Guilty Gear XX)... I might actually be able to beat Gargoyle nowadays since I only remember fighting him back when I was 10 years old.(though I had beaten MKIII Shao Kahn and KI's Eyedol prior to) After touching Guilty Gear nowadays after getting used to Blazblue and managing to beat that game's secret arcade boss, I for the life of me cannot beat Arcade i-No even after beating Regen health i-No in story mode... Talk about a rage worthy boss... >_>
  • XNam360 - October 16, 2013 11:31 p.m.

Set it to one round per match and use your instant kill move :P ... And it's Gargos, not Gargoyle!
  • SomeOddGuy - October 16, 2013 11:38 p.m.

I did a nostalgic viewing of some classic KI youtube vids, and realized my mistake on that. Sucks there's no edit options, but I suppose I wouldn't have actually made that mistake if I looked for both boss characters instead of stopping after looking back to get Eyedol's name... XP Still, I really should have probably done that, though I don't actually know if instant kill moves work on boss characters in Guilty Gear XX AC... I've never seen one from my knowledge, though most the time I look for boss fight vids for XX I typically get sent to Vs. Matches on the hardest difficulty with Golden Order Sol. >_> Maybe I could attempt it next time I give XX AC+R another shot.
  • XNam360 - October 17, 2013 12:22 a.m.

Instant Kills definitely work against I-no. Also, what I do is just play arcade mode on the easiest difficulty. The main reason I play is to unlock gallery images, so I see no reason to waste all day fighting hard battles against the computer for no extra reward when I can just breeze through the mode easily instead. Back to the original topic though, I actually think I-no is fairly tame as far as fighting game bosses go. Unlike a lot of other fighting game bosses, she isn't outrageously super-powered compared to your player-controlled character. Her only boss-exclusive move, the "Megalomania," is not hard to avoid and she can only use it three times per round. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she's technically only as strong as a normal opponent; she doesn't have boosted health or defense or attack power; her artificial intelligence is just much better than average.
  • SomeOddGuy - October 17, 2013 9:02 a.m.

I'll probably have to change the difficulty like what I had to do with Story mode when I fought against Regen i-No... It was infuriating fighting her, though her AI was dumb enough to enable me to land several successions of hits to eventually take her out while she spammed the same moves. Unless the stats are different between XX and AC+, from what I could tell, her damage output against your player is at least doubled since she can easily knock 25% off my health with a decent 4-5 hit combo, and I believe her health handicap is set to 150% or 200% since I know the damage output I put against her runs much lower than all the other characters I fight against prior to. I never really have issues with Megalomania since I rarely ever get to the third activation due to her damage enhancements usually resulting in me losing from mistimed attacks more than anything. Plus the only one I really dread is getting attacked by the full screen attack... I'll probably have to do it single round since I don't believe I can survive two rounds against her.(I did something similar with Seth from Vanilla SFIV after losing to him after an hour and a half with Chun Li my first time playing after launch XP) Still, I'll get through it someday... I've made it all the way to Tsubaki in CS(1)'s Score Attack mode once before and I've even beaten SF3rd Strike's Gil in normal 2 rounds. I suppose it just takes a heck of a lot of patience and timing. :P
  • pinoklin - October 16, 2013 5:18 p.m.

also, caius from FF XIII-2 is a MAJOR OFFENDER to the health trope. you take him down and once you switch for 5 secs to heal up so he doesn't murder the jesus out of you he heals back up in no time.