• Vonter - December 5, 2013 8:10 p.m.

Pride: Nintendo Sloth: Sport games Greed: EA Gluttony: Activision Lust: Team Ninja Wrath: Internet commenters Envy: Sony (still copies others ideas instead of having ones of their own)
  • g1rldraco7 - December 5, 2013 7:04 p.m.

The real question is how can you redeem yourself from these sins? Humans make mistakes and yet thi article really opened my eyes.
  • Kidhaze - December 7, 2013 12:32 a.m.

It's a cycle, only way to break it would be humans being perfect. That said, you can't redeem yourself from human nature.
  • g1rldraco7 - December 7, 2013 5:50 a.m.

Good point. :)
  • jedisamurai - December 5, 2013 5:50 p.m.

Pride:Nintendo who won't reduce prices on their virtual store or their games because "It would tarnish their image" Greed:All Publishers, who are SO greedy, that they have forced Kickstarter into existance because no publisher will risk not turning profit in order to make a product for a small group of people. Gluttony:Steam, which has devoured the entire PC gaming market Lust:That new PC rig/PS4/Xbox One you've been drooling over Wrath:Fanboys, who do love them some flame wars Envy:SEGA, who dearly wishes they had a slice of the market like the big players so everyone could play great arcade games and sequels to classic Dreamcast/Saturn games Sloth:You after playing video games and downing that entire pizza with a Cherry Cola
  • Xtapolapopotamus - December 5, 2013 5:42 p.m.

Man, this article was great and a fantastic idea. Well done, Mr. Betka, and nice choices for the entries!
  • winner2 - December 5, 2013 4:48 p.m.

Hey now, lust is fine as long as you don't go cray with it. Be a good person, but oggle it up.
  • BladedFalcon - December 5, 2013 4:28 p.m.

Hah, awesome idea for an article, Mr. Betka! And I was pretty entertained thorough! If I have one complain though, is that I think you went too easy on the pride side... or at least, didn't pick the best or most notable examples of this in this generation. I mean, where's the mention of Kutaragi's hubris in claiming "You people should be thankful for paying as little as 600 dollars for a PS3." Or Iwata's gall in proclaiming "That's odd... we expected the fans to come out rushing to buy more 3DS back at launch". Both cases of Company head honchos thinking their bran is big and important enough to get away with anything.
  • garnsr - December 5, 2013 4:46 p.m.

I think Sony coming into this generation and Microsoft going out would qualify for pride. I'm not sure Nintendo's problem is pride, exactly.
  • BladedFalcon - December 5, 2013 5:05 p.m.

Nintendo has sinned of pride in the past, but yeah, this generation not THAT much, except that instance I mentioned. Back when the 3DS launched, Iwata felt pretty confident that the 3DS didn't need a lot of good games at launch because fans would gobble them up anyways. That counts as a huge sin of pride and arrogance, if you ask me.
  • shawksta - December 5, 2013 8:10 p.m.

Having the 3DS be the first and only gaming machine i ever bought at Launch, in can confirm that.
  • BlueBoboDoo100 - December 5, 2013 3:46 p.m.

It's not actually paying for lives in the Sonic game. It was just a pre-order bonus from amazon that didn't cost anymore than just the game. To my knowledge there is no DLC option to buy lives through the e-shop. It's still a really dumb pre-order bonus, and you can buy lives in Sonic Dash as well as any multitude of similar iOS games.
  • NightlordKrusnik - December 5, 2013 3:35 p.m.

what, no gluttony? no satirical railing of developers creating games, only to dangle them in front of our collective face and then take them away and devour them? (i'm looking at you, Blizzard. I don't know if i'll ever forgive you for teasing Starcraft: Ghost all those years ago....)
  • GR_ZachBetka - December 5, 2013 3:44 p.m.

Thank god you said something because I straight up skipped that slide when I was putting together the article. It's there now! Also seriously, Startcraft Ghost, I was looking forward to that so badly.
  • sepirothpk - December 5, 2013 6:35 p.m.

People always forget one, don't they :P