• shawksta - November 25, 2013 8:25 p.m.

I really hope for the better, the game industry didnt kick its ass and revive itself just for this, they need to do it right or drop it entirely.
  • mark-cottrell - November 26, 2013 11:33 a.m.

I am pretty the video game industry has yet to have a collapse in order for it to revive itself, especially when you have Christofer Sundberg saying things like: "find new ways to monetize the players" taken from his views on "COD:Ghosts". When your mind set is to "monetize the players" when that have spent £55 (or $60) on your game, then there is clearly a problem with the industry that needs to be sorted before you can think it has revived its self.
  • shawksta - November 26, 2013 4:32 p.m.

I meant back in the 80's with the Crash
  • Vonter - November 25, 2013 7:46 p.m.

I still think the best use of DLC and MT are opening alternatives in a game rather commodities or esthetic items. Red Dead Redemption I think is a good DLC because it alternates the gameplay in a unique way, and has fun with throwing ideas that wouldn't have fitted the original game concept. Also in Enslaved's DLC it was a change in perspective getting to play a different character that controls differently and solves things in a alternative way than the hero. My two cents, but I think developers have to give more thought on how these practices make the game more fun or interesting rather than just ease the grind for the player or punish those that bought the first version of x fighting game. -__-
  • Christopia86 - November 26, 2013 9:32 a.m.

I agree, Undead Nightmare was a great add on that was well worth the price.
  • TokenGamesRadarFurry - November 25, 2013 7:44 p.m.

• shawksta - November 25, 2013 6:53 p.m.

• g1rldraco7 - November 25, 2013 6:15 p.m.

You either accept change or not. There's no avoiding it, but it is never easy. Stupid micro transactions :P
  • Doctalen - November 25, 2013 5:43 p.m.

Coop, have you noticed this trend on the PS4 exclusives? It would seem reasonable to assume that this type of business model would be adopted by Sony
  • GR HollanderCooper - November 25, 2013 7:15 p.m.

Not that I can find, no. That said, the PS4's big games are smaller than the Xbox's, so it's hard to tell.
  • Doctalen - November 25, 2013 9:01 p.m.

Hmm I'll put on my cynical thinking cap then.
  • Earthbound_X - November 25, 2013 5 p.m.

Yeah, I heard Forza has a 60 Pound Car, that's what? 90 bucks in Us Dollars?
  • FoxdenRacing - November 26, 2013 2:55 p.m.

It depends on how you pay for it. If you're a good little consumer and spend $100 in a single purchase of tokens, you can get the car for ~30. If you buy in lesser quantities, it can go as high as 63. For one car. That you can't drive until after you've paid for it [in-game credits or otherwise]. No thanks!
  • Eightboll812 - November 25, 2013 4:58 p.m.

Good article Coop. The issue I have with microtransactions here is that I'm already paying a premium price on the game. To be made to feel like my $59 isn't enough to get the premium experience is really a slap in the face. I can tolerate games like PvZ2 being F2P and having lots of microtransaction opportunities. I expect to see either free with microtransactions or pay for the full game with few things like maybe avatars or whatever. I don't expect to pay for a full game and then get milked. In fact, that will make me increasingly just play on PC, cuz that's total garbage. The fact that there is even $139 worth of purchasable content in a $59 game is ridiculous. What's slightly funny here is that all this micro-money-grabbing was already planned from the beginning ON TOP OF not letting you trade your games and all the other money grabbing things MS was planning to do. So you can pay $59, then another $139 on coins, but you wouldn't be able to recoup maybe $20 on trade-in later, if the original plan had gone into effect. It's really starting to make EA look like a good company by comparison. Almost....
  • Doctalen - November 25, 2013 5:40 p.m.

I agree on everything you've said. If microtransactions are to become the next big thing, I think I'll go PC and embrace my inner pirate. Even if that inner pirate will only feed the vicious ironic cycle of microtransactions