Ronaldo. Suarez. Messi. Iniesta. It’s surely FIFA 17 (opens in new tab)’s ultimate Ultimate Team – but if you want to piece it together with real cash, you’re looking at forking out north of £500.
Ultimate Team is FIFA’s best mode and, for the uninitiated, sees you earn coins by playing matches – and your teams for said matches are made up of players acquired as Panini/Topps-style cards. You can earn these cards by spending those coins on blind packs, or using the in-game eBay style transfer market. The latter is the fastest way to build your dream team but, as demonstrated by the above numbers, also the priciest.
Coins can be scored by winning matches, selling cards, or spending real moolah, and when it comes to acquiring the best player in the game – Cristiano Ronaldo – it’ll cost you well into three figures (and a whole lot of wheeling and dealing just to amass the necessary in-game currency).
I pieced together GR+’s dream Ultimate Team below, using players’ current average transfer values. In order to do so, I placed a value of a highly specific £0.00015219047 (stay with me!) on each coin in the PS4 version of ‘FUT’. That’s based on someone purchasing seven packs of gold cards, to a value of 7,500 coins per pack (so 52,500 total), for £7.99.
There’s a heavy Spanish focus, to guarantee maximum chemistry, and no place for wingers Neymar or Gareth Bale (whose stats don’t quite match those of Ronaldo or Messi) or Paul Pogba – the best central midfielder in the game, but a poor match for the rest of the side according to Ultimate Team’s algorithms. If you want them you’ll need to splash out the equivalent of £77.47 for Bale, £79.14 for Neymar, and a whopping £152.20 for Pogba.
Note that all prices refer to UK Pounds Sterling, as US Dollar prices within FUT vary.
Here's the GR+ ultimate Ultimate Team in full – with each player's in-game currency cost, along with the real life equivalent.
- GK: David De Gea (Manchester United, 90) – 129,000 / £19.63
- RB: Sergi Roberto (Barcelona, 83) – 18,500 / £2.82
- CB: Gerard Pique (Barcelona, 86) – 18,750 / £2.85
- CB: Sergio Ramos (Real Madrid, 89) – 141,000 / £21.46
- LB: Marcelo (Real Madrid, 86) – 38,750 / £5.89
- CM: Ivan Rakitic (Barcelona, 87) – 45,000 / £6.85
- CM: Andres Iniesta (Barcelona, 88) – 69,000 / £10.50
- CM: Luka Modric (Real Madrid, 89) – 94,000 / £14.30
- RW: Lionel Messi (Barcelona, 93) – 940,000 / £143.06
- ST: Luis Suarez (Barcelona, 92) – 548,000 / £83.40
- LW: Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid, 94) – 1,300,000 / £197.85
That's a grand total of: £508.31. So if you want to put together the dream Ultimate Team, best book in another few night shifts…
Want more critical hints for FIFA 17's biggest mode? Then be sure to read our Ultimate Team essential tips and tricks feature (opens in new tab), with advice provided by developer EA Canada.