Topics

Nintendo Wii U

• ChronoBodi - August 13, 2012 7:52 p.m.

There is NO debate. Consider how long we've had the X360 and PS3, with roughly 2005-era specs. it's close to 7 years for X360, and 6 for PS3. During all this time, advances has been made in GPU technology as well as other specs. While the specs of the X360/PS3 remains as largely as they have been since launch, the PC gets the obvious benefit of constantly improving technology. Now, Nintendo can use newer GPU tech for its Wii U, and at this point, it's rumored to be based on the AMD Radeon 5000 series, give or take a generation. The X360 does have a Radeon GPU, it's based on the X1800 series... that's 4-5 generations behind the rumored Wii U GPU. As much as you want to believe fantastic coding can make up for lack of power, there is already a point where all possible power has been extracted already, and I believe we hit that wall around 2011. Now, i'm not saying that better specs are needed to make a good game, but it's obvious games could be more advanced by now if M$/Sony released a new generation back in 2010, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.
  • Darkhawk - July 17, 2012 1:19 p.m.

Yes, because Scribblenauts is the best way to test the power of a video game system. #facepalm
  • Tjwoods18 - July 17, 2012 6:07 p.m.

If it ran crysis, I would be suprised. Until then cartoon shaded characters will not cut it for me.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 16, 2012 10:20 p.m.

no it dosent i was at e3 and i playd the garbege wii u and the grafics was so horrable even at there best it wasnt even as good looking as an ps2 game so yah wiiu is not a next genreation systam its just plane garbege
  • Kermit1970 - July 17, 2012 3:05 a.m.

Did you actually go to school, or did you drop out? Your spelling is atrocious
  • AuthorityFigure - July 17, 2012 3:31 a.m.

I don't believe you. At. All. A next generation system is whatever the makers of the systems say it is. You have no say.
  • ParagonT - July 17, 2012 10:59 a.m.

If a Microsoft representative told you that the Xbox Infinity can lay golden eggs, does that make it so?
  • AuthorityFigure - July 18, 2012 1:39 a.m.

It would carry more weight than anyone on this forum - and that's the distinction I tried to make.
  • ParagonT - July 18, 2012 6:28 a.m.

I understand your point fully, I was just being snide lol. But I was just mentioning that these representatives/makers/employees do not have your best wishes in mind. They are hired to sell these things, good or not, and help generate consumer trust. Their job is dependent on the the selling of it, so that's why it's good to be cynical about it. So its true that we will never know as much as an employee would, but they are only going to tell you the good things about it. So they're misleading most of the time.
  • aberkromby - July 18, 2012 4:44 a.m.

The new Xbox can lay golden eggs? I'm buying six.
  • LordEvan88 - July 16, 2012 6:37 p.m.

Someone just needs to set it on a lake or something and settle this once and for all. Game systems don't work on water! UNLESS YOU HAVE POWAAAAA!
  • FireIceEarth - July 16, 2012 5:09 p.m.

I owned 3 xboxes, but kept getting RROD, so switched to a PS3, which has yet to fail me. I also had a Wii for a while, but sold it because it spent the vast amount of it's life under a thick coating of dust because aside from a few rare games, the vast amount of it's games library was shovel-ware which I would rather practice auto-trepanning than play. I think that with the Wii U (which they really ought to change the name of) it'll have an initial burst of popularity, but will die out quickly, should Nintendo follow the same MO when it comes to selecting games which they allow to be published. Also I think that considering Nintendo have already saturated the casual market with the Wii, anyone who hasn't been converted to a more hard-core gamer (i.e. most of them) won't bother to buy a new console when the Wii U rolls around, therefore making their main focus-group the hardcore and the fanboys, and while the hard-core know that power isn't the be-all and end-all of a console; that it's the storytelling, novelty and inventiveness which makes great games, more power enables developers to use a greater draw distance, better physics and A.I., creating a more fulfilling and engrossing experience. Final point; can anyone remember anyone giving praise to a late-generation Wii game where the praiser didn't add "...for a Wii game", such as "Skyward Sword is really good, for a Wii game". It was let down by it's power, it could have been so much better.
  • ParagonT - July 16, 2012 8:34 p.m.

Well said, agree fully.
  • Fox_Mulder - July 16, 2012 10:13 p.m.

I hope they change the Wii U's name too, but I pray that it's enough for Nintendo to stay in business. Also, I think Nintendo did just fine by Skyward Sword. Yes, the Wii's lack of power affected the game but I think it affected it in a good way. It made Nintendo come up with an amazing art style to make up for the Wii's lack of processing power. While I do agree that it could have been better, I think if Nintendo had waited to release it on the Wii U and take full advantage of it, it wouldn't have SO much better. Like you said: "it's the storytelling, novelty and inventiveness which makes great games," and Skyward Sword had that in droves compared to most games running on PC, 360 or PS3.
  • talleyXIV - July 16, 2012 3:06 p.m.

I don't give a flying fuck about its capabilities. As long as they can still make games like Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, Super Mario Galaxy, and Metroid Prime, it is all good in my book. Maybe the graphics can't be super realistic but with fantastic and original games still being made, why do they need to be so good?
  • ObliqueZombie - July 16, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Because this is "next gen." Most people aren't willing to spend over $300 to have a machine that lags behind the rest. And it's not just graphics--entire game capabilities could be either limited or gone entirely.
  • AuthorityFigure - July 17, 2012 3:37 a.m.

The facts show that there is no correlation between cpu power and console sales - the reverse is often true. Gameboy > Gamegear Wii > Both rivals
  • ParagonT - July 17, 2012 10:39 a.m.

True, but sales do not mean a "better" system depending on your personal wants. Wii has a very different targeted demographics (one of the most ignorant when it comes to games, and body weight conscious) than other platforms. That demographic summarizes your statement quite nicely, they tend to not care as much about hardware but more of what seems fun and what will just simply work at the time and they are a more broad and populated demographic, hence the sales. So it's difficult to even generalize that statement when its based on/targeted to different demographics. Gaming is for fun, but if your statement is true, then why have we moves passed older systems? The Wii controller may open up new possibilities, but a better spec'd system could as well. It's all about the new possibilities, thats why.
  • AuthorityFigure - July 30, 2012 2:03 a.m.

I never said the Wii was better, just that it sold more than it's moe powerful rivals - (in response ObliqueZombie). Neither am I saying that popularity means that the product is 'better'. I actually prefer the PSP to the DS, but the DS is more successful. Also, the demographics are a fine point. After all, all the different groups spend the same on the unit regardless of their intent.
  • forestfire55 - July 16, 2012 2:16 p.m.

Tisk tisk, microsoft, you used to be so cool man. Now what? Your down to degrading a NINTENDO SYSTEM! Thats like if someone lost a leg, and then he got a prosthetic one, then someone said MY LEG IS BETTER!