• Rub3z - April 17, 2013 1:46 a.m.

Augh! So many choices! Okay, so originally I was posting a veritable essay gushing about my fondest memories of gaming with my now-dead best friend who died last year at the age of 19, and it was getting really emotional and stuff. I've since calmed down now and simply decided to save that in Microsoft Word. So I'll tell you guys that my fondest gaming moment would likely be a boss battle in Dark Souls, which I've poured hundreds upon hundreds of hours into. Every, single, damn time I play through again with some other character, some of those boss fights still manage to instill an unrivaled sense of awe. But in terms of satisfaction, I'd likely have to go with the Four Kings boss battle. It's always an incredibly tense affair going it alone, and for me on each of my playthroughs it would be punctuated by a long period of preparation. I mean, just getting to the beginning of the boss fight can be challenge in itself. I always end up running like a madman past a deluge of tough enemies to reach its entrance with as little damage taken as possible. Then there's the setup and presentation. You fall into a dark and pitch-black abyss, and suddenly the music kicks in as ghastly apparitions spawn from the infinite nothingness, one by one, to unleash devastating magical attacks on you. As boss setups go, it's probably one of the most terrifying. Also, you're on a time limit... the bastards will spawn about once a minute or so, so there's an incentive to dole out as much damage as possible to each one that appears in succession lest all four of them gang up on you at once... once that happens, there are few situations in all of gaming that could match how royally screwed you are. Taking them on your lonesome is always a matter of timing, patience, precision and a fair share of risk-taking to ensure you can dole out as much damage as possible to avoid your fate in the black abyss should you not kill them quickly. All that said, you can probably see why besting this challenge is so satisfying. It's an extremely bloody difficult fight, in a game in which a lot of people can't even get past the first, TUTORIAL LEVEL BOSS FIGHT without giving up on the game altogether. Even under some of the best circumstances it doesn't fail to challenge you. That's the beauty of Dark Souls. Challenge and victory through persistence is its own reward.
  • boondocks50 - April 17, 2013 2:32 a.m.

One that i just remembered recently is in SSF4 AE beating the number 12 best Juri on xbl after she taunted me 3 times during the match. I had only played 2 matches before her but after winning that i decided to stop playing for the night and watched the replay like 5 times.
  • Rub3z - April 17, 2013 2:35 a.m.

Human opponents do make the best challenges in games. There's a lot of room for that in Dark Souls as well, it's thrilling to go toe-to-toe with a skilled player.
  • mafyooz - April 17, 2013 12:37 a.m.

@Hollander, I'm pretty sure I know the boss fight you're talking about, if so I had a similar epic struggle! As for me, my local swimming pool had a few arcade games, and I remember finally getting the high score on Defender. I felt like a god among men and felt sure fame and glory would be heaped on me :) (I was only about 6 at the time)
  • 7-D - April 16, 2013 11:44 p.m.

Too many. most recently though: sliding down that big hill in Journey. I started laughing out loud.
  • Fuzunga - April 16, 2013 11:25 p.m.

Maybe the first Bowser level from Mario Galaxy where the music kicks in and it's the same theme from Mario 64. And they did it again in Mario Galaxy 2 where the music plays and it sounds like the same track from the first SMG but it turns out to be an even BETTER version.
  • Stejli - April 16, 2013 11:21 p.m.

The moment you walk out of Midgar in FF VII and you can walk on the world map for the first time. I really don't know why but my friends, my brother and I were feeling so happy at that moment
  • tehtimeisnow - April 17, 2013 4:04 a.m.

That was such a great feeling! Especially the first time I played it, before I knew it was coming. I didn't know a vast world was awaiting me after getting out of Midgar.
  • Rhymenocerous - April 17, 2013 9:35 a.m.

final fantasy stuped gaymez fur littal kids not lyke moder warfare most best realistic gunz and best on xbox cuz of all maps
  • vbsnowsurf - April 17, 2013 8:02 p.m.

Great call, I thought it was going to be a "20th century" game, until I made it out of the city, then aaahhhh 50-70 hours later :)
  • shawksta - April 16, 2013 10:36 p.m.

Oh darn, this is a toughie. I have many, if i had to choose one, im going to go for the oddball of my childhood and say Hey you Pikachu! Its mediocre, but when i was a kid, it was just sunshine and rainbows with Pikachu Everyday and the goddamn soundtrack makes it so peaceful and fun
  • R_U_Guys_From_British - April 16, 2013 7:34 p.m.

My happiest gaming moment would be when I was younger and used to see my cousins regularly, we would play through Final Fantasy 7 and just grind in the battles and say how cool the limit breaks were. My happiest moment more recently would be spending a full weekend just sank into Mass Effect 2 on its release weekend. Don't think I've lost myself in a game as much as I did ME2.
  • ObliqueZombie - April 16, 2013 7:30 p.m.

My most recent is beating my first JRPG: Tales of Graces f. Just last night, actually. As for all time? Geez, I dunno. Getting a new console, my new PC, and any new game usually ranks up high. I love me some new tech.
  • Greyblade - April 16, 2013 7:27 p.m.

If i had to pick one from the top of my heard, I'd have to say watching the ending of To The Moon. I think anyone who has played it would understand.
  • Z-man427 - April 16, 2013 7 p.m.

The first time I defeated Bowser for the third time is definitely mine. I failed that battle so many times and even got grounded from video games when I slammed the controller down in a fit of rage. But when he finally hit that third bomb and landed on his back, the amount of joy that radiated through me was unparalleled.
  • vbsnowsurf - April 16, 2013 6:57 p.m.

Best moment for me was when I lost my save game on Crystalis (NES) back when I was about 7 or 8 years old. My babysitter didn't hold down the reset button before hitting the power button and POOF, a few hours of childhood gone. The best part of this was when I was in my 20's, I bought a complete copy off eBay, box, booklet, maps, everything! I got to replay the game and finally saw the ending after a few hours of work, so frieking worth it!! Finally saw the crazy computer boss at the end, after going through all of the forests and caves, it was crazy to see a computer boss to finish the game. Very glad I never youtube'd the ending and earned it myself.
  • Lolo - April 16, 2013 6:42 p.m.

N64. Super Mario 64. Pilotwings 64. Christmas.
  • Tranquilbez34 - April 16, 2013 6:02 p.m.

My happiest gaming moment came during Christmas 2003 when I got a PS2 which I had no idea I was getting. What made it even sweeter was I had received a copy of The Simpsons: Hit and Run from my grandmother before even knowing I had one. Before the look of disappointment hit me because I didn't have a PS2. I turned around to see my father unwrapping A large present containing a PS2, A Steering Wheel and Gran Turismo 3. I couldn't of given a bigger shit about the Steering Wheel and Gran Turismo 3 (It was dad's gift from Mum). I was too happy knowing that I had received a PS2 after months of having a Nintendo 64 while my friends had PS2's. Even happier that the first game I played on it was one of the greatest Simpsons games of all time! That is my happiest gaming moment.
  • archnite - April 16, 2013 6:01 p.m.

The moment in the MGS4 credits when Big Boss' name shows up and you check your memories of the 800+ hour cutscenes and he's not in any of them. So excited. Also when a certain thing happens in Bioshock Infinite with Song Bird and where you are. I was screaming so loud with joy I couldn't hear the dialogue.
  • dcbernman - April 16, 2013 5:39 p.m.

Look at me, getting all misty eyed. So many good moments, and I can't pin down my favorite... but many of them occurred while playing through Grandia, Skies of Arcadia, and Master of Orion 2. And all the shenanigans while playing Super Smash Bros. and the ending to Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. Ooh and Bastion! And the best part of it all? I know i've still got so much to look forward to. Definitely miss some of the good old fashioned arcades though.
  • tomasfr89 - April 16, 2013 5:34 p.m.

I'm gonna say Rayman Origins, I was grinning like an idiot for the entire game, that game was so happy and cheery it was infectious.
  • Smash_Bro - April 16, 2013 5:25 p.m.

My happiest gaming moments come from Pokemon Ruby Version. I've always been a Pokemon super-fan, but Ruby was the first game that generated ridiculous amounts of joy and adoration. The music, the environments, the heart and soul, the Pokemon... I never had a proper "favourite" poke until Blaziken, though I suppose Lugia was at the top pre-3rd Gen. Nostalgia also plays a huge role, as expected. Many of my favourite childhood memories are from the same period of time when I was frequently playing Ruby.