• Shepard212 - August 11, 2011 7:45 p.m.

My favorite team-driven game is Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Whenever I play a 2-on-2 team-game, each character cannot defeat the opposing team without a partner. In a stock-game, any time one teammate loses all his lives, the other surviving teammate is outnumbered and helpless against the other team of two, provided that one of the two opponents isn't knocked out either. Meanwhile, in a time/coin-game, both members of the same team have to combine their point/coin amounts in order to gain more than the other, otherwise they'll still lose. This is why in a 2-on-2 Smash Bros. game, having a partner is vital. You HAVE to protect and depend on your partner to defeat the other team, or else one of you will be a complete liability to the other.
  • Japanaman - June 2, 2011 11:12 p.m.

Eh, I beat Chip N Dale by myself just fine. A partner always seemed to hinder me. One game I cannot beat by myself is Four Swords. That DEFINITELY should have been on the list. That, FF Crystal Chronicles, and Phantasy Star Online.
  • ChocoMongoose - June 2, 2011 10:14 p.m.

Oh Four Player Podcast, taking the co-op out of cooperation
  • lovinmyps3 - June 2, 2011 8:08 p.m.

Portal 2 is THE best co-op I've ever played. It was soooo good!
  • Kipper - June 2, 2011 6:56 p.m.

Gears 1 is a great co-op campaign , except when the 2 players are forced to split up - doubling the chance of failure. those parts are actually easier to play solo.
  • Limbo - June 2, 2011 6:12 p.m.

I like me some CoD Zombies. 2 player split screen and 4 player system link. Everything's funner when the people you're playing with are right next to you.
  • SphincterSquirrel - June 2, 2011 3:41 p.m.

I couldn't wait until Rescue Rangers came out when I was a kid. After Contra this was my next Co-op dream of torturing my brothers with aggravating gameplay.
  • jmcgrotty - June 2, 2011 7:35 a.m.

Co-op needs to be removed from any and all games. Anyone who supports it needs to have their ass taken outside and beat senselessly for destroying the industry. Quit supporting this crap, guys!
  • revrock - June 2, 2011 2:28 a.m.

Monster Hunter Tri, Kirby's Epic Yarn- and Superstar.
  • ripperroo123 - June 1, 2011 10:49 p.m.

Disappointed Lode Runner isn't on here. The Legend Returns had several co-op-requiring-co-op levels, but the 360 version seems to be made of these.
  • EwoksTasteLikeChicken - June 1, 2011 10:35 p.m.

I agree with Gears, L4D, Portal, and Bubble Bobble. I would argue that Halo ODST requires co-op, but then again, firefight was the only good thing ABOUT that game.
  • philipshaw - June 1, 2011 10:23 p.m.

Great list, Portal 2 is the best example of this headline. I would like to add Timespliters 2 and in particular the neo-toyko level because if you don't work together there is no chance of passing that level
  • jayrockslife - June 1, 2011 9:25 p.m.

i agree with most of these (can't agree with ones i haven't played lol) One game that I used to LOVE playing co-op with my dad was The Lost Vikings on Genesis. I loved playing as those silly vikings trying to solve the puzzles and find their way home.. I still have the original game manual with all the level passcodes written down in it.
  • SuperSubGaz - June 1, 2011 6:36 p.m.

Ohh you game playing minors... Head Over Heals you underage numpties! Learn your history and you will understand the now!
  • Xtapolapopotamus - June 1, 2011 5:26 p.m.

You know Chris Antista helped this article when Rescue Rangers was mentioned. Great article, always love co-op games that actually require you to COOPERATE with each other, instead of just not kill each other all the time. That said, it's always worth a laugh to steal the last health pack and leave a teammate for dead in L4D as you scuttle to the safehouse while they get flayed to death.
  • oneshotfinch - June 1, 2011 4:48 p.m.

Spec Ops in Modern Warfare 2 mastered co-op. You had to be in sync with all of your partners actions to get the 69 stars.
  • Darkwun - June 1, 2011 4:29 p.m.

id have to add resi 5... mainly because the 1 player is so damn hampered by sheva/chris's AI without a human player! DAMN U TWIN MINIGUN GUYS! Sheva i said man that turret... no... the FUCKING TURRET! no, leave the herb alone... no dont move! what, where are you going now! STAY THERE! for the love of god do i really have to run all the way over to the turret while being shot at just to tell you to go back to it? a fuck off then, im gonna go play resi 4!)
  • willmaster123 - June 1, 2011 4:06 p.m.

Annnnndddd... of course the newest game is the top of the list.
  • Ninja-KiLLR - June 1, 2011 3:30 p.m.

splinter chaos theory. where is it??? the co-op missions require so much teamwork it is crazy. but i love the chipendals one that game rocked or it is just my memories thinking it was great since i was like 7 when i played it.
  • Imthedoctor - June 1, 2011 3:17 p.m.

that L4D video made my day xD