• BladedFalcon - January 25, 2013 8:16 p.m.

Ah, Hyperbole Houghton strikes again. First, I must clarify that Nintendo direct was massive AND impressive, and certainly does a very good job in presenting a nice cache of first party games on their way. But see, to me, that's exactly it, first party games, as always, is Nintendo's main strong point... but it also sheds light that once again, The Wii U is headed into the same exact direction that the N64 went, and the Gamecube, and the Wii... A distinct lack of third party support in general. And that is why I must politely disagree with this editorial, certainly, the Wii U appears to be more focused now on what it offers, but what it offers is the same strengths and shortcomings Nintendo Platforms have had for the past 17 years, and i can guarantee the steady support of quality third party games won't be there, and a such, it won't offer enough quantity of quality games, which, for some it obviously might not be a problem, but for others, such as myself, certainly is.
  • ncurry2 - January 25, 2013 11:03 p.m.

I respect your opinion, Mr. BladedFalcon, I do. And I openly confess that I most certainly fall into the camp of "it obviously might not be a problem" because I know that Nintendo will deliver amazing, must-play games in the majority of its franchises as it did with the N64 and the GC and the Wii. That's really all I want and need out of a Nintendo console and I have yet to be disappointed. But I don't see why you feel so pessimistic about Nintendo after this presentation. Would it have been better if they ignored the mistakes they made while also not attempting to correct them? To me, this was Nintendo admitting that maybe they haven't been keeping the core gamer in their focus as of lately but they are going to try fix that. Perhaps it wasn't as good as I suspected though because you seem to be the exact sort of person that Nintendo was targeting with this and you still remain skeptical at best.
  • BladedFalcon - January 26, 2013 5:28 a.m.

"Would it have been better if they ignored the mistakes they made while also not attempting to correct them?" Not, it wouldn't have, but what mistake are they correcting here exactly? they showed a slew of new first party exclusives, and a par of third party exclusives, and that's it. This is what Nintendo has always done in the past, but the third party support has always eluded them still. So this really does nothing to convince me that they have learned from that particular mistake. Want proof? The Wii U has been out for at least 2 months now, and is a machine that seems capable to run any current generation game developed for any other competitor. So why then, are some of the most important third party games that have come out recently, or been announced for other consoles, aren't heading for it? Far Cry 3, Devil May Cry, Meteal Gear Rissing: Revengeance, Bioshock: Infinite, GTA V, Tomb Raider,, Dead Space 3, Dark Souls 2. All of these are massive third party games that most hardcore gamers probably wil want to play, and they will able to do so anywhere else BUT in Nintendo's console, even though right now they have a machine that could run them fine. And think, this is NOW, when the other two are still with their old machines. Once they announce their new machines, and (probably) show that they have much more powerful hardware, do you really think Third parties will support Nintendo any more than how they are doing now?
  • ncurry2 - January 26, 2013 10:20 a.m.

I think third parties will support Nintendo more than they are doing now but not by means of cross platform launches. I think (or at least am hopeful) that people outside of Nintendo will come up with great software that is tailored to the Wii U. If it's a cross platform game, I'd rather play it on a PC since it will run better and have infinitely more community support. For me, consoles are defined by the experiences that only that particular console can provide which is why I am a self admitting Nintendo fan boy. They simply provide the best experiences that you can't get anywhere else. I would love to see more third parties also chipping into this and I think that is what Nintendo is trying to accomplish. I guess it's just a difference of you viewing third party support as multiplatform releases whereas I am viewing third party support as console exclusives.
  • Rub3z - January 26, 2013 1:22 p.m.

BladedFalcon, you are delivering the strong and mighty points once again (as usual) and I respect that, but in spite of the Hyperbole Houghton I'd like to offer that you exacerbate his point when you say that they certainly are more focused now on what they're offering. That's why they're going to win. As Houghton says, "Nintendo famously stepped out of the three-way console arms-race at the start of the Wii years, but now here it is, publicly booking its big guns into that fight’s biggest arena. And doing so in January, way before either of the other two have even started referencing the show’s existence." It reflects a change in attitude. Nintendo is voicing that they're going for the gusto... they're going for the games, and they're acknowledging their failure to appease in that respect in the past, and they know they need 3rd party support to deliver on that front. 3rd party support is exactly what they're going to get. It's totally cool of you to remain skeptical, I can respect that, but I certainly think YOU, BladedFalcon, of all people, can respect the kind of mettle it takes on Nintendo's part to basically come out and say that they're shaping the U into a proper GAMES console for GAMES. That's why everyone is rejoicing, after all... isn't that something we can all agree that we want? Just face it, every time some electronics show or convention like E3 comes around, games journalists and their legions of respective followers/ readers like ourselves basically while around groaning a collective "meh" until they announce the games. We groan at their media center offerings. We snarl at their connectivity suites. We howl and bark at their casual family-party waggle-fests. We yawn when they discuss statistics and specs. We scoff and snore and tap our feet impatiently when they bring on celebrities. But we drool and scream and ooh and aah and hoot and holler and woop and dance and celebrate and (some of us) ecstatically masturbate when they get to the games. That's what Nintendo is going for, far and above, and way ahead of anybody else out there. And nobody around here can really complain about that.
  • Rub3z - January 26, 2013 1:29 p.m.

What is up with the input on these comments? I put this in neat, segmented paragraphs with space in between them, and now it's just a huge chunk of text. Lame. Do I have to hit enter three times?
  • BladedFalcon - January 26, 2013 10:06 p.m.

You're certainly right in that everything is about the games, feck, that's what I base my allegiance to at any given time: The console that offers me the most and better games at any given time. And notice that I fully acknowledged that Nintendo Direct Itself was really damn good, and I myself am interested in some of those games. Thing is, as powerful as it was, these are just announcements, VERY DAMN EXCITING announcements, to be sure, but they are still mainly words backed up by short trailers and/or screens, if that. And I've been here before, I've seen Nintendo promise the moon to their fans with games, and fail to deliver completely. Don't know how many remember 1995 and 1996, where nintendo promised titles such as Dinosaur Planet, or most importantly, Robotech: Cristal Dreams Which looked AMAZING, and then it turned out it got canceled, and Dinosaur Planet was delayed, then transformed into starfox adventures for the GC, which was pretty... but not very good. See, to me, exciting as this is, they still feel like words to me, promising words, and I'd love nothing more than to see Nintendo finally step up, come back, and make a console with library grand and vast enough to compete with the SNES. And if this is the beginning of that, well fantastic. But considering they have failed to deliver on 3 consoles on a row, and the Wii U so far hasn't started too great, I'm just not ready to believe in their words yet. I'll be more than happy if they do end up delivering, and then I will be the first to shut up, admit I was wrong, and then buy the damn console. For now though, you'll excuse me if I remain wary still. That, and we've yet to see what Microsoft, Sony, And even others like Nvidia and Valve's steamboxes have to offer. The gaming landscape seems about to become much bigger and uncertain, and i feel it unwise to put all your chips in a single horse without even seeing the rest.
  • SOLAMON77 - January 25, 2013 7:29 p.m.

I completely agree! Nintendo turned on the faucet and games just poured out. The WiiU is shaping up to be exactly what I hoped it would be. Never count the Big N out as they are far more crafty than many want to give them credit for.
  • DragonLord23 - January 25, 2013 7:21 p.m.

I'm really excited to get one now. I am also excited to see how E3 shapes up now that Nintendo has revealed what will be there and Microsoft and Sony are hiding in the shadows. I hope Bayonetta gets ported to Wii U so I can play it. I just hope this is nto going to be the same way the Wii went out.
  • shawksta - January 25, 2013 7:09 p.m.

Great editorial. The Miiverse isnt just a community that was very interesting but also a great move from Nintendo to address the gamer community as you said. If Nintendo does keeps this focus up then we are looking at a bright future, an even split between first party, third party, and the audience as a whole is in the right direction.
  • Redeater - January 25, 2013 10:05 p.m.

You haven't enjoyed the Miiverse until you have visited Raving Rabbids.
  • shawksta - January 25, 2013 10:17 p.m.

Dude, i know people who bought Funky Barn, JUST for the Miiverse community, they didnt even play the game