• JMarsella09 - October 25, 2012 7:53 p.m.

I alway thought that space battles would be giant electronic virus/firewall fights. I mean think about it, you shoot something in space it's going to keep going until it hits something. So if you miss, you could be damaging other ships or even planets. That seems like a big risk, far safer to just shut off another ships air.
  • Zeedar - October 26, 2012 8:14 a.m.

That part in ME2 was awesome, but it was also incorrect. If you were to shoot a bullet into empty space, it would most probably never hit anything, because the universe expands faster than the bullet goes. Unless your projectile is like really-really fast, it probably won't hit anything. I can't list any sources, because I don't remember where I've read it, sorry about that.
  • theintellectual - October 26, 2012 8:32 a.m.

I hate to be one of those guys, but MA rounds from a dreadnought's main gun travel at 1.3% of the speed of light. I think that's what I'd call 'really really fast'.
  • Andrew Groen - October 26, 2012 11:36 a.m.

I'm not sure you read the article...
  • wampastompa - October 25, 2012 9:03 p.m.

My physics teacher in high school did a similar presentation in high school, and it was as depressing then as it is now. Another one that I've seen you mention on this site before and that he mentioned - there's no sound in space, so all the cool iconic noises (TIE Fighters, explosions etc) would all be silent.
  • kyle94 - October 25, 2012 9:54 p.m.

While this is a bit unrelated, there's actually an explanation to that (though I can't remember if it's a fan theory or if it was actually described in a book) Basically, all the sounds heard in Star Wars movies are actually sound affects played by on-ship computers, designed to simulate it. It's easier to know a TIE fighter is behind you when you can hear it, and it's easier to know where the fighting is by listening to where the explosions are coming from. But, yea, outside of having a computer making sounds, space battles will be completely silent.
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - October 25, 2012 9:32 p.m.

The "Aliens are cool/bad dudes" bit brought up a great point. Chances are that intelligent life would be absolutely nothing like us, making us unable to comprehend their motives or interests. Even then, who is to say that the way they think could be anything comparable to the human psyche? In order for that to happen, not only would the conditions in which alien intelligence developed from would have to be similar to ours, but their basic biology would probably have to be similar too. Think of how much of our psychology has its roots in hunger, reproduction, and our senses. The probability of all that lining up is small on an infinitesimal level.
  • RadgarLaser2 - October 25, 2012 10:34 p.m.

So you're saying Star Craft I & II and Mass Effect 1-3 is not preparing our youth for future Space Wars? If Star Wars games have taught me anything, it's that space sucks and Earth rules!
  • Andrew Groen - October 26, 2012 10:29 a.m.

I'm of the opinion that everything rules. I'm a universe enthusiast.
  • Aarononymous - October 25, 2012 11:29 p.m.

How about the idea of energy shielding? Pretty much all sci-fi that involves space combat and long-distance space travel relies on it. Yet I'm pretty sure we have no idea how it would work in real life.
  • boondocks50 - October 25, 2012 11:39 p.m.

The fact that nothing in space would ever explode is a good one. You need oxygen to create fire as we know it and there's none of that in space so all those fiery explosion we see would never happen.
  • theintellectual - October 26, 2012 1:12 a.m.

Not in the hollywood sense of the word where every explosions looks like a big petrol bomb, but flash vaporization from lasers and nuclear weapons will still put on a heck of a light show, though it'd look a lot more like the flash from somebody's camera then a fireball. Think the beginning of Starwars episode 4 then the beginning of starwars episode 3. Also, igniting fuel lines and oxygen from crew compartments would probably still cause flames here and there, though it would be brief.
  • dcbernman - October 25, 2012 11:39 p.m.

Would be nice if you guys could caption those screenshots so we know where they are from. I know most of them are recognizable, but number 10 looked interesting and I had no idea where it was from.
  • thomas-morrisroe - October 26, 2012 7 a.m.

I think no. 10 is from Bulletstorm, but I could be wrong.
  • bass88 - October 26, 2012 2:58 a.m.

Regarding "Cross-galaxy communication is super-duper easy" I suggest a film called Voices From A Distant Star. It deals with this issue in a most depressing manner.
  • bass88 - October 26, 2012 2:59 a.m.

I'm sorry. That's Voices Of A Distant Star.
  • Andrew Groen - October 26, 2012 10:23 a.m.

I'm going to watch that so hard you don't even know. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm all about that kind of thing.
  • winner2 - October 26, 2012 6:14 a.m.

Question....how good do you think the video games made by the aliens might be? I bet they have some fun stuff.
  • Andrew Groen - October 26, 2012 10:22 a.m.

Haha This is a great thought. But I think they'd probably suck. Video games only work for humans because our brains get all happy when we do certain things. Our brains loooove audiovisual feedback, and they looove overcoming obstacles through strategy. A lot of that is a product of our upbringing in the fricken jungles and savannahs so who knows if they even have games at all. I'd bet their awesome tech *could* specially craft something for us though.
  • Zeedar - October 26, 2012 8:01 a.m.

One thing, in all sci-fi, that annoys me: sound in space. There should be none. No roaring engines, no loud explosions, no pew-pew of lasers. OK, it doesn't really annoy me, because space battles would be really boring without the sound effects, but it is still factually incorrect.