God of War: Ragnarok lead actor threatened to quit over new director
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more
You are now subscribed
Your newsletter sign-up was successful
Want to add more newsletters?
Every Friday
GamesRadar+
Your weekly update on everything you could ever want to know about the games you already love, games we know you're going to love in the near future, and tales from the communities that surround them.
Every Thursday
GTA 6 O'clock
Our special GTA 6 newsletter, with breaking news, insider info, and rumor analysis from the award-winning GTA 6 O'clock experts.
Every Friday
Knowledge
From the creators of Edge: A weekly videogame industry newsletter with analysis from expert writers, guidance from professionals, and insight into what's on the horizon.
Every Thursday
The Setup
Hardware nerds unite, sign up to our free tech newsletter for a weekly digest of the hottest new tech, the latest gadgets on the test bench, and much more.
Every Wednesday
Switch 2 Spotlight
Sign up to our new Switch 2 newsletter, where we bring you the latest talking points on Nintendo's new console each week, bring you up to date on the news, and recommend what games to play.
Every Saturday
The Watchlist
Subscribe for a weekly digest of the movie and TV news that matters, direct to your inbox. From first-look trailers, interviews, reviews and explainers, we've got you covered.
Once a month
SFX
Get sneak previews, exclusive competitions and details of special events each month!
The voice of Kratos in God of War: Ragnarok says he tried to quit the sequel over its change of director.
In a series of tweets last night, God of War: Ragnarok actor Christopher Judge revealed that he was responsible for the God of War: Ragnarok delay, having required multiple surgeries in the autumn of 2019. Judge also revealed, however, that he almost abandoned the project for an entirely different reason.
At the end of his string of tweets, Judge said that "[God of War director Cory] Barlog told me at Tribeca [film festival] that he wouldn't be directing the sequel." Earlier this year, it was revealed that Barlog had taken on a new role at developer Sony Santa Monica, and would be returning to Ragnarok as a producer rather than a director. He's been replaced by God of War veteran Eric Williams, but Judge wasn't initially convinced by the change of lead.
Last thing. Barlog told me @Tribeca that he wouldn’t be directing sequel. I quit.(no joke) he said, do you trust me?(yes) He said Eric is a beast. I said he better be… UPDATE, ERIC WILLIAMS is a motherfuckin BEAST!!! @SonySantaMonicaSeptember 30, 2021
Judge claims that he quit the project, but says that Barlog convinced him to change his mind, saying "Do you trust me? [...] Eric is a beast." Judge is clearly a convert though, ending his tweet by suggesting that "Eric Williams is a motherf***in BEAST!!!"
It's hard to think what might have been had Judge actually left the project, but Sony Santa Monica has confirmed that he's definitely staying on. After the last State of Play, the company introduced a suite of new and returning God of War: Ragnarok characters and their actors, including a very beefy Thor.
Eric Williams and Cory Barlog spoke to GamesRadar+ about the return of Kratos.
Weekly digests, tales from the communities you love, and more

I'm GamesRadar's Managing Editor for news, shaping the news strategy across the team. I started my journalistic career while getting my degree in English Literature at the University of Warwick, where I also worked as Games Editor on the student newspaper, The Boar. Since then, I've run the news sections at PCGamesN and Kotaku UK, and also regularly contributed to PC Gamer. As you might be able to tell, PC is my platform of choice, so you can regularly find me playing League of Legends or Steam's latest indie hit.


