Topics

piracy

• busterdog82 - November 30, 2011 8:14 p.m.

i loved this game so much and it was worth full price to me.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - November 30, 2011 7:34 p.m.

I gladly paid full price as a Steam prepurchase! ^_^ Unfortunately I still can't play it. -_-
  • Pwnz0r3d - November 30, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Considering how miniscule the money is given to artists for every album bought, I don't mind music piracy. (Unless they're indy. They deserve total support.) This however is indeed tragic, but as i stated in another article concerning piracy, I only pirate games that don't benefit the company anymore because of their age. (Rome Total War being my biggest example.) Its unfortunate that that many people just steal the game, but there's no real solution to fixing it.
  • LSZ - November 30, 2011 7:20 p.m.

Gabe Newell said: “Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem.” And, at least to me, it's partly. I've pirated games in the past but have done that much less ever since Steam came out.
  • festafreak - November 30, 2011 7:19 p.m.

I don't agree with the content of some of the game so for that reason I won't buy it but kudos to them for not going the dark path of DRM. It doesn't work. Thank you CD projekt for not falling to the norm.
  • CreeplyTuna - November 30, 2011 7:02 p.m.

I didn't think much of this game till reviews came out and took me by surprise. Went out, bought it, love it. I was actually pissed when Game Informer rated LA Noire lower than Witcher 2 but was still game of the month! But how did 4.5 million people pirate this game?! I thought people were supposed to be nice and decent. What happened to supporting the underdog? CD Projekt works their butt off to give you one of the best games of the year and people can't even spend $50? This just makes me sick. I hope some better form of anit piracy software than DRM gets developed in the future, so this doesn't happen anymore - or at least less often. And to the commenters saying they shouldn't have released such a buggy game, do us all a favor, and take up bird watching and leave us alone with our fun, buggy games, like Minecraft, Skyrim, Battlefield and Call of Duty.
  • angelusdlion - November 30, 2011 7:19 p.m.

No matter how much of an underdog beloved developer you are it's hard to compete with free.
  • ZhugeLiang - November 30, 2011 6:40 p.m.

The general tenor of the comments posted on this article seems to be, "if software is buggy and its support fails to meet consumer expectations, it deserves to be stolen." ...What?
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - November 30, 2011 7:44 p.m.

A bunch of fucking spoon-fed children. Self-entitled little douchebags.
  • Net_Bastard - November 30, 2011 9:47 p.m.

Saints Row 2 had abysmal optimization. Are we spoon-fed because we can't deal with that? Sonic Generations had Xbox 360 button prompts, even when you just have a keyboard plugged in. Is not expecting some quality make me self-entitled? I don't pirate games. But fuck me if some of the shit devs do with some of their games justifies piracy.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - December 1, 2011 4:24 p.m.

You'd actually be surprised to find out that they aren't forcing you to purchase them and that you can, in fact, just not get them.
  • aliengmr - December 1, 2011 1:03 p.m.

What about when you are denied playing the legal copy you purchased by the copy protection that should have stopped you from obtaining the illegal copy that you had to get if you just wanted to play the game? My question is, how are DRM companies still in business? Seriously, how can anyone justify paying for something that is guaranteed to fail? I don't mind DRM as long as it doesn't get between me and my game. I only ever pirated a game once, but kept the legal copy I purchased. But I don't feel sorry when some dumbshit publisher decides to use use some uber draconian DRM that is only successful at stopping paying customers from playing the game while those that pirated the game are actually playing it. Does the game deserve to be stolen? Of course not, but more DRM hasn't helped. Problem is, very few of those providing the games really care about trying different ways of combating piracy. They keep using the "sledgehammer" approach and when that fails they get a bigger "sledgehammer" and so on. Then, when that "sledgehammer" starts hitting paying customers, they get all upset when it gets thrown back in their face and then they run home crying to the xbox. Combating piracy is going to take finesse and many different approaches working together before any progress is made. Even then it wont go away. Valve's approach has been to make obtaining a game easier than the use of torrent sites and its helped, but more approaches must be utilized at the same time. Like adjustments in pricing and demos for the PC. I fault CD projekt for not releasing a PC demo. (I do think they have the right attitude towards piracy and hope they still have the courage to stick with the PC platform.) Game don't deserve to be stolen, but I can't feel sorry for those who don't take the initiative to limit piracy with out frustrating paying customers.
  • JMAN1156 - November 30, 2011 6:26 p.m.

You would think they would realize that a large number of "people" who downloaded the game are actually bots trying to get the file transferring spread. And he is right about the DRM, if you want MORE people to pirate it, add DRM.
  • 8bitBaby - November 30, 2011 6:24 p.m.

hunh. are those numbers right? that can't be right. i don't know anybody who bought OR pirated that game. and i know almost everybody in the world so obviously those numbers can't be accurate. C: seriously. i've never played it, and wanting to, didn't make me pirate it. but it's good to see some people understand that if i did want to give it a go, no amount of protection is going to keep me from trying it out. did they figure out how many of those pirated copies later translated to legitimate sales? that happens right?
  • Flowerbed - November 30, 2011 5:54 p.m.

i buy what i can afford. I believe in supporting the artists and designers behind the industry . These people work their asses off, and CDprjecktRED, by all means, seems to be one of the studios that is genuinely trying it's best to contribute something decent to the pile. To the entitled, self-righteous brats who try to justify their piracy in any context: sod off. there is no single justification for pirating a game. Grow a spine and learn what it feels like to make decisions with your cash. Might gain some self-respect too, after you resist pirating a game you 'wouldnt have paid for anyway'. bloody free-loading parasites. put yourself in the shoes of the guys and girls who make these games. to the rest of you who paid for this (seriosuly amazing, albeit technically challenged) game: you rock. That puts you a million times above these wankers. get someone to pat you on the back or hi five your screen. coz i am.
  • jasoncarter - November 30, 2011 4:52 p.m.

Look, I bought this day 1, then discovered that they decided to not have native 16:10 or 4:3 resolution support, WHICH WAS NOT TOLD TO ANYONE, along with the insane amount of bugs not fixed. Had to wait over 2 months for that to be fixed. I'm sorry but don't release your shit half assed. This is what you get when you do this kinda thing. Cd projekt was one of my favorite game makers, no longer. This is the same company that says, we not using drm, and then in the next sentence says, we will go after anyone who pirates this to the full extent of the law. How about this. Release your game in a GOOD state, not the shit storm that it was released as. Oh and then there was the whole bullshit with the forums being down for over a month and a half as well so we had NO OUTLET for support. That was great CD projekt, I won't forget that.
  • GR HollanderCooper - November 30, 2011 6:41 p.m.

"This is the same company that says, we not using drm, and then in the next sentence says, we will go after anyone who pirates this to the full extent of the law." What me said makes complete sense. They're not going to use DRM because it doesn't work, not because they WANT their game to be pirated.
  • ThisIsMyFuckingThirdAccount - November 30, 2011 7:42 p.m.

Oh Hollander, don't argue with the children. It's not their own fault they felt buyer's remorse instead of waiting to see what the final product was.
  • Shadow Of Death - November 30, 2011 4:17 p.m.

I bet a lot of the people who did pirate it actually bought it after trying it out. I didn't pirate it personally, but I know of at least one person who pirates a game because he can't afford it right away, but purchases it when he has the money. It's not always about money troubles either, but quality control. If a demo isn't available for a PC game, some people undoubtedly try a cracked copy instead, and if they like it they buy it properly. The way I see it, piracy is something that worries shareholders, which worries devs/publishers who go ahead with DRM to placate said shareholders, even though I imagine a lot of the devs/publishers know DRM is ultimately a losing battle that can scare away paying customers. CD Projekt was great for not using DRM. The numbers in the article sound crazy high, and indeed there probably were some cheapskates that pirated the game instead of paying for it, but DRM wouldn't have stopped those people, since DRM or no DRM they wouldn't have bought the game anyway, at least in most cases.
  • Monkeychow01 - November 30, 2011 4:10 p.m.

I really don't like these arguments. I bought the game as well, but who's to say those "pirates" would have EVER bought the game? Everyone screams "OMG we COULD have made money" but you don't know that. They might have avoided the game all together. I doubt 4.5 million people would have bought the game instead of downloading it.