Topics

Halloweek

• Pwnz0r3d - October 27, 2011 6:38 p.m.

Hmm.. i remember meeting the Beserker for the first time in Gears of War scared the living crap out of me. When you encounter an invincible locomotive that kills you when it hears or smells you while letting out a shrill cry and barreling down a narrow hallway towards you, thats frightening. The Lambent Beserker in Gears 3 wasn't nearly as scary, although it was a far more menacing version. That encounter just didn't feel the same. I still skip the sections of the first game that deal with Beserkers. Amnesia surprisingly doesn't scare me like it should; perhaps its because every time i play i always think about the reaction videos and the responses made (which are utterly hilarious). I find that repeating them while playing lightens the mood a bit. Also, heh that Bear in Condemned was awesome. Yeah it did scare the crap out of me, but gave me such an adrenaline rush. The fact that your objective was changed to RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!! made it much more heart pumping (and hilarious).
  • CourierSix - October 27, 2011 6:37 p.m.

The most terrifying moment that I've ever faced during a game had to be the first dead space. So there I am, calmly going through the game's intro, and then without warning everything goes to hell. You're separated, in the dark, surrounded by the monsters, and the only thing you're told is RUN. I still remember how relieved I felt to survive that. Other games have definitely creeped me out, but that is the one moment that I remember my instincts kicking in for survival.
  • Teegro - October 27, 2011 6:36 p.m.

My scariest moment didn't even happen while playing! I got GTA III on pc when it was released and played it, well, a LOT! So much so that while I was out walking to my barbers I saw a blue, four door pickup truck driving the opposite way I was walking and my first, genuine, reaction when I saw it was "Oh F**K! The Columbians have found me!!!" I jumped in the middle of the street before the sensible part of my brain kicked in and reminded me that those particular Columbians didn't exist in real life and that I shouldn't play so much. Didn't stop me though!
  • roryking1981 - October 27, 2011 6:35 p.m.

My scariest moment had to be scissorman from clock tower. Unlike other games, you couldn't fight back and had to hope he didn't find you. I think thats one of the reasons I like amnesia so much. It reminds me of how I felt playing clock tower.
  • NubberzTheHedgehog - October 27, 2011 6:32 p.m.

Mine would have to be the entire level of world 3-1 in Demon's Souls. While it was fairly easy (easy by Demon's Souls standards anyway) I just felt like at any moment I was going to turn a corner into an enemy and have it impale me. Which that did happen more than once.
  • BladedFalcon - October 27, 2011 7:19 p.m.

Oh yeah! I also have to agree here! This level didn't freak me out as much as fatal frame did. but it still put me very damn nervous... you know why i think it was? those damn Mind-flayer bells... It's the only sound you hear trough most of the entirely silent level. And the fact that even if you are well prepared, they CAN kill you rather easily is pretty mortifying.
  • NubberzTheHedgehog - October 27, 2011 8:47 p.m.

What about the guy in the cell or the merchant that sings. Still kind of creeps me out haha.
  • BladedFalcon - October 27, 2011 9:30 p.m.

Yeah... And the moaning of the prisoners. All of those were pretty unnerving... but Iunno, I somehow found the bell to give me the chills the most, maybe because it was the sound that indicated the more imminent danger....
  • winner2 - October 28, 2011 3:11 p.m.

The merchant that sings stopped me in my tracks immediately, it sounded like something to be killed on the spot. I stood outside her cell for a full 2 minutes deciding if i should rush in shield raised or just walk away, i wasn't sure if she was friendly or not.
  • SDHoneymonster - October 28, 2011 4:56 p.m.

I didn't poke this far down the thread before I posted, but I find the Tower really unsettling. It's the first stage; the prison, the guards and even the music for the False Idol boss fight are all properly creepy. And the bells, oh lord the bells...
  • jpbr139 - October 27, 2011 6:25 p.m.

I though I was the only person afraid of Ecco the Dolphin, I loved the sea until I played it, now I can't go near the sea, seems stupid but that game traumatized me. But the one I can´t forget is Illbleed also for Dreamcast, everything in that game was really disturbing. SCARIEST.GAME.EVER.
  • gondarpwns - October 27, 2011 6:22 p.m.

When i was like 6 RE1: Directors cut... when the dog jumped through the window i was so shocked i left and didnt go back to my room for like 30 mins.
  • Corsair89 - October 27, 2011 6:18 p.m.

Believe it or not, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire. Specifically level 8, the sewer level. It was scary for me(I was 6) because of the hideous tentacle monsters that swam in the sewer water and they always had that loud horrible roar. I was so scared of them that I couldn't go into the water even after I killed them. It didn't help that the water was a disgusting greenish brown color. It took me dozens of tries to get past that level, not because it was hard, but because I'd get so frightened whenever I had to go into the water, I turned the game off. And don't even get me started on the boss, which was a f*cking giant tentacle monster which you couldn't kill from the ground like the normal ones.
  • rapmasterRH - October 27, 2011 6:15 p.m.

For me nothing tops the moment when I watched my brother play the original resi and you see the first Zombie. Had nightmares for days. Dead Space was Creepy and did scare me and disturb several times throughout. I hated the moments where you were stuck in a room and you could here sh*t moving about but you couldn't see them as it was pitch black and then some light source popped up and boom the f*ckers came right for ya.
  • lordgodalming - October 27, 2011 6:15 p.m.

Somehow when I played Silent Hill 2 I had never heard about Pyramid Head's infamous first entrance, during which he...abuses those lady mannequins. That scene freaked me out so badly (and on so many levels) that I shut off the game and sold it. Dead Space and the infinitely scarier Doom 3 were like Kirby's Dreamland compared to that.
  • D0CCON - October 27, 2011 6:15 p.m.

I just got Amnesia, but haven't played it yet so that my change what scares me most in a game, but for now, Fallout New Vegas wins. I remember having to find some HEMP whats-its for the Brotherhood of Steel and that mission brought me to Vault 22. The first sign something was off was that there was a sign next to the vault saying that the plants kill people (not to mention the off-ness of a massive amount of greenery in the middle of the Mojave Wastlend). For awhile, there was nothing scary in the vault and I thought the sign was just there to keep intruders away. Then I read some computer entries about how different methods were being developed to kill pests. One of them involved a disease that would kill a pest, take over its body, go to the pest's home, and infect all of the other insects to kill them. Future entries showed that those side effects were happening to humans. Sure enough, after walking around the vault for awhile, I started getting attacked by feral green men with plant bits growing out of them. What made this scary was that these green men would hide, perfectly camouflaged in many cases, inside of the plants and could attack at a moments notice. Luckily I had a flamethrower equipped, but even then, no game made me waste ammo like that one did as I torched every piece of greenery I went by. Not to mention that that vault door was the only one that was open to the outside world, which made me wonder if Fallout's world could be overrun by that infectious disease.
  • Izanagi22 - October 27, 2011 6:14 p.m.

Oddly enough, I played through Dead Space, yet I still got scared the most when I played Persona 4. It isn't an explicitly scary game, though it can be when it wants to. I almost ran out of the room when I realized that I was sympathizing with Shadow Kanji.
  • EliteBouncer - October 27, 2011 6:08 p.m.

I was about six or seven years old when Zelda II the Adventure of Link came out. I got all the way to the end of the game. In the last dungeon you go walking across an empty bridge. When you get to the middle a GIANT F*CKING SLIME drops on you from out of nowhere! It was so unexpected and startling that I can vividly remember my heart jumping and I flew out of my seat, turned that Nintendo off, and ran upstairs.
  • AMayer - October 27, 2011 6:06 p.m.

The first time I played Gears of War, at the end of Act 1 I had retreated into the building only to accidentally skip the cutscene where the game introduces the Berserker. When the Berserker suddenly burst through the wall I was paralyzed. I just watched only to see it obliterate Marcus a second later. I stopped playing for the rest of the evening.
  • kor2disturbed - October 27, 2011 6:05 p.m.

The scariest gaming moment to me would have to be, that time in Bioshock early on when you enter the morgue. You turn left and you see a body float down the small water filled hallway, you walk down some stairs to look at the body and you hear somebody mumbling, you turn right and see a shadow on the wall, you go to check it out and the lights turn off and he disappears. I was 12 when Bioshock came out, and I actually couldn't move, for the first time in my life I was paralyzed with fear. I actually turned the game off, I just couldn't do it. Out of all the scary games I've played, let alone ALL the games I've played that was one of the scariest things I had ever experienced. I can breeze through it now obviously but that was the first and only time I actually just could not get through it the first time.