• StrayGator - July 23, 2013 3:03 a.m.

funny that you mention doom's infighting as an example of how things used to be better, as it was born of a simplistic design: 1. identify the belligerent 2. charge and then they keep at it, because there's no "oops, my bad" in demon. now, bashing "modern shooters" for plain AI is almost like bashing them for being modern shooters. the oldschool ballet of destruction isn't on the agenda in those. just make your way through points A -> B -> C, shoot at some pop-up cardboard targets, explosion, cutscene, credits, multiplayer. seriously, the first time I played MW4 single player i had flashbacks to operation wolf. now try to criticize the AI in serious sam. meanwhile, most of the, "opener"? shooters (halos, bioshocks, borderlandses. hobbitses) still make you think on your legs to find the way around enemies that take more than 1.7 bullets to take down. a bad example would be far cry/crysis. where the enemies are relatively overpowered (and can shoot anrealistically accurately) but otherwise no smarter than the aforementioned cardboard cutouts. my point? different AIs for different shooters. it's not modern AI that's shit, it's modern military shooters SP campaigns that are shit.
  • CitizenWolfie - July 23, 2013 4:02 a.m.

I've NEVER had unrealistic combat in Farcry 3. Enemies feel like they have the same amount of strength as I do (without being Big Daddy ammo sponges) and there's been many times when I've had to dash from cover to cover with bullets whoosing past my ears (I usually play with headphones). And not only that but they will split up and try to flank me if I've been hiding in the same spot too long in a firefight.
  • rodger-walker - July 23, 2013 7:25 p.m.

i find Crysis enemies WAAAY too overpowered, 31 bullets to the chest and still kicking? yeah right...
  • Talvari - July 23, 2013 2:49 a.m.

Completely agree with this article. xD
  • CUFCfan616 - July 23, 2013 2:03 a.m.

Some of the best ai I've seen? The TF2 training bots
  • Mr.YumYums - July 24, 2013 5:56 a.m.

This right here. I shit you not, the first time I played in offline practice mode I thought I was playing online with people.. Or at least it had me questioning it for a good 20 minutes. Those things are unbelievable, how much they replicate player habits, movement and mannerisms. And the names are hilarious. Damn it Valve is almost God-like.
  • brickman409 - July 22, 2013 8:32 p.m.

FPS games don't have great AI anymore, because the most challenge you can get in a FPS game is by playing multiplayer. No matter how smart an AI is, it will never be more fun and challenging than playing against an actual human being. FPS campaigns only have over the top explosions, because that's the only thing they have to offer anymore. If COD campaigns had great AI, most COD fans would play it, think its neat, then move on to the online mode after they get bored of the first or second level.
  • ObliqueZombie - July 22, 2013 8:16 p.m.

Great article, as always. I'll have to check out FEAR 1 and Half-Life (yes, I DID miss out on that), because you're the third jarnlist to mention how great those games are.
  • bebl09 - July 23, 2013 4:28 p.m.

FEAR is an awesome game, still holds up today in both gameplay and graphics (just about, if you have a PC that can play it on high, which won't be too difficult now as it's like 6-7 years old). Prepare to be scared though, some of the horror segments are terrifying haha.
  • ParagonT - July 22, 2013 5:36 p.m.

Dynamic personalities is my biggest hope for AI. Is it just a grunt E-3 doing his rounds? His personality should reflect his inexperience, cockiness, fear, or so on. Not by making his gun bent to shit and saying "He's not a good shot because he's not an officer or high ranking". It's more about how the antagonists interact and reach with their environment and how they use it that makes it "that one guy". Everyone on here should know about that "one guy" AI by playing almost any game. The one enemy AI who's movements are so out of the blue and out of the norm from the rest, that it throws you for a loop just trying to shoot the dang guy because he's so awkward.
  • tehtimeisnow - July 22, 2013 5:22 p.m.

ai? thats stuped cuz single player ganes r garbege and soon they wont even exist. and waht we raelly need is beter grafics cuz the current gen grafics r showing there age and they make me sick 2 look at them now so we need 2 focus on just grafics
  • CitizenWolfie - July 23, 2013 5:06 a.m.

*AI *That's *stupid *because *games *are *garbage *And *what *really *better *graphics *because *graphics *are *their *to *to *graphics. Your speech skill is not high enough to begin this quest my friend.
  • Rhymenocerous - July 23, 2013 10:16 a.m.

tehtimeisnow: Funny stuff - keep up the good work.
  • ljrivarola - July 23, 2013 2:58 p.m.

I've already told you: try speaking English. Maybe then you can be a troll, not before.
  • winner2 - July 23, 2013 7:46 p.m.

You're my hero.
  • GoldenEagle1476 - July 22, 2013 4:39 p.m.

Great article. Poor ai is probably the main reason I have "shooter fatigue," since like you said, it leads to stagnant, repetitive games. Rage probably has the best AI I've seen in a game in recent years; too bad it wasn' t that popular.
  • sevengenewolves - July 22, 2013 4:04 p.m.

You make a good point, but I have to believe that the huge growth in online play is a contributing factor. Nowadays, the single player component is almost a bonus in a lot of the first person shooters you're describing and at this point AI can't compete with the challenge and adaptability of a quality human opponent. Also, until we have completely destructible environments being rendered in real time, it'll be pretty difficult for a game to compete with the wow factor that scripted scenes have to offer. I do agree, though, that these things shouldn't be mutually exclusive. I imagine it's an issue of resources and consumer demand. You only have so much human capital to distribute while developing a game and if buyers keep voting with their dollars for good enough, good enough is what they'll continue to get.
  • DLow - July 22, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Dynamic AI and maps are my biggest hope for next gen.
  • GunsForShow - July 22, 2013 4:02 p.m.

Interesting read as always. Cheers Hooters :)
  • Mr.YumYums - July 22, 2013 3:46 p.m.

Everything moved to multi-player. Blessing and curse perhaps?