• xarab4lyfex - February 15, 2012 9:08 p.m.

While PC gaming is more advanced and becoming better than console gaming, it's just so damn expensive. Not everyone has a thousand dollars to spend on a gaming pc. I'd rather just pick up an xbox or a ps3 for $400 which is much cheaper. So what the games aren't as pretty. I think the idea of graphics are a little overrated anyway. I don't wanna spend hundreds of dollars every year just to upgrade my pc, just so I can actually play them/look prettier. Plus that would just totally erase going over a friends house and playing some games with them, even though it's a dying breed, is still not cool. Plus, while the pc does have unique exclusives, I'd still prefer the exclusives on the consoles/mobile consoles like uncharted, gears, resident evil, pokemon, Okami and other stuff. Plus I doubt we'll ever see any Mario or Zelda game on anything other than a nintendo console and I doubt I can without those games.
  • aaron-pan - February 15, 2012 9:55 p.m.

For about $500ish you can get a decent video card to go with your computer to run all the current games decently. Not only that but the PC can be hooked up to your TV and also be used for anything else you want like surfing the internet, watching movies, or what have you. People forget that theres a lot of games that are blockbusters being ported to the PC, and therefore PC games have been hindered by the consoles themselves in terms of graphics despite still being better. Right now it is cheaper than EVER to get a gaming rig.
  • xarab4lyfex - February 15, 2012 11:12 p.m.

Yea and that's why I've contemplated switching to pc gaming. And if this was a few years ago I might have done it. But now im in college, on a college budget, so yea =/. I don't have time to deal with a pc and downloading and steam. Even if it's easy and considerably cheaper, it'll never be simpler than just buying a game, putting it in the tray and start playing on a console.
  • DukeNukeThem - February 16, 2012 1:17 a.m.

To buy a gaming PC here in the UK it costs about £1500-£2000, thats about $2500-$3000. It may be cheaper than ever but still way out of my price range.
  • Jcookie11 - February 16, 2012 2:23 a.m.

I've always thought this too, but i looked into it a bit further and you can get a really decent P,C if you're willing to put some time in, to build it yourself. If you build it yourself you can cut out the crap that some PC makers include such as unnecessarily flashy cases. it makes the whole thing a lot cheaper; you can get a normally £800 PC for about £250. its also surprisingly easily to put it all together, as i'm sure you know, there are loads of videos on the internet and guides to help you.
  • AFilthyIbis - February 16, 2012 5:08 a.m.

To tired to formulate proper response. Main points are as follows. -Sure are a lot of pro pc responses. -People don't factor in the fact that while a pc may be more expensive than a console, it is also a pc. Which most households consider essential anyway (to allow people to use MS word + facebook). -Also getting a pc is significantly cheaper if you utilise the parts you already have. Do you need a new monitor, mouse keyboard and speakers? If you don't mind getting your hands dirty you can recycle a lot of the inner pieces too. Not to mention the case and the power supply. -Computers don't fall apart because you don't feed them hundreds every year. I'm playing Skyrim on a computer I paid $800 for two years ago. It might not look destroy the console version in looks but it's stable and pretty enough on the "high" setting. tldr. You will have a computer regardless of weather you play games on it, by choosing console gaming because "it's cheaper", you are opting to pay for both, an Xbox and a pc (which is not cheaper). Chances are, you already have a pc. It may not be able to run Crysis or The Witcher II maxed out, but it is (very likely) more than enough to suckle on the pc's glorious range of indie games. Wow, that was longer and stupider than it was supposed to be. reCaptcha "idogyo pestilence"
  • aaron-pan - February 16, 2012 2:31 a.m.

Don't buy! Build! Get a friend or something and make it yourself! Its daunting but once you do it once, you will realize its so simple! Trust me on this...i will never buy one again.
  • AxiamWolfe - February 16, 2012 4:36 a.m.

Definitely agree! Buy the parts you need individually, as it can be quite a bit cheaper than a prebuilt set. Also consider reusing some usable parts from your old PC such as HDDs and Disk Drives, maybe even RAM and other auxiliary parts. For the actual building, it helps knowing what each connector does. Usually following the manuals that comes with the components is sufficient for putting it together so not to worry.
  • AFilthyIbis - February 16, 2012 5:19 a.m.

It helps that most of the plugs and stuff can only go into the holes they are supposed to.
  • DukeNukeThem - February 16, 2012 6:59 a.m.

Thanks for the heads up guys, my prices mainly came from building a PC on OverClockers (who i thought were cheap) but looking into it i could build a great rig cheaper. My current PC is like 6 years old, but i have a brand new laptop for Word, facebook, internet etc. Mostly play older games on my laptop like Diablo 2, Jagged Alliance 2 and C&C generals, games that will never exist on console.
  • frogofspac - February 16, 2012 11:10 a.m.

you do realize you can get a gaming system for under £700 right? It will also play most games on full settings so unless you're going hardcore or being stupid and buying alienware then you only need to spend about £700
  • Megazell - February 16, 2012 4:57 p.m.

If you do some searching you find people that built rigs for way under $400. I build a new computer ever 4 to 5 years. I usually either re-purpose my older rigs (HTPC or Media Storage) or donate them to charity (with some sweet tax benefits if the placed they are donated are supported by the IRS list). To this day from 1998 to now I have yet to go over $400. If you ever need a hand building a rig shoot me a PM. As for the upgrading every year...I doubt many still do this. It's been awhile since a game came out that FORCED people to upgrade. Most games are running on engines that have a solid market share. Even games like Skyrim run great on cards from 2 to 3 years back with no problem.
  • GageCornelius - February 26, 2012 8:30 p.m.

Unless Windows 8 releases anytime soon, and even if it does release next month with DirectX12, I think you'd be pretty safe. There are a couple moments where every few years a new technology emerges. DirectX10, DDR3 Ram, DirectX11, Solid State Drives, etc. Look around. I built my rig for 800, but that's a heavy gaming rig with wiggle room for expansion. (Six-core AMD processor, 8BG DDR3 Ram, 2GB DDR5 Geforce 550GTX, 1TB Hard Drive (And I had another 1TB HDD drive sitting around)) This is my rig. What could be left to upgrade? I could put another video card for double the graphic-dedicated power via SLi, and 3 more 8GB DDR3 Ram sticks for $400. You can easily get a barebones kit with a six-core processor, 8GB ram, 1TB Hard Drive for less than $500. Just add a Video Card to the bundle and still remain under $500, and you'll be set. This will be a more than decent build, but usually lock you out for upgrading/expansion. It's about being smart, knowing which direction you want to go, and do it. Here, I'll do you the shopping: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1143901&Sku=B69-1358 Here we have a barebone kit that is amazing. 1TB Hard drive, 8GB DDR3 Ram, AMD Phenom II Quad Core Processor, with 450 Watts. http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6680894&CatId=3669 Next we have a Video Card that requires 400 Watts of power (Easily met), and... will you look at that, 1GB GDDR5 and DirectX 11. So... it's not the newest hardware, but it gives you 1GB of the latest graphical memory, and runs on the latest capable version of DirectX. I know friends with 2x 2GB graphic cards connected via SLi, but that's not within your budget. You have a total of 9GB of memory (1 dedicated to graphics, 8 for the rest), so... if you really wanted, swap your hard drive and put it in this beast economy pc so you didn't have to buy an OS, or if you have your setup disc, use it on this new one, maybe keep the old one as a secondary drive? But it can be done. Oh, and the total (You get a max of 2 rebates, one on the barebone kit, the other on the video card, each $40, totaling to $80 in rebates) $439.98 ($359.98 after rebates) Want to cut down on price? Here's a different video card to look at: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=306254&sku=G458-0520 This takes it to $394.98 paid upfront, and you still get $60 back in rebates, if you decide to mail the receipts in for it, that is. So that will bring it down to: $334.98 after rebates. (You may have to pay more on taxes, depending on the state you live in, but hey - - I gave you a super economy computer)
  • Craza - February 15, 2012 8:24 p.m.

Hell, I've already switched to near-full PC gaming. Xbox just doesn't cut it for me anymore. There are a couple games I would like to get (Assassin's Creed franchise, for example) but not much is calling me to it these days, ESPECIALLY if it's also available on PC. Half of it is because I'm always on the PC, mostly due to the fact I have a long-distance relationship with my fiance and we are constantly talking to each other on the computer with Skype, MSN, Steam, etc. The other half is because PC games are more accessible, generally cheaper, and you can use a 360 controller on many games. I mean, I can download games from Steam for a good price, I don't have to go to a shop and get overcharged for a game, it's easier and usually quicker to get patches, there are mods for most games (Skyrim would have been a living hell without a few things I've added), and a lot of my favorite genres/games are available only on PC (Namely MMOs). Unless it's a game that is only for 360, isn't released for PC, has superior controls on a console, or can't run on my laptop, I will look for a PC copy, or pass it up altogether.
  • veekay - February 16, 2012 3:50 a.m.

Just a heads up - the "Assassin's Creed" games are already available on the PC! And contrary to other recent console-to-PC ports (such as the messed up "Batman: Arkham City" and "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim"), the "Assassin's Creed: Revelations" plays perfectly on my 1-year old Dell XPS 15 laptop! And I agree, the fact that PC games can be modded is a boon , not only for fixing the issues (that the greedy game studios should have fixed before launch), but also for endless replayability and customizations (which is why the Elder Scrolls and Borderlands games are so popular). Unless anyone is wanting to play the very latest games at highest settings, it is not necessary to go for a high-end gaming PC, even a medium-config rig or a beefy laptop/notebook would do. Remember, last year's top games are still good fun, and will run well on this year mid-range graphics cards and processors! Casual games with low requirements like Trine 2 and Torchlight can be played even on netbooks (which means long journeys become quite fun, even without a 3Ds, PSP or Vita)!
  • firelegendmush - February 15, 2012 7:11 p.m.

Personally I prefer consoles for better local multilayer functionality, though that is quickly becoming less common. Besides that, I can't think of any reason to defend consoles.
  • OddWoN ER - February 15, 2012 6:54 p.m.

some great points. but console gaming, while totally with downsides is much more convenient. to be honest i like sequels on incredible fun/interesting, well polished games. but sequels doesnt mean i want it to be infinite or yearly. and i do miss having more low cost indie/arcade games.. but many just are well polished enough or have to high of a price tag (although that could be blamed on MS or whomever) sure I'd go to PC if it was cheaper to stay up to date with hardware standards...
  • Ravenbom - February 15, 2012 5:50 p.m.

Well since my last gaming rig took a shit on me, I'm looking to build a new one. People complain, but a decent rig can be built for a decent price as long as you're not out in the middle of nowhere, getting gouged on shipping. I think I might end up going Nintendo/PC by the time I get the wherewithal to be able to build a new PC.
  • jedisamurai - February 15, 2012 4:40 p.m.

What a fascinating discussion! I find the things discussed in the article very interesting, and really I think that creativity comes and goes in cycles. Before Steam and GOG, things on the PC were looking VERY bad indeed. But since those are so much better than the console equivalent...things many indeed tilt in the other direction. That won't stop some nasty DRM and companies thinking of PC gaming as an afterthought because of all the piracy (if you REALLY care about PC gaming, PAY FOR THE GAME). As to one console vs another...it's like Mac vs PC. There is no RIGHT choice, just DIFFERENT choices. And choice is a good thing right? I bought my PC a few years ago, upgraded the graphics card, the hard drive, the OS, and it's slower than molasses on a cold day and buggier than a bait shop (after multiple reinstalls and removal of software to the point where LITERALLY the only thing on it is the OS, MS Office, Firefox and IE, and a TON of games). Beginning of next year I plan to get a new PC for gaming and general use. Expected price? 1200.00 That hasn't chanced from 10 years ago. Every 3 or 4 years you need a brand new rig unless you bought a 3,000.00 machine. That's just the way it is (it's not my graphics card, it's the WHOLE machine that's just too archaic after a few years, as proved by a graphics card upgrade for around $200.00 that BARELY increased performance). Since the days of PS2 and Xbox my consoles have ALWAYS had more power than my PC. That's just the way it is (I am not rich). I love consoles. ALL consoles. I have a Sega Saturn and a Dreamcast I still play regularly along with my PS2, PS3, Wii, Xbox, 360, and Genesis. I own literally hundreds of console games, and hundreds of PC games. I appreciate their different styles. The worst thing about PC gaming is that in general, it simply does not have anything I want to play unless I look to the 90's (the golden age). That said, some of my all-time favorite games were for PC (Descent Freespace, Wing Commander, and my favorite game of all time Alpha Centauri). And with a new Xcom game coming...I'm cautiously optimistic. As for PC indie games...one word. Iji. That's the best freeware game ever made and the best indie game ever made. And it's PC only. Reason enough to keep a PC till my dying day. I'm not a fan of most triple A games on PC or on consoles, but between indie and triple A lies the golden sunset of well made original games. They are almost all abysmal flops financially but I don't care. I own them, play them, and love them. And they exist for EVERY system. Panzer Dragoon Orta on Xbox, The Red Star on PS2, Enslaved for 360. And on and on. If you want more games like the ones you like....buy the ones you like! Peace Out
  • veekay - February 16, 2012 4:17 a.m.

Thanks for pointing me towards Iji. It looks awesome, and it's free!! Trine2, Torchlight and other recent indie games are making gaming quite fun, pleasant and truly value-for-money.
  • frogofspac - February 15, 2012 4:11 p.m.

Just thought I would contribute. Had an Xbox 360 played it for two years and relatively enjoyed it. Xbox went down the shitter by signing all the multimedia contracts with Netflix etc. and now its more entertainment then gaming (PS3 going the same way) Bought parts for my old PC upgraded for £200 got a nice shiny GTX 560ti graphics card, can play near enough any game full graphics with at least 30 fps! Looks gorgeous and i haven't played Xbox since. People complain about PCs being expensive but if you weigh out that an Xbox is £200 the controllers are £30 and the other periferals and Gold membership rack up to about £50 per year (because the mics break etc.) and the games are all £40 when new. I got a brilliant PC with gaming headset, keyboard and mouse for just over £700 and games are only about £25 Brand new then after about two years they level out then after that the PC is cheaper. Now consider each gen of consoles last about 5 years then you work out that you save a lot more with PC. Also PC community are so much more mature and kinder then all the knobs on mainstream console games, period. Oh just to finish PC has a better gameplay, it has mods, it has awesome indie games, better graphics, less dumb people and most of all no 5 year old gob shites
  • Spiderman - February 18, 2012 6:23 p.m.

Most of that is a fine argument, but I don't believe that PC gamer's are any more pleasant to play with. They might not be the kind of player who racistly berates anyone and everyone via their headset, but I've found that their brand of elitism and hardcore mentality is just as offputting. I'm sick of being booted from games because I'm not good enough, or having my opponent rage quit when I get the upper hand. Most gamers have good behaviour, but theirs asshole's on every system (And I can mute the one's who just yell at me)
  • essiy - February 15, 2012 4 p.m.

Well, to be honest, lately I've taken a liking to PC gaming, and don't get me wrong, I love indie games like minecraft (Though it no longer wants to co-operate on my pc), and I plan to get a better PC than my laptop, I don't think it will be a PC gaming generation. What it mostly comes down to is price, not only for me, a 19 year old saving for college, but even for most gamers with more in their pockets. To be honest, I'm a complete moron when it comes to the technical side of using or making a gaming rig. Though I agree with your arguements, again, it just comes down to cost. Anyway, great article.
  • Money - February 15, 2012 3:41 p.m.

Rising percentages of games being pirated, great games having shoddy PC controls and the fact not everyone like pretentious indie games so far there ass it hurts. Please god don't let this be a PC generation
  • Y2Ken - February 15, 2012 2:58 p.m.

Nice article Dave, and it's come at a good time. 2011 was really the year in which a lot of multiplatform releases were "best on PC" since the start of this console generation. And the wide and easy support for the 360 controller on PC, as well as backdoor methods for using others such as the Dualshock 3, means that even games which don't suit the mouse and keyboard as well can be played comfortably on a PC to take advantage of the hardware. I got my first owned PC a little over 3 years ago when I left to go to University, only a cheap one and it works but I don't game that much on it compared to consoles. But at the start of this year I made a resolution that I would build my own gaming PC by the summer at the latest - with my current aim being to do it in the Easter break. I'll still be doing my fair share of console gaming, particularly for local multiplayer, but I'm looking forward to becoming more integrated in the (actually, for the most part, incredibly friendly and just out to have fun) PC gaming community.