We Recommend

• winner2 - May 8, 2013 2:01 p.m.

This ain't reading rainbow GR, enough of the nandy pandy acceptance bullshit during the week of hate. Or we'll have to start hating you, and we love you too much.
  • Krazee - May 8, 2013 8:28 p.m.

Amen
  • Temperance11 - May 8, 2013 11:46 a.m.

Is this "The Week of Hate" or "The Week of Stop Hating" GR? Because now I'm confused.
  • APerfidiousDane - May 8, 2013 11:15 a.m.

I don't know a single person that hates AAA games because they're AAA games. Most of them hate specific games for specific reasons. I'd be more than happy to give my love to the big budget games that deserve them. Keyword, DESERVE. Don't expect us to love every AAA game because it's a AAA and we owe it to the industry. They owe it to us to make good AAA games and in return they get our money, love, and gratitude. Also, people have this thing called preferences that aren't always on spot with another persons preference. I feel like this entire article is full of assumptions and ignorant statements.
  • J-Fid - May 8, 2013 10:13 a.m.

My concept of GR logic: Celebrate Week of Hate, Tells us to stop hating. Regardless of my opinion of COD (which isn't good) and AAA games in general, this is not acceptable Week of Hate material, and as a long time fan of this site, I am very disappointed.
  • death4us - May 8, 2013 9 a.m.

For me games have to be good for me to like them. I am not going to like them just because they are an AAA game. So stop repainting the old jalopy and passing it off as a new already and come up with something new. Many game series have made good changes to improve each game without alienating the old fan base.
  • ZuzuPachulia - May 8, 2013 8:58 a.m.

Thought this was the week of HATE not acceptance >:(
  • Brocyclopedia - May 8, 2013 8:57 a.m.

I don't hate AAA games, but I do hate COD. It's stagnating the industry. Now everyone wants super realistic bullshit. What happened to lighthearted fun games? And no one is willing to play anything else but that. Gears Judgment is already dead there were 4 people in one of the playlists last night.
  • rodger-walker - May 8, 2013 3:40 p.m.

COD doesnt count as realistic. You are shooting laser guns that look like real guns at people jumping and diving and running around like chickens with their heads cut off. The Arma series is where the realism is, and no one knows about it partially because its PC only.
  • CabooseJuice - May 8, 2013 7:34 p.m.

There's basically a whole console for lighthearted fun games, hello Wii U. If it's not there, its on sale on Steam. Really I don't see games striving for hyper realism besides ARMA, unless super realistic now means set in modern day with guns and with people that look like... well, people. Even CoD hit its "realism" peak at World at War. As for stagnating the industry, a LOT gamers, (though we hate using that word for the CoD playing scum, right?) play and want them, so they produce to meet the demand. They companies making the lighthearted games aren't switching sides, they're still making the same type of games despite some illusions caused by the dev team adding something akin to killstreaks (cough Halo 4 cough). That sub industry exists on a different level. If it ever gets to the point where the companies are all switching to CoD like franchises, then it becomes majority rules anyway since that won't happen unless people buy them, to buy them they must enjoy them, and who are we to deny them that? So play your games, and show other people the different types you enjoy, if they like them they play them, if not they don't simple as that. But CoD isn't at fault. It's the fault of every gamer, if it can be defined as a fault at all, which it isn't for MANY gamers. Just look at the sales charts on those games. So just spread some different ideas and the industry may follow, Minecraft was a great start, keep the ball rolling.
  • wadesmit - May 8, 2013 8:56 a.m.

I hate AAA more than before. #Weekofhate
  • S.Darkn3ss - May 8, 2013 8:50 a.m.

“Pretty sure though that there will be some "bros" out there who's panties get wet from this announcement lol. The series died after Black Ops / Modern Warfare 3 to me. Now it's just like Guitar Hero; "Oh hey look another one! Too bad I'm not buying it ‘cause it's the same old shit!" lol”. Sounds like something I would say.....Oh wait, cause that is what I said. I feel special, my quote got used in a segment for GR lol.
  • Rhymenocerous - May 8, 2013 8:28 a.m.

The first time I heard AAA I thought it just meant really, seriously, REALLY good. Now I know it's actually just referring to large budgets - and therefore more mainstream marketing (adverts at half-time for example).
  • mafyooz - May 8, 2013 7:12 a.m.

AAA games are great in themselves, but when the same game is rehashed every year the franchise gets stagnant, Guitar Hero and CoD being great examples of this. On the other side though, if developers change things too much they risk alienating fans so to some extent they can't win! (Without wanting to start a war about which is the best Final Fantasy I personally can't stand the more recent ones). Bioshock Infinite is a pretty good example of how to achieve a middle ground between innovation and familiarity, and games like GTA stay pretty fresh by not having new ones churned out every 12 months
  • taokaka - May 8, 2013 7:07 a.m.

The whole COD controversy just proves that the entire gaming community is just a bunch of copycat sheep. Seriously, I liked COD 4 and also 5 because of just how retro the idea of a WWII shooter is (hello nineties anyone?). When 6 came out everybody loved how innovative the noob tube was but I only liked the airport scene with the russian blokes which was so anti-mainstream that the mainstream lashed out against it. As a trendsetter everybody started copying my disdain for the franchise and now it's so hated that I have no choice but to pick up Ghosts because of how crap it will be and then I will start a trend of people "rediscovering" the franchise, ironically of course. Also nice article...... for a two year old. I could make a more coherent argument by smashing a live kitten into my keyboard. AAA games have been dead even longer than PC gaming or JRPGs, seriously we should look to companies like zynga for how to advance, their practices are shit but they are huge and make a lot of non AAA games which make them money. But zynga just screw their customers out of money is what you're probably thinking, well we're mindless conformist sheep who don't know any better, a company can charge whatever they want as long as we get the distinction of earning the label of hardcore gamer. #weekofhate
  • Hobogonigal - May 9, 2013 10:31 a.m.

I disagree vehemently with your conjecture. In ones opinion, the best part about COD 6 was the music which sounded every time you went up a level. The refreshing and invigorating sensation of having the game yell at you every five seconds is yet to be totally mastered by any other franchise or genre, apart from a feeble attempt by Bulletstorm, released the often forgotten 'Shooter Renaissance' period. You are inherently wrong by stating that the JRPG genre is on the brink of extinction as it is a well commented fact in the media (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDaKZ6X1oxE) that 83% of the planet's population (a total of 105 billion people) have invested over 40% of their lifetimes into the grinding of games in this genre. It is even rumored that 20% of this time is spent trying to catch upskirt shots of the lead female characters. Indie games are the poison of the industry as they are all awful in every way. Ad incunabulis, games such as Fez, Natural Selection 2, Hotline Miami, The unfinished Swan, Mark of the Ninja etc. are all awful as they do not have graphics that could be considered on the same level as infinitely superior titles such as 3(Crysis, Far Cry or Battlefield). And in today's day and age, all intelligent consumers desire from their videogames is eye-melting, fourth-wall toppling graphics that require expensive machines to run. As well as games with motion controls, touch screens, accelerometers, online multiplayer, online leaderboards, online stat progression, over exaggerated action set pieces, perk leveling trees with integrated experience system, player customisation, weapon customisation, boob physics, hair physics, wet clothing physics, wet boob physics, lighting effects, screen blur, splt story progression, diverging conversation paths, sex scenes, homosexual sex scenes, trans-species sex scenes, voice control, holographic projection, television integration, social media integration, video recording, screenshot capturing, familiar character that spews one-liners and recognisable box-art depicting the protagonist moodily walking forwards carrying a firearm looking off-center as an explosion is underway out of view to the side all bundled into one. If a game does not meet at least 50i% of these criteria it is destined to fail. If the development team is fired shortly before the game is released for no reason, that just adds to the edginess of its appeal. So in conclusion, ostriches. #weekofhate
  • JarkayColt - May 8, 2013 6:12 a.m.

Hmmm. Nope. I think the hate is justified. If anything, games do need to scale back with their budgets. All of these studio closures and whatnot certainly signify overambition, and I think many companies have been trying to bite off more than they can chew. Also, there comes a point where annual releases and sequels start to grind a bit. The blockbuster doesn't really help because all that money goes into making the same thing again next year (and for lining certain people's pockets I guess). The industry is definitely in a state of turmoil and I think the AAA mindset is both the product and the cause (to an extent.)
  • Lurkero - May 8, 2013 6:04 a.m.

I don't hate AAA games, but I definitely buy fewer of them. I am also less interested in them. Too many AAA games lack creativity and if I am gonna spend full price on a game I want an experience...not something I have done before. Assassin's Creed is the perfect example of a series that had a lot of creative potential that was stifled by the desire to annualize revenue from the franchise. Assassin's Creed could have been so much, but in the end the games did not vary enough to get my purchase. A smart consumer would have only purchased Creed 1, Creed 2, and Creed 3. Everything between is unnecessary.
  • WaInut - May 8, 2013 6:10 a.m.

I'd actually go as far as to say Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood are the best Assassin's Creed games. Brotherhood and Revelations were definitely a better game then Assassin's Creed 3.
  • Lurkero - May 8, 2013 6:23 a.m.

I agree that AC2 and Brotherhood should be considered the best in the series, but as a consumer I would not have wanted to buy Brotherhood if I already bought AC2. I would have been satisfied and happy to wait for AC3 (skipping Revelations).
  • ncurry2 - May 8, 2013 5:46 a.m.

Not sure if trolling for not... Does anybody actually think all AAA games are stifling the industry? Hell no. You don't see pages of forums posts complaining about bio shock or skyrocket or gta. It's games that get annualized that people have a problem with, myself included. You explicitly describe the hate that cod gets which is annualized and then you just say that bio shock and uncharted are in the same boat. People recognize when developers put time and energy into making a great product and they get irritable when the devs get to be lazy and rush products to get one out a year. Completely different things