• Samael - October 3, 2008 12:41 a.m.

You make some really good points. But there are two reasons I'm sticking with WoW for the foreseeable future. 1. All my friends are on WoW. And they're not going to just abandon their 70's and everything they've put time, effort and money into, especially with Lich King on the horizon. 2. I'm not very familiar with the Warhammer storyline, but the orcs and other races of chaos look stereotypically evil to me. I like WoW's orcs and other horde races because they break that stereotype. There not just savage and brutal cardboard cutouts like most fantasy games.
  • LONGDONGpiChong - October 2, 2008 11:31 p.m.

I was jumping with joy when it said no more grinding
  • juXawin - October 2, 2008 9:54 p.m.

maybe... I doubt wow players will up and ditch it though.
  • cruelgore - November 15, 2008 1:43 a.m.

Well strange but since Wotlk came out I haven't noticed much of a drop in Warhammer realms population maybe Wow's days at the top are numbered?
  • bfitzy271 - November 12, 2008 7:22 a.m.

WoW is for bad players, and of course WoW is balanced, they have the same classes on both factions. =X Daoc pvp > all, Warhammer is in a close second place. Hence, daoc guilds raping the S*#@ out of WoW noobs in Warhammer. <3
  • cruelgore - November 3, 2008 5:48 a.m.

Mach I have absolutely no idea about what your talking about? The game you describe isn't warhammer.
  • mach - October 28, 2008 11:46 p.m.

So far, warhammer is the worst MMO i have been in, the PVE contents are so bugged, most of them doesnt even give the proper Influence you should get. As for the PVP, most servers are imbalanced in terms of Order/ Destruction population. Taking their time to fix all these which they should have done before releasing it. The QA team for Mythic need to be fired, graphic of the game is poor, if you play wow, lotro and other mmo, you will see that this game should still stay in beta. If they dont fix this soon, people will start leaving cause the PVE content doesnt work, and with all the destruction ahead of the order in PVP, in the end, all that will remain are the destruction players. Mailing system is slow, auction house system is bugged, you cant search things through your own class/career. Sometimes I can find 6 bugs in an hour. Either way, I cancelled by subscription. Hopefully things will improve in time, if not, /shrug.. there are more MMOs around to spend my free time.
  • Avernus - October 20, 2008 2:29 p.m.

I was a WoW addict to extreme degrees. I played non stop from open beta until WAR was released. Of course, I wasn't expecting it to be all that great due to nothing living up to WoW standards in my eyes. I was so so wrong. I fell in love with WAR instantly. I love pvp so the fact that you can start a scenario (battlegrounds in wow terms) from anywhere in the WAR world, was awesome. Not only that, it pops during your questing and you can go pvp, then you are put right back where you were questing. I have no plans on going back to WoW. Every expansion blizzard releases ruins the progress you have made and the time you have put in to your gear. I don't miss going through a dungeon and hoping my one upgrade drops and all pally gear drops for 2 months. There is no stupidity like that in this game. Sorry, blizzard loses this time!
  • Khorne - October 19, 2008 3:51 p.m.

I wanted to interject with the above article. I have been playing different incarnations of warhammer for the past 20 years. i was very excited when i saw that they were making a pc version of this. however i find myself impressed by the game but over all disappointed in it. If anyone has played DoAC this is more or less the exact same game loosely based on warhammer lore. That being said i feel that if games workshop had spent more time in development thay could have blown the doors off wow. i have played for 1 month and iam half way to the lvl cap. that also meens i have explored half of all the zones thats not good. They have 20 years of content to work with and they have only dished out 5% to the game. Anyone who knows warhammer lore know what iam talking about. I Payed 50 dollars for a cheap DoAC clone to play in a shabby version of the old world. Example there are 5 factions of choas not one. The slann skaven and undead have all been left out of the game. I could go on for hours. Things that are good about the game are the PVP system and grouping. Down side is the serious lack of content. Maybe my expectation are to high i dont know. but if you play a game for content WOW is the way to go. IF you like DoAC style of gamming nased on a different lore warhammer will work just fine
  • cruelgore - October 17, 2008 9:38 p.m.

Oh one more thing those who say WAR is laggy bugged or whatever UO was featureless first day I logged on no grass no trees nothing it took 2 weeks to fix.EQ was down 7 days out of the first 10 it started.WOW wents down for 2 days then was taken off the shop shelves for 10 days 2 weeks? Then you continuely crashed, fell through the world, got stuck in doorways for about a year after that so all you little crybabies who say WAR is laggy choppy whatever, remember this its running like a dream compared to how the others started.
  • Dysan - October 16, 2008 12:44 a.m.

I made an account just to comment here. First off, local folklore and myths were the very first figures for a Fantasy setting. Tolkien took the stories of the early Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, and all the other creatures, gave them their names, and created all of Middle Earth. Tolkien inspired many others to create their own Fantasy worlds, which is what DnD and Warhammer stemmed from. Now, it's a large and mainstream genre. Orcs in WarCraft are unique in that they're shamanistic good guys who love the earth, but also love a good and honorable fight. Orcs in Warhammer are evolved from fungus; when one dies, they spread spores. They love to fight and break things, even amongst themselves. They're also INCREDIBLY ignorant and stupid, which adds so much to them. For them, painting something red makes it go faster. How? It just does! They can break physics because they're so stupid. Heck, they've got Orc-a-pults to fling themselves over castle walls. While they're badasses, they're also very humorous. They don't even know how armor works. They just slap together sheets of metal and it'll deflect bullets. The stereotype for an Orc is that they just run around killing everything and don't care for anything but killing. Both WarCraft and Warhammer Orcs are very different from that.
  • raziel6669 - October 14, 2008 9:18 p.m.

Samael, You should do a bit of research before you go putting blizzard's artistic and original abilities on a pedestal. It is a confirmed fact that WoW was a throwback to WAR, all artistic and "original" ideas are taken almost directly from WAR. Warcraft was based on WAR from the very beginning back when it was just a tabletop game. Ignorance is not blizz. See what I did thar?
  • darkrising - October 14, 2008 6:01 a.m.

well i though i might just clear this up WoW has taken the ideas from the warhammer world and made it their own, warhammer has been around for 25 years and 40k has been around for about 10 or more. There history of the warhammer world is HUGE its 25 years old of course it would, and @ the dude going on about orcs in the warhammer world orcs are the most brutal savages in game they have massive hordes to over run their enimies honestly i think the WoW orcs are nothing compared to the WAR orcs. WAR rules WoW sucks in my opion
  • Downsider - October 10, 2008 2:39 p.m.

I played WoW for about 2 years or so before i quit early this year, or was it 3? anyways... for someone to say they lost friends, failed in school, got fat and lazy is no excuse. I knew when to stop playing and did well in high school AND kept my girlfriend (now ex, but friends) and kept my friends. If you play MMO's you are not a loser, just need to know when it's time to get off. Now onto WAR! I's it better then WoW? i think so. Gameplay wise, it's a whole lot more fun. The PvP (RvR) is amazing and i love killing other players, not creatures. So the ability to rank up by killing enemy players is great. Plus the History and Lore behind Warhammer is more rich then Warcraft. Should you quit WoW for WAR? it's up to you. Do you like Warhammer? PvP? not getting worried about your gear or stuck trying to find people for a quest or instance? tired of grinding? tired of your Armour being out of date? hell... you can Dye your armour. Yeah, that's right, you can change the colour. There are so many things WAR does great that other MMO's failed. Not to mention Mythic has been on the ball updating the game constantly. WAR right now is the best Fantasy-MMO to buy. Key word (Fantasy)
  • FIRETRUCK - October 10, 2008 10:04 a.m.

I played war for about 3 weeks. Then I lost interest. The pvp is ASS bad. You do the same spells against every other class, unlike in wow where you had a tactic or a set of spells you most often used against specific other classes. And the animation is stiff and i hate the global cooldown system. It feels like I have 1 sec of delay.
  • Akiira - October 10, 2008 7:32 a.m.

@lixie read some warhammer lore or stop playing. the gender of the classes is how it should. also if warhammer fantasy follows 40k for the orc lore then orcs dont even have genders, they are actually a highly evoled plant and reproduce through spores.
  • Sinist3r - October 10, 2008 5:15 a.m.

Well as a former WoW player, I loved to PvP, I liked to PvP when I played Ultima online years and years ago, or DAoC, or Shadowbane. It's friggin' awesome running in large grps and clashing with other large groups in an all out PvP battle. Unfortunately WoW kind of got rid of the whole capital city raiding with the dishonor system which was originally meant to deter ganking and killing quest NPCs. It ultimately destroyed city raiding, and even when the honor kill/dishonor kill and cp rules were taken out, not many people went back to Raiding cities, as small combat in the arenas were more the focus. While very fun, it lacked what some people missed in some of the previous MMOs they might of played namely for me it was DAoC(another mythic title) and Shadowbane. Warhammer online will garner at least I think all those players that remember the fun of playing DAoC, especially since WAR is another mythic title. They took some of the best features from DAoC and of course added them into WAR in fresh whole new way. WoW was and still is a great game, but PvP being so gear dependent and less skill dependent, and the exorbanant amount of time it takes in being a high end raiding guild or the amount of time it takes to arena all the time to get a decent enough score, or grinding rep/dungeon gear, every aspect in WoW pretty much in some way requires a 'grind' and that is a turn off to some. We'll see how WAR handles this. For me I left both my 70s a few months ago as it was time to start a whole new adventure and WAR is a great place to start one!
  • partlycrazy - October 9, 2008 9:21 p.m.

First off, let me say my wife and I are (were) a long-time (whole time) WoW players. We loved WoW. We still think it's a great game. The cheif complaint we have with wow is everything is a grind. We hated PvP in WoW. We were PvE raiders. WAR changed our view of PvP. In fact, PvP sucks and it's a dirty word in our house. We don't PvP - we RvR.(Realm vs Realm) WoW is a highly polished game, with 4+ years of updates. WAR is a newly released game lacking 4+ years of player feedback and updates. So right off the bat it would be impossible for it to match WoW in polish. Get past that - remember when Paladins couldn't Tank? Remeber before that when the only raid was UBRS? Or complete lack of any battleground at all? To those of you interested in what all the fuss is about here's what you need to know: WAR costs about the same as WoW. WAR can be played 30 min at a time. No shit. Not like WoW claims to be. END-GAME WAR can be done in 30 min, but a major keep seige might last 2 or 3 hours. No problem. You don't even have to be there to contribute to the zone control. PvE, Scenarios, PQs, and RvR all contribute to zone control. Play how you want! WAR will give you things that you can't get in WoW. And as a matter of posterity it should be noted, that WotLK features that mirror WAR were ideas copied from WAR, not the other way around. (Guild calendars, Acheivements etc) And WoW did not execute these ideas as extensively either. WAR gives you a guild that you can take personal pride in the advancement thereof. You contribute to your guild leveling up. Your guild levels up, you gain extra benifits guildwide. Guilds can capture a RvR keep in their name. This costs money to maintain, but earn the guild renown (exp for guilds) and gives you notariety on the server. You can capture your enemies guild banner, and display it as a trophy of war upon the side of a RvR keep your guild owns. How loud can you yell PwNd. Seige equipment. WoW is not lame, and they are borrowing this concept in WotLK. It will be a play-pen version of RvR in WAR, but you will get it in both games. These cost money, and consiquently add cost to seige warfare, especially if you are unsuccessful. Standards. Think "tabbard" expect put a mideival spin on it. It's your guild banner carried by a guild member conveying bonuses to your team on the field of battle. Plant it in a keep to claim it and defenders of that keep will get the bonuses as long as you hold it. These cost money too, being awesome isnt free. Speaking of all these costs to the guild, you can setup a tax that automaticly takes a % of money from each member whenever they loot money in game. This does not take the tax when the money comes from trade, mail, auctions etc - just loot. Want to contribute more? Tithes allow players to set additional taxes upon themselves on an individual basis. Ever had your guild screwed up by a merger, but needed it to have numbers for a raid? Maybe idealogical differences caused division. Well in WAR you can form an alliance, and retain your guilds individualality, and own way of doing things. This is formally supported. You share an alliance calendar, alliance chat, alliance officer chat etc. Groups were never so easy to form. You can wear your guild colors on your cloak, and dye your gear to make your guild standout in uniform in battle. "OH S**T Its those Orange and Blue guys again!" Do you like canned PvP like the battlegrounds? WAR gives you a plethora of choices here. Let me give you a *FEW* differnt objectives avaialable in WAR: *Capture the flag - standard CTF. *Smear the Carrier - Theres a magic "ball" in the middle. Whichever team's player holds the ball gets points for their team. Drop it and the other team gets bonus points. The longer you hold it the more damage it does to the bearer.... it must be dropped eventually.... good luck *Murder Ball - Magic ball, the carrier of which gets considerably more points for kills made against the enimy. Good luck holding onto it. *Bomb maps - think counterstrike. Bomb in the middle, teams fight for who is carrying the bomb, but once they secure it, need to then carry it and successfully plant it at the enemies bomb site in order to score. * Control - Multiple control points, more forcers make each point capture faster. More control points held increases score faster. * King of the Hill - One objective to hold. Score as you hold it. Or try out the "real" battlefield, and take keeps. Take enough territory, and take your opponents capitol city away. Explore epic PvE in their capitol cities. Public quests. Some people complain about these being too hard solo. I say re-read the name and delete your stupid post. PUBLIC does not just mean anyone can do it - otherwise all quests would be "public". Public in this case means anyone can participate, numbers required. Wrath of the GRIND King is more of the same FTL.
  • Killer-Skunk - October 9, 2008 9:02 p.m.

(WotLK SELLING POINTS) Transform your hero's look with new character-customization options, including new hairstyles and dances. (/SILLY) Explore perilous new dungeons filled with some of the deadliest creatures -- and greatest treasures -- on Azeroth (I WOULD HOPE) Its funny when NEW HAIR CUTS are a big selling point for WotLK (cuz I like my helmet) and I dont even see a point for /dance..... this is comming for a guy about to dump WoW once WoLK comes out its going be the TOA of WoW (/delte) so good by Twin Blades and hello CHOPPA Sorry to but it was a fun ride.... FYI Make up your mind on the level Cap. I hate leveling its not fun.
  • Slytail - October 9, 2008 3:49 p.m.

I'd be quicker to try WAR if there was MacOS support