Topics

zombies

• Edias - October 29, 2012 2:41 p.m.

Hello; my name is Edias and I am addicted to zombies. I can't seem to get enough of them and I spend an absurd amount of money on zombie related entertainment. I am afraid that I may have a problem; or that, at the very least, I may be adding to the one we face. All your zombies will soon belong to me.
  • AuthorityFigure - October 29, 2012 2:26 a.m.

I think they're popular because they allow guilt-free violence. If we slaughter civilians, we have to consider that they are individuals - if we slaughter zombies, we only have to consider that they're people-shaped monsters, and there's no hesitation in inflicting harm. It's got nothing to do with them being scary (because they certainly aren't anymore).
  • ohms - October 29, 2012 11:45 p.m.

Then I think Nazi and Alien also fit into this category, because, no one seem to feel guilty slaughtering them (heck, they even have Nazi Zombie in CoD).
  • theintellectual - October 29, 2012 2:04 a.m.

Like most articles that attempt to analyze the phenomena of zombie popularity, I think this one is effectively spinning it's wheels in the mud. Zombies will continually remain material for video games and movies for the very simple reason that unlike other famous monsters, they're still SCARY despite the test of time. There's a simple unnatural-ness about them that staggers right into the uncanny valley; they look like people, only they're totally unlike people. They're totally devoid of life, intelligence, and reason despite closely resembling something that should by all rights possess all three. The idea of getting ripped apart and eaten alive by a creature that physically resembles a normal person in all ways but mannerism is simply scarier on a baser level then the wider implications of consumer culture or whatever pseudo-sophisticated nonsense you want to talk about. Or some such bullshit.
  • AuthorityFigure - October 29, 2012 2:29 a.m.

They're not scary anymore, they're comedic. They've been delegated to guiltless, slapstick-like violence.
  • theintellectual - October 29, 2012 5:18 a.m.

Guiltless? As opposed to what? Nobody feels guilty about mowing down thousands of Russians/Terrorists/Nazis/Drug Dealers/Civilians in any given given shooter, and it isn't like any of those aren't common targets of cavalier slapstick violence.
  • Thedigitalg - October 29, 2012 1:20 p.m.

Didn't you get the memo? Zombies haven't been scary since the 80s.
  • Aarononymous - October 28, 2012 9:22 p.m.

This all easily could have been copy/pasted from an article on Cracked from 2 years ago. Analyzing the zombie phenomenon is almost as old as the zombie phenomenon itself.
  • Sy87 - October 28, 2012 7:59 p.m.

I have to agree with some of the others, a good zombie game hasn't really been made aside from Day Z. I don't think gamers got their fill of zombie games because when we pick a supposed zombie game we instantly judge something about it. RE screwed the thought in my mind and when they get close they have to add random stuff to the good part to weight it down. COD zombies is fun but just not zombies for most and to small a setting. L4D is fun too its just I don't find 28 days rage zombies the ones I want to fight, plus not enough survival. Day Z is by far turning out to be the best zombie game so far. Though everyone has their own interpretations while some are stupid, namely those thousands of zombie movies including the so called talking zombies. I say the visual medium is over saturated. Games we still hold out for that one great game. Dam I went on a rant again.
  • nintendo365 - October 28, 2012 11:07 p.m.

didi you REALLY just say that L4D didnt have enough survival? I dont know what fucking L4D youre playing, but when its on hardcore or Realisim modes theres too much survival. Its basically choose the 2 best shooters and everyone else has to scavenge for them. If that game isnt survivalist as fuck- I dont know what is.
  • chris-dibella - October 28, 2012 5:11 p.m.

True, but at the same time redeater, they have to be coded so they don't walk into walls forever or something.
  • Redeater - October 28, 2012 7:46 p.m.

Not true! Look at the "zombies" in Goldeneye 64. :)
  • t_skwerl - October 28, 2012 5:08 p.m.

I don't think there is an oversaturation of zombie games. Never have. In fact, I believe there's a dearth of zombie games. Aside from the most popular ones (The Walking Dead, Resident Evil, Left for Dead, Dead Rising, House of the Dead, maybe Lollipop Chainsaw). The others are cute (Plants vs Zombies) add-ons ( Call of Duty, Red Dead Redemption), or just plain suck. I'm just saying you can count the good ones on both hands. Bring me more zombie games. I'll be over here sharpening my machete.
  • elsnichkum - October 28, 2012 4:53 p.m.

But redeater, they already have enemy cucumbers! Dragon Quest IX has cruelcumbers!
  • Scuffles - October 28, 2012 4:01 p.m.

Or that game developers can slather in a bunch more gore and violence and get away with it because "its not people its teh zombeiz". Zombies are that ethical grey area.
  • Fitter89 - October 28, 2012 1:33 p.m.

I can't quit zombies because I'm waiting for that perfect zombie game. In our minds we all know what the perfect zombie game will be, It's just that nobody will make it!
  • GamingBear - October 28, 2012 2:14 p.m.

If you are on the same wavelength for me, and for you welfare I hope you are not, then the zombie game I want realised is a fully scoped, fleshed out, realistic experience. Not one where you go about murdering everything in sight but more survive.
  • Eo1spy - October 28, 2012 2:26 p.m.

DayZ might fit the bill for you.
  • Person5 - October 28, 2012 4:31 p.m.

Except if it was truly realistic the zombies would be slow, I'd look forward to a DayZ with twice as many zombies but with an extremely reduced speed.