Topics

hate

• MrJechgo - September 7, 2013 6:34 a.m.

For TvC, blame the FGC for being a bunch of wii-o-phobics. That game is essentially miles better than UMvC3, with combo breaking mecanics, 2-on-2 fighting and for the goodness sake, a far better roster on Capcom's behalf. For PSASBR, blame Sony for not picking up the characters that people wanted. As if Activision didn't want Sony to add Crash and Spyro... then again, you could blame the mecanic of winning only by using super moves...
  • sandplasma - September 6, 2013 6:24 a.m.

Smash Bros fn sucked. I don't know why PS decided to make PS All Stars. Heck I don't know what these ''millions of players'' saw in that game. Give me Powerstone any day.
  • CitizenWolfie - September 6, 2013 12:27 a.m.

As others have pointed out, most of these were flops because the developers and publishers DIDN'T listen to fans or half-assed the job when they did. Look at Silent Hill HD - they listened to fans in that they released a HD collection of Silent Hill but they did a lazy job of it and released it completely broken. At least Nintendo take the time to improve upon their re-releases such as OoT and Wind Waker. And then you have a company like Square - all the fans have asked for is a modernised or HD version of Final Fantasy VII like that PS3 tech demo. But what they do is make inferior spin-offs that do nothing for the legacy of the original and wonder why they are losing fan support. In the cases where they DID listen, there has usually been some odd decision made in either the release or development of their respective games. Capcom listened and released TvC over in the west but they made it exclusive to a console synonymous with casual gamers. Sega listened and finally made a 2D platform Sonic, but they tried to please everyone and it became a watered-down compromise that wasn't quite good enough to satisfy either set of fans.
  • fattoler - September 5, 2013 7:45 p.m.

What's wrong with Sonic Adventure?
  • millarrp - September 5, 2013 6:30 p.m.

it's a shame that Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom didn't do better, but to be honest, I don't recall much (if any) advertising for it.
  • sandplasma - September 6, 2013 6:25 a.m.

It didn't do well for the sole reason that it was on Wii.
  • snipes101 - September 5, 2013 2:52 p.m.

I think there are more examples or the developers fucking up a fan request than there is of the fans screwing things up. Granted, I hate whiney fans a lot, but it is ultimately in the hands of the developer to deliver a solid product. Just look at Mass Effect 2 and 3 - people were confused by the inventory in the first game, so the devs dumbed the games down and all but stripped inventory management out completely.
  • Clovin64 - September 5, 2013 7:01 a.m.

As a huge Silent Hill fan I was always bugging myself to buy the HD collection saying "dammit, why havent I bought the HD Collection yet? SH2 and SH3 are two of my favourite games ever!" Then I heard in detail about how Konami completely botched the transfer (something about porting over unfinished beta versions of the games instead of the finished ones), and I just thank the gods I dodged that bullet. I'll just stick to the PS2 originals thanks. On the subject of FFVII, I would have prefered a full fledged RPG sequel with all the original playable party members instead of a remake. But thats just me.
  • shawksta - September 4, 2013 11:38 p.m.

Interesting Article. Some points make sense but others are iffy as the games themselves were off. Tatsunoko, Whatever Capcom was thinking, it was meant to stay in Japan. Even with the whole casual Wii audience shenanigans, the fact of the matter is that people wanted it in the US but apparently it was underwhelming amount and it frankly wouldve done better on other consoles. Its a shame really, the game was embarrassingly more balanced than Marvel 3/Ultimate
  • dangomushi - September 4, 2013 9:49 p.m.

If nintendo listened to me, we'd already have 9 games about Yoshi making out with Lickitung.
  • GOD - September 4, 2013 9:24 p.m.

I have nothing against All Stars personally. So what if they make a mascot brawler? There have been a million mascot racers. My issue was the core gameplay. I didn't need it to be exactly like smash bros, but I'm not a fan of the only way to defeat people is with supers. For me that really makes inconsequential all the rest of the combat. It's like if you made a mode is Smash Bros. where the only way to get points was to get KOs with the final smash, and that would just piss me off. It makes the whole strategy of the game, get points to get supers to get insta kills, and so you really don't have any of that fun combat and tense showdowns. Go ahead, hit me into this wall. You can't ring me out until that bar says you can. Literally the most important part of the game that they didn't copy was the part that I liked the most. I played it a relative's house, and it was fun, but I quickly lost interest as everything devolved into Super, Super, Super. Some Supers you literally kill everyone automatically, and at that point I don't even get it. TL;DR: Smash Bros. gets crap from fighting game fans for being too button mashy, and while they're aren't right because you need to know how to effectively dodge and use the appropriate moves to stay in the ring, they also aren't completely wrong in that there aren't as many complex combos whose mastery determine the winner. But somehow All Stars makes it even more mashy so that you literally just beat stuff up, grab the points, and then use super to get insta kills. Bleh. The stages were cool, if not small though.
  • vermicelli - September 4, 2013 8:48 p.m.

Glad Volition didn't listen to the angry Saints Row 2 fans... by sticking to their guns led to two greater sequels that were no longer gta-type clones... The customization in Saints Row 2 was also very overrated, the new customization and upgrades in Saints 3 and IV were better....
  • Oujisama - September 4, 2013 8:03 p.m.

In the end, they need to just ignore these rabid fans who constantly whine about things they either don't really want or have no idea about. These people are just being irrational, so they need to pick out the constructive criticism about of the ridiculous complaining.
  • Swedish_Chef - September 4, 2013 7:32 p.m.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom was great. The problem was it was a fighting game only released on the Wii and half the roster coming from a company which is obscure in the west. That said I'd love to see an updated/re-balanced HD version of the game, although Capcom's licensing agreement with Tatsunoko has run out so it's very unlikely.
  • shawksta - September 4, 2013 11:32 p.m.

It was clear Tatsunoko was meant for Japan only, but the fans were anxious and wanted it but then end up not buying it. I loved that game
  • cricket0 - September 4, 2013 7:27 p.m.

DmC: Devil May Cry The fans wanted Nero out of the picture, and since Team Devils (I think thats the nickname they had) were set on having the next trilogy star Nero, they left to go make other games like Bayonetta, but Capcom knew that fans still wanted another game. So they made a game without Nero, and then every one of them flipped out when he didnt have white hair. Over several months of DMC fans complaining, Ninja Theory eventually had to appease them by making Dante's Devil Trigger turn his hair white in combat, which wasnt what he was supposed to do. If you look at early concept art and posters, Dante has a very small tuft of white hair which would grow as he goes deeper and more involved in Limbo and fighting demons. Also, Dante was going to have more story and character given to him, but fans then bitched about the new one "being emo" when they hadnt actually heard any dialog up to that point. So the game was then littered with one liners, cause the fans loved Dante's one-liners from previous games. This made the game seem more unfocused and imbalanced in its tone, and the fans proceeded to raid Metacritic to give it scores of 0 before even being able to play it, with the average score on day 1 for all versions being around 1.4. So in the end, if fans didnt complain about stuff that was either pointless of unestablished, it would have been a much better written and aesthetically coherent game.
  • Arobadope - September 4, 2013 8:30 p.m.

Team Devils was the name for Kamiya and his team not the actual DMC team as far as I remember unless they kept that moniker for themselves after Kamiya and them left, hence why Bayonetta's team was nicknamed Team Angels.
  • Arobadope - September 4, 2013 8:31 p.m.

Also Kamiya and his team left in 06, 2 years before DMC4, and his team actually didn't touch the dmc series after DMC1, most became a part of Clover who did Viewtiful Joe, Okami, and GodHand.
  • cricket0 - September 5, 2013 9 p.m.

Oh. Thanks for the insight on this matter!
  • XNam360 - September 4, 2013 4:07 p.m.

I can think of a few examples. Resident Evil: The slow but precise shooting style of RE4 was perfect, but fans kept demanding more standard fast-action shooting game mechanics and that's what they've gotten. Since then, the series has become less like the perfect RE4 style and instead more and more like every other shooting game series out there. Dead Rising: One of the top complaints about DR1 was that survivors got killed too easily, so what we got in DR2 were survivors who could pretty much always run straight through crowds of zombies unharmed. Escorting them around lost all its challenge.