• addicted2088 - August 8, 2012 3:43 p.m.

Completely agree. As someone who was never interested in RPG gameplay and started playing them because he heard they had great stories with character interaction etc, I loved Mass Effect 2. While ME1 was also great (and the story was better in a surprising awe-inspiring way with a more 'what the hell' feeling), its gameplay was the usual RPG type, which I have no interest in. I have never understood what role the player plays by levelling up and looting and exploring. I look for a great story and characters. And while ME1 was great, ME2's personal story with the characters was just amazing (even though the wow factor of ME1 was missing). And the gameplay was also more shooter like and was more convenient for me, which I enjoyed as RPG gameplay is not my forte. So it was a complete package. ME3 made the combat even more wonderful, but the story (which had lots of problems but was still good) didn't match up to ME2, and the ending disappointed me so much that on the 2nd playthrough I played only for the combat and put decisions etc on auto mode. I've played ME2 4 times now, and loved it each time. I know people will call out blasphemy because of me saying what I said about RPG gameplay, but what to do, I'm just a guy who got into RPGs because he loves great stories, not because RPG gameplay attracted him. A noob in short when it comes to RPGs, haha. Still waiting for an answer to why looting and killing and levelling up is considered role-playing (must have something to do with the original pen and paper game) I though the word role-playing came from the part we played in the story with all those decisions etc :D But in the end, Mass Effect 2 is my most favourite game ever. After Star Wars KOTOR. Oh, and Lair of the Shadow Broker the best DLC I played, most enjoyable two hours :D
  • Irish93 - August 8, 2012 3:46 p.m.

Not to nitpick but it's the SSV Normandy not the USS :P
  • ThatFanInThePeacoat - August 8, 2012 3:50 p.m.

I think the RPG and third-person shooter elements were blended better in the original. This is mostly because the RPG elements were still in a more balanced ratio than in the sequel, in which, the RPG elements take a back seat to the action. This was probably a bit necessary, but I would still have liked there to have been more expansion on the skills and powers side. It's a tricky issue for me. I'll agree with the article that the Mako, item system, limited battle dialogue, and sucked in the original game, but what was wrong with the space racism? That served as an allegory to IRL racism. It was still present in the sequel, so I'm not sure why it's listed as only a Mass Effect flaw. That was probably the point of making the aliens the most interesting and likeable characters: it shows that being bigoted and isolationist limits your social experiences. And Ashley? She was an interesting character. I didn't like her attitude towards my alien bros, but interpersonal conflict among allies makes for more interesting interaction. She served as a good view into the side of humanity that didn't quite trust other species but weren't militant about it, a la Cerberus. ...still romanced Liara though. The ability to lose squadmates in the final battle did make it much more intense, I can't argue with that. My inner perfectionist was screaming inside of me whenever I had to make a decision on who would do what (although some were obvious). I'm still torn between the two, but if I had to choose one, I would go with the original since it handled the mood and atmosphere of exploration better, and had a consistent theme of technology going too far.
  • TheRealAce - August 8, 2012 3:54 p.m.

I disagree. ME1 was definitely the best for it's story, after the start of ME2 the game got old extremely fast with it's repetitive loyalty missions.
  • Clovin64 - August 8, 2012 4:20 p.m.

"...turning the action RPG into a shooter that could stand toe-to-toe with some of the best in the genre." I had to stifle a snort here. Compared to dedicated shooters like Gears of War and Vanquish, ME2's shooting is pretty slow, clunky and just plain bland. Aside from that sentance, I agree with just about everything else. ME2 has a pretty strong case for being my favourite game this gen, even ahead of games like Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim.
  • stefan-heisenberg - August 8, 2012 4:28 p.m.

"How the story plays out is really up to you. Choices are presented throughout the game, both large and small, that completely change the future of the series." Nope. It's all the same. Choices mean shit. If you want a rundown on just how absolutely garbage ME2's plot was, check out this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rR558wTjOUU
  • Markoose16 - August 8, 2012 4:31 p.m.

I preferred the story of the first particularly the final boss, convincing Saren to change his mind and then taking his own life was much better than bizzare giant human robot thing that reminded me of the final boss from Star Fox 64. I went back a tried to play ME1 after finishing ME3 but it's just too much of a chore now. The inventory is a mess and the gameplay just feels too slow having now played the sequels. Maybe some of the features needed to be refined rather than removed though, like the inventory, mako, elevators. The experience and leveling-up part was stripped down too much in ME2 though but was probably done right in ME3. I do agree that ME2 is the best though something is just missing from ME3 that made the other 2 so much fun. For example I played through ME1 3 or 4 times, ME2 5 or 6 times, ME3 one time and i just got bored half way through a second playthrough.
  • nikolaj-buchert - August 8, 2012 4:33 p.m.

Mass Effect 2 was the worst of the series in all areas except for graphics. The plot was twisted almost entirely away from what Me1 and 3 dealed with and combat was too simple and boring.
  • cory-smith - August 8, 2012 4:58 p.m.

Combat too simple and boring? Twisted plot? Worst in the series? These statements do not register in my mind. What the hell are you smoking, son?
  • azimech49 - August 8, 2012 6 p.m.

i do believe that too! but just got boring of ranting about me2 in the comments xD
  • Persason - August 8, 2012 4:34 p.m.

I find ME2 to be the greatest of all three games due to a few reasons. The exploration element of the game was great and the characters where awesome too. While they could have added some more RPG elements in ME2 and 3 I still would prefer the superior characters and universe in ME2. ME3 was not as great as the other two games but still good. Mainly because it did not really create that atmosphere that ME2 and 1 did. I did not really care for the characters. I never really knew who James Vega was. There was not much to really explore in ME3 all the hubs like Illium, Noveria Tuchanka and Omega were gone. We only got the Citidel.
  • Sid 6.7 - August 8, 2012 4:50 p.m.

I've done my fair share of adventure gaming, from the early 90's to now it's been up & down finding decent subversive storyline with great game play mechanics. ME1 was awesome in it's own right, customizations & yes the Mako were my favorites. I just loved exploring the ME universe driving in a space jeep finding relics & seeing other eastern eggs they employed. ME2 is still my favorite, the mining I think people didn't get. If u took the time to read the history of the planets there is a whole other back story & tells some interesting bits about the protheans & other alien races. There was a clear mission & you really got to know your crew with helping them out to create loyalty. And finally, the final battle is what all games should look at as a template: the battle towards the final stand should make u tense with anticipation with finally getting there learning something new about the story & having to fight a huge awesome monster for closure. ME2 did all of that with flying colors. ME3 for me still has its place in the ranks as well as providing MP which gives it it's own personality & with the extended ending really brought true closer to the trilogy. It's sad to see it go but Bioware did what the set out to do. It's bittersweet.
  • AOprinciple - August 8, 2012 4:57 p.m.

I heartily agree, minus that multiplayer in the third iteration was "enthralling" (it was NOT). Mass Effect 3, on the other hand...
  • ronald-m-davie - August 8, 2012 6:36 p.m.

ME2, in my opionion was the best out of the three ME games. Mass Effect 1 had good storyline and a good plot (stopping a rogue agent before he destroys your species), it had a interesting moral decesion (do I save Ashley who is mistrustful of aliens or do I save kaiden who witnessed some friends being abused by an alien?). I wished to save them both, but it was just not possible. And to those who didnt like the combat system or found ME to be a slow game, Mass effect has never been a third person shooter type of game. ME has always been a game / series where you interacted with squad - mates and / or other persons and your decisions / choices about how you responded during those interactions. If you want a combat first game go and pick up a gears of war/ halo/ Call of Duty game and play it. ME3 took what made the Mass Effect game what it was, the interaction between your shepard and the rest of the people, be it squad - mates or other npc's and how you reacted to it that determined your moral standing. If you were a paragon person you had a more enlightened, i guess, way of looking at things. If a renegade you looked at things more of how can i make this work for me way.
  • ryan-wilkinson - August 8, 2012 6:49 p.m.

I say that Mass Effect 2 had made my day when I first played it. I couldn't stop replaying the game and same with Mass Effect 3. I love the work and effort for the Mass Effect franchise. :)
  • cody-williams - August 8, 2012 6:55 p.m.

I agree completely with everything in this article except for part that said Ashley was one of the things that made me1 not as good as it could have been, yes I know she was racist towards aliens but she kind of got over that later. The Mass Effect series is my favorite series ever nothing will ever be better than Mass Effect!
  • ronoc009 - August 8, 2012 7:50 p.m.

In my opinion listing in descending order. Best main story: 3(minus the ending), 1 , 3(with ending), 2 side quests: 2, 1, 3 Gameplay: 3,2,1 Characters Development/interaction: 2,1,3 Overall ME1 was my favorite due to the overall feel of the universe, ME2 comes in second due to its fantastic characters. ME3 comes in dead last due to the dismay that was the games sidequests and for the fact that i cant stand the ending even after the extended cut. I can see why they picked 2 because it is the best middle ground for the series
  • profile0000 - August 8, 2012 7:57 p.m.

I'm with ya, Coop. ME2 was absolutely great. It's the only game of the trilogy I have played through entirely more than once. I got half-way through a second playthrough of 1, and am not really interested in going through 3 again (even though I loved it). I beat ME2 three times. Love that game.
  • rohithkumar_sp - August 8, 2012 10:12 p.m.

Assassin's Creed 2 was also a near perfect game
  • vincent-wolf - August 8, 2012 11:56 p.m.

You kidding? I near fell asleep playing it. I don't see any point in this article, ME2 really IS a near perfect game and I don't think many ppl would argue with that. What they've done to series with 3d game is unforgivable.