Topics

Great Debate

• Scuffles - September 27, 2012 3:36 p.m.

Both have fair points. I'm going to have to say there are room for both good 2D and 3D fighters. No need to choose just one.
  • BladedFalcon - September 27, 2012 3:26 p.m.

2D fighters, no question about it. 3D fighters can no doubt be fun and cinematic, but at the end of the day, let's face it, they just don't match the complexity and strategic gameplay of 2D fighters. Anyone that disagrees is just someone that frankly isn't good or doesn't get 2D fighting games. That, and even if 3D fighters can move more "fluidly" they still don't match the sheer satisfaction and over the top ways you can destroy opponents in a 2D fighting game. Which makes them all the more fun to watch than a 3D fighting game.
  • zombi3grim - September 27, 2012 8:25 p.m.

"Anyone that disagrees is just someone that frankly isn't good or doesn't get 2D fighting games." This is why I love you, my little mexican sausage. When you say shit like this.
  • keith-wayne - July 2, 2013 5:39 p.m.

you're underestimating 3d fighters severely. 3d fighters are very very very strategic and full of depth and more. you should look up DOA5, tag team tourney 2, and vf5 guides. now, on topic, I give the nod to 3d, only cuz I've never learned much from them until recently I looked them up and might I say, they super dope.
  • taokaka - September 27, 2012 3:12 p.m.

I think Justin put up the better argument of the two, Lucas just made it sound like street fighter vs 3d fighters. However which do I chose as my favourite? They both have flaws 2d fighting games fast pace and projectiles make them a blast to watch but can also become a pain to play where it becomes whoever can release as many moves as they can wins. And I hate quarter circles, they can really break the fluidity of your movements and attacks even when using a fight pad so you can pull them off easily. While on the other hand 3d fighters have the much more natural, accessible input systems with tekken being my favourite because of how logical it is two of the faces buttons for different punches, another two for kick, pressing two of them at the same time for an upper body or lower body special move and if you know that and time your moves correctly and keep your distancing well then you can win just about any match. Another plus for 3d is distancing, Lucas tried to say that this was an advantage of 2d but I highly disagree, I love using distancing correctly as a defence mechanic, if the enemy can't hit you then you're safe but you need to keep it just right so that you can swoop in and attack if the enemy stuffs up while in 2d fighters this just isn't the case, the opponent will either jump over your head, spam long range attacks or if they're a button masher just flail their arms around and make it hard for you to hit them. Another thing is Lucas said everybody should know hadouken commands well in my group of friends whenever we get together to game and street fighter makes it into the night I'm the only one pulling off hadoukens. Overall I can't decide a winner so it's a tie for me.
  • BladedFalcon - September 27, 2012 3:40 p.m.

Not really, Lucas also took into account the sweet inventive designs of games like skullgirls of BlazBlue, the air-juggling and combat of games such as MvC3 and the fatalities of MK. And really, Justin was mainly using Virtua Fighter as his justification/point of reference, even though most of other 3D fighters aren't nearly as tight controlled as that one, he still talked as if all of them were just as balanced.
  • wadesmit - September 27, 2012 2:36 p.m.

Great article. While I feel Lucas argued his pov better, I still agreed with and voted for ol' Towell.
  • superdude22 - September 27, 2012 2:32 p.m.

As someone who is terrible at fighting games, but has played them for years, I can still say I prefer 2D fighters. Their is a familiarity to all of them, but they still range from ridiculously complicated (Blazblue) to easily accessible (Persona 4: Arena). I also have a raging hard-on for good 2D animation, so Arc System Works, as I am also a cartoon nerd. 3D fighting games can still be enjoyable, DoA is amazing, at times, and Soul Calibur has provided me with hours of enjoyment, even the kinda bad ones like Bloody Roar can be fun. However, learning the new mechanics for every 3D fighter can be annoying at times and it just doesn't feel as fast, flashy and exciting as 2D fighters.
  • DiJunoMan - September 27, 2012 2:26 p.m.

Just because it doesn't necessarily work for tournaments doesn't mean that it is a worse fighting game, an argument that I believe was covered recent in RadioRadar. Tough choice, but the fight feels more fluid and fun in 3D to me.
  • pl4y4h - September 27, 2012 2:13 p.m.

due to me being better at 3D games, imma have to side with Justin. I'm also not a big fan of the 2D fighting community. Maybe it's because I suck at 2D fighters (besides brawl which was brought up surprisingly) but i don't how there are so many more ways to take advantage (spamming, unbreakable combos, etc) in 2D fighters. The 3D fighters i play usually fill me with joy, and the 2D ones with rage and ultimately frustration but hey, that's just me
  • pl4y4h - September 27, 2012 2:14 p.m.

*wasn't