Topics

Week of Hate

• BladedFalcon - May 11, 2013 3:49 p.m.

I think the hate on most of these are justified (Specially FFXIV, what a croc of shit that game was.) except on the case of the megaman ones and somewhat on the case of Left 4 Dead 2 and Bayonetta 2 coming to the Wii U. Even though my dislike for the Wii U is very public and outspoken, it's unreasonable to get mad at either Platinum or Nintendo for this, if nothing else, people should have attacked SEGA, who was the company that originally owned the first title and refused to publish the second one. And yes, even though I'm sad that I'm probably never gonna get to play Bayonetta 2, I'd rather have it exist than not. As for the Megaman ones... Seriously fanboys, get the fuck over it. As butthurt as you act and insult capcom for "disrespecting" megaman. The fact of the matter is that the franchise simply wasn't selling that well in recent years, and when the whole MML3 scandal occured, Capcom DID reach out to the community by all the media outlets possible to promote the game and get people involved. (I can speak about this with certainty, because I remember this being announced even in high profile sites like IGN at the time.) If not enough people responded, it really wasn't that unreasonable for Capcom to kill the project if it was never gonna sell that well. And the Bad Box Art megaman in SFxT? that was actually a pretty hilarious, fun joke. And I say this as someone who loves Megaman and has played every single 2D entry to date. I love the franchise, and i love the blue bomber, but I also have a sense of humor and know how to take a joke. And I also understand that when a project is canceled because it won't sell... well, more than the publisher's fault, it falls more on the public's general lack of interest. The most hilariously stupid thing MM fanboys have done thought? rage and bitch about Street Fighter X MegaMan being released FOR FREE to everyone. Yes, it's a fan made project and not a true Megaman game, but it was better than nothing, and it's still a fun game, and it cost you absolutely zero. Getting angry about that was just mind-bogingly ungrateful, and shows why we as a community often can't have nice things.
  • shawksta - May 11, 2013 5 p.m.

My only real issue with Megaman Legends 3 being cancelled was what Capcom was really expecting. Do they actually think the fans will see the entire game through? They expect the players to create the game and every single idea for them? It IS justified over why its cancelled but its weird how Capcom would even start the damn thing in such a way to begin with.
  • BladedFalcon - May 11, 2013 5:05 p.m.

They weren't asking the fans to do their work for them, just asking them a few choice questions regarding names and appearance design, such as what kind of suit should megaman have had. It's the kind of thing every single kickstarter does on a daily basis, and was a nice way to try and get people to participate. That they didn't wasn't Capcom's fault. Might have been if they hadn't made any buzz about it, but as i said, they did, they really did.
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - May 12, 2013 5:40 p.m.

Capcom Europe disagrees. ;P
  • BladedFalcon - May 12, 2013 5:59 p.m.

Not sure to which post this was directed to. But still, could you elaborate in what you mean? I don't think I get it ^^;
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - May 12, 2013 7:22 p.m.

Sorry, didn't realize how it would post it here. It was to the "they weren't asking the fans to do their work for them" part. To sum up: 'Capcom’s tweet (“it’s a shame the fans didn’t want to get more involved :-( if we saw there was an audience for MML3 people might change minds”) provoked humorous responses from users such as @dertek’s snarky comment, “how exactly do you want people to be “more involved?” Do you want us to make the game for you?” To which CapcomEuro replied, “well yes that’s the point of the Dev rooms.”' From http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/07/21/capcom-blames-mega-man-legends-3-cancellation-on-lacking-fan-involvement.aspx Simply put: BIG PR snafu there.
  • BladedFalcon - May 12, 2013 8 p.m.

...That was a very unfortunate choice of words from their parts, yeah. I think we can both agree that community handling isn't Capcom's strongest suit :P (Although Capcom-Unity isn't bad, I think.)
  • LBD_Nytetrayn - May 12, 2013 8:13 p.m.

Agreed; I think Unity does the best it can with what it's given (and that includes the fans it has to deal with).
  • Raycon - May 13, 2013 1:46 p.m.

I feel you're completely over selling the "buzz" they supposedly made for the devroom. Something that I feel shot themselves in the foot in regards to participation is where they said it was okay for people to "sit back and watch" in the little video they made for the devroom. They shouldn't have said that if it wasn't the case. That said, I still feel like a pretty good number of people participated for what it was. Something that probably would have helped is if they had actually released the promised prototype. That would have given them a lot of things to discuss as people would have actually had a basis for discussion. Things like what they liked and what they disliked about the game, glitches they might have found, things of that nature.
  • The_Ouroboros - May 12, 2013 2:23 a.m.

That was a great read. You're still one of my favorite people here, even after all these years. We may not always agree, but your delivery is top notch.
  • FlyWire2 - May 11, 2013 2:23 p.m.

I'd like to mention the complete opposite of this: Citadel DLC. This ME3 DLC at first didn't generate many expectations but once it launched the ME community extasiated at the astounding quantities of fanservice, in-community jokes and answered questions about the characters plus adding lot more interaction with them with a completely non-serious plot. I think Citadel DLC redeemed the original endings in many, many, many ways.