• Red - September 11, 2009 5:06 p.m.

The Dreamcast also had Toy Commander, let's not forget.
  • super0sonic - September 13, 2009 5:52 a.m.

My Dreamcast is still hooked up to my Tv.
  • Xeacons - September 14, 2009 4:22 p.m.

Yeah, the DC was really last gen (PS2/Xbox era), above and beyond N64/PS1. Sega just gave up too early.
  • erix99 - September 16, 2009 12:52 p.m.

Sega DC tried their best to create a great game console but it was just not good enough when comparing the Playstation2 when it released. I think the reason was simple, Sega stopped to care about DC, I believed that if Sega could they can create a DC 2 or 3 like Playstation did. However they didnt, the game that Sega DC had was unique and very fun indeed. I got one of those and I still love it. However the PS3 is much better now. I think DC picked the wrong time to release and PS3 picked right time.
  • Cyberninja - September 9, 2009 8:55 p.m.

i am so glad to used have a dreamcast even though it was bros
  • Cyberninja - September 9, 2009 8:56 p.m.

i meant: even though it was my bros
  • bamb0o-stick - September 9, 2009 9:07 p.m.

I remember I wanted to get a Dreamcast myself. I still remember that great ad slogan "It's thinking." I just can't get over how fast that console died. Its like Sega put a pillow over the DC's face and smothered it.
  • Johnny6Gun - September 9, 2009 10:52 p.m.

I still have my maracas and I still wish I could type better than G did, but I'll be damned if I can't say that the DC was something special. From failing to get Chu Chu Rocket working online, to getting my char up to 100 in PSO with friends over that blazing 56k modem, the DC screamed fun at every opportunity. Sure, the controller kinda sucked for the Capcom fighters, but they were such perfect ports that it hardly mattered. As Jet Grind Radio was the last game I ever received as a gift from my parents and Seaman almost busted a cheating friend to his girlfriend while she was in the room, I can only say that the Dreamcast gave me grander memories than any console since. Segata Sanshiro died for this console and I almost like to think that I would do the same.
  • cronoman66 - September 9, 2009 11:07 p.m.

In reference to the dead rockstar syndrome... Does this mean we'll see a Dreamcast prancing around and rapping in Guitar Hero 6?
  • Soggybrain - September 9, 2009 11:29 p.m.

Me and my brother loved our dreamcast we got it cuz we just couldnt wait for the ps2 ta come out but it was one of the best systems. We played house of the dead 2 n power stone all day cant wait till the new game comes out im gana need to add it to my crate of dc games
  • Pyroco101 - September 9, 2009 11:56 p.m.

man, they schold have put up the video of that dreamcast "turduken." man that thing was a beast
  • gmilf71 - September 9, 2009 11:59 p.m.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT THE DREAMCAST!! WHY ARE THERE SO MANY ARTICLES ABOUT IT??!!??!! Respetfully, Gmilf71.
  • boxcar44 - September 10, 2009 12:26 a.m.

i remember buying my dreamcast...i only bought it because the PS2 was sold out everywhere after i bought it like 2-3 weeks later or something they announced dreamcast was be discontinued
  • Ensoul - September 10, 2009 2:47 a.m.

Of all the systems that I never picked up Dreamcast remains the biggest regret. Never had a Sega system, but I had decided to pick up a Genisis one day if I could find one at the local flea market. I ended up with a used Dreamcast and a copy of Shenmue and Dead or Alive 2 very, very late in it's "life" for under $100. It didn't take long before I was picking up anything and everything related to DC and at clearance prices too. I felt like a bit of a vulture. :-/ It sucked that I was never that much of a contributer to the PSO party (Lvl 10 while my friends were MUCH higher) but it was still fun, as was Unreal and Quak III, all via dail up no less. (NFL 2K1 was too choppy though) Then I discovered the homebrew side of things; whole games and emulators, I was amazed at what was being done. The common opinon amoung most of my friends is divided. Some say the DC was the system no one knew they loved. Others think it's so beloved now is the afor-mentioned "Dead Rock Star Syndrome" and feel it's kinda over-rated now. As a late joiner I lean towards the former. Thanks GR for doing this look back.
  • reyalejandro13 - September 10, 2009 3:04 a.m.

Sad Face: Being young, I grew up watching TV First. And what was on TV in the 90's: Pokemon. So what was the game I got first: Pokemon. So what system did I get? N64. So what did I completely miss out on? Dreamcast, and all of its glory. In all seriousness (maybe it's because I was 6 in 1999), I only played Pokemon for the longest time. So I never knew about the greatness of Mario and Sonic until i got a Gamecube. Now I need to get a DC (or at least an Emulator, but that might be confusing) to play these great games, like NiGHTS, Jet Grind Radio, and SA2. oh well.
  • brodyhill - September 10, 2009 3:46 a.m.

http://techphules.blogspot.com/2009/09/latest-dreamcast-game-launch.html Someone is actually launching a NEW dreamcast game this month... amazing?
  • ScoobyDoo - September 10, 2009 7:28 a.m.

Ok nobody else has said it so I will. Yea the DC was ahead of its time in the technology sense. But the reason why it was great(and bad) was because it had hardly any PIRACY protection! I remember *i would have a friend* who would come home from school and have 5-6 full games downloaded and ready for burn. Hell as the scene grew they even found a way to include the boot disc into the game's ISO, no longer requiring a swap after booting from the boot disc. So long story short this *friend* of mine had a 64-cd case-logic case with 50+ "back-up" copied games and we would play the best.. all the hits and even some games that you would never buy all because of the downloadable-exploited security factor of just getting it off the net. My *friend* recently found his cd case with all the games. Sonic Adventure, Virtua Tennis, Virtua Cop, NHL2k, RE: Code Veronica, Mortal Kombat 3, Daytona USA, and Hydro Thunder just to name a few.. matter of fact the only game my *friend* actually purchased was SF Rush 2049 because it was NOWHERE to be found online. this was great for the 2 years it was active.. but it slowly died with the console. Sales plundered most likely because before you knew it, everyone had taken advantage of the security exploits. Sega nailed there coffin shut as far as being a console contender with this problem IMO. too bad because the Genesis kicked the SNES's ass, and the DC was way better then the PS1. Poor Sega. The DC was my favorite console ever though. I still have my DC in the garage somewhere. - I hope...
  • rxb - September 10, 2009 12:50 p.m.

Outtrigger what a blast from the past.... The Dreamcast really was a gamers console. BTW remember that JSR concept art a while back? Oi smilebit where is my new game?
  • Styrophoamicus - September 10, 2009 7 p.m.

I only ever rented a Dreamcast from our local game store, Gamer's Edge. It came in this wicked metal suitcase you see in the movies and the foam padding inside was custom cut for the system. I only remember playing Sonic Adventure and Soul Calibur with my dad but we had a lot of f un with it. I was a total Nintendo junkie tho, so I refused to buy anything not made by Nintendo, a decision the Wii made me wholeheartedly regret.
  • Pocotron - September 10, 2009 10:38 p.m.

So does this mean we'll have a 10 year anniversary for the PS2 soon?